Info needed on WWI Pilot Donald T Hatch

cthomas

Thanks! That's strange though....Here are a couple of pics of the tags and the 50th Aero Sqd. charm holding the tags together. Anyway that # on back will help positively ID him?

post-518-1191865281.jpg

Hello

I have never seen an officer dog tag stamped with an ASN

Obverse of Officer DT seen were usualy stamped with the officer civilian address

Teufelhund

Thank you guys for your input. Looks like they might not be legit. I too had no luck finding a 1st Lt. "Donald T Hatch" on the net or when using Ancestry.com. I figured I'd at least find a draft registration card or maybe a census return with his name but I couldn't find a thing. I did find a few Donald Hatches but they were of a later generation.

-Chuck

I have no idea as to the authenticity of the tags, but I wouldn't write off a guy because he wasn't on Ancestry.com or on the net. I have several WW1-era ancestors who were undoubtedly in the Army but do not show up on Ancestry.com....not even a draft card.

In fact, I have not found a draft card for any of my family who were in the military during that era; all draft cards I've found were of those who stayed civilian and home.

I have no idea as to the authenticity of the tags, but I wouldn't write off a guy because he wasn't on Ancestry.com or on the net. I have several WW1-era ancestors who were undoubtedly in the Army but do not show up on Ancestry.com....not even a draft card.

In fact, I have not found a draft card for any of my family who were in the military during that era; all draft cards I've found were of those who stayed civilian and home.

Thank you for this info thumbsup.gif

I should have known a little better because I've run into the same thing trying to research my grandfather who was in WWI. I couldn't find his draft card either or any other WWI documents to prove his service to Our country for that matter. I will keep searching....

• 1 year later...
Lost Battalion Man

Hey guy,

I'll run through my 50th Aero stuff and see what I find - give me a little time. If he was in the squadron during the time they were in France, I'll know.

Rob

Lost Battalion Man

Sorry guy - Hatch did not serve with the squadron during the time they were in France. He might have been one of the officers assigned to the squadron early on and then transferred out, as when the aero squadrons originally were put together in the states, most of them were formed of enlisted men and the service officer flying personnel and officer ground staff were not assigned until they went over. Any officer flying personnel assigned in the states were usually temporary. It might also have been that he was assigned in the reformed version of the squadron that existed for a short time after the war was over, in the 1920's. My money would be on that he was an early officer assignment and was transferred out though. That might also explain the excellent condition of the tags. No wear from no wear!

The 'charm' is from a 50th Aero Squadron reunion medal, or pin. They held lots of these through the years, and at each one the attendee got a ribbon with a little name tag on top and that 50th emblem medal hanging from the bottom. I have a number of them in my collection.

Need more detail, just ask!

BTW, I left you a post about the fantastic 2nd Army photo collection you scored! Drop me a line on that, won't you?

Rob

Thank you for this info thumbsup.gif

I should have known a little better because I've run into the same thing trying to research my grandfather who was in WWI. I couldn't find his draft card either or any other WWI documents to prove his service to Our country for that matter. I will keep searching....

I'm not sure I would write this guy off just because he's not in the usual references. These junior grade officers were moved around a lot and were attached to several units as needed. Could have been in administration and a non pilot, etc. I have had several officer's ID tags stamped just as yours (different div.,etc.) Just my 2 cents worth -

Best, DJ

I'm not sure I would write this guy off just because he's not in the usual references. These junior grade officers were moved around a lot and were attached to several units as needed. Could have been in administration and a non pilot, etc. I have had several officer's ID tags stamped just as yours (different div.,etc.) Just my 2 cents worth -

Best, DJ

Dennis-

Thank you for your input. I will keep an eye out for Hatch as I delve deeper into studying WWI aviation.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have info on a 1st Lt. Donald T Hatch of the 50th Aero squadron? His soldier# is 107114 if that helps. Thanks!

Cthomas: Several years ago I searched for an officer based on the "serial number" associated with an officer's tunic. Mitch Yokelson, then senior archivist in the Military Records Division, in the old downtown National Archives told me that U. S. Army officers did not have serial numbers during WWI. Only enlisted men had them. Since then I have, on several occasions, confirmed what Yokelson told me. It's a sure thing that those are an enlisted man's dog tags. I hope this is useful to you. drmessimer