Tanks for the memories!

Sabrejet

M3 light tank in British desert colours...known to the Brits as "Honeys" because they ran so smoothly compared with British types!

post-8022-1304087823.jpg

Finally, a pair of British FV432 APCs, similar in concept to the US Army's M113. I had the opportunity to drive these around the ranges...great fun...I recommend it!!

post-8022-1304088236.jpg

Sabrejet

Brian Dentino

Brilliant pics Ian! Looks like a real good time. Too bad you are not allowed to check out the "lead down range" option on a museum firing range.......that would have been the icing on the cake! :lol:

Brilliant pics Ian! Looks like a real good time. Too bad you are not allowed to check out the "lead down range" option on a museum firing range.......that would have been the icing on the cake! :lol:

Thanks Brian...it surely would!

Ian

What a comparison, standing next to this vs. today's tanks. It was the workhorse of it's day, known for it's reliability and numbers.....tough combination to beat.

post-8213-1304090282.jpg

What a comparison, standing next to this vs. today's tanks. It was the workhorse of it's day, known for it's reliability and numbers.....tough combination to beat.

post-8213-1304090282.jpg

Indeed it was JS! American industrial might churned 'em out in the thousands. It was a numbers game which the enemy had no chance of matching. For example, everyone knows about the mighty Tiger...but there were only 1200 or so built! A sobering statistic...it took a ratio of 5:1 Shermans to take out a Tiger!! :w00t:

Check this out!

Ian

SilverWings

Ian,

Great pics. Looks like you had a great time. Next stop Duxford and a ride in their B-17??

Greg

Ian,

Great pics. Looks like you had a great time. Next stop Duxford and a ride in their B-17??

Greg

Yes Greg.."Flying Legends" in July. Piston-powered warbird heaven!

Ian :thumbsup:

Last time I was there was October 1986!!

I've definately got to get back over....

You really must Johan. It's changed out of all recognition since then!

Ian :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great pictures. How did you get a kitchen pass today to go play?

I have influence in the right places! ;)

Ian

General Apathy
The world's only running Tiger 1...captured in Tunisia.

post-8022-1304086343.jpg

Hi Ian, well a good choice for a birthday present by Mrs Sabrejet, she did ask me which I thought you would prefer the tank museum and driving or a flower arrangement course, I told her you were a little petal and that it should be the tank driving :lol: . Looks like you had a good day out there and in sunshine. :thumbsup:

A long term friend has always told me that his father was involved in the recovery and transportation of the Tiger I back to England for evaluation during the early part of WWII.

ken