Superior reproduction M-1941 Field Jacket.

Sabrejet

I've noticed that folks frequently ask, "What's the best ****** out there?" when it comes to reproduction GI military clothing. One of the most popular and sought after items is the humble M-1941 / OD Field Jacket...the basis for any WW2 G1 impression. Consequently, there have been many repro examples produced in order to satisfy this demand...some better than others!

I've owned several of them in the past. I must add here that I'm not a re-enactor. I just wear them as leisure jackets to shows etc., so I can't comment on wear and tear in field conditions. However, the example featured here is, in my opinion, the best currently available in terms of its look, construction, attention to detail and wearability. I have several originals in my collection to which this one compares very favourably. My previous M-41 was by ATF. I'm not saying it was a "bad" one...but this one is definitely superior (IMHO)

The manufacturer is De Brabander Sportswear Co which I believe is a Belgian...or possibly Dutch company? I purchased my example at the "War & Peace" show in the UK so can't quote you an actual supplier. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

post-8022-1303981624.jpgpost-8022-1303981635.jpg

At least the maker tag clearly indicates it is a repro (until it is washed out at least). I think it is something good in order to avoid it being sold as an original (identifying a repro only with the maker name can be hard when you are unexceprienced like I am).

Ben

At least the maker tag clearly indicates it is a repro (until it is washed out at least). I think it is something good in order to avoid it being sold as an original (identifying a repro only with the maker name can be hard when you are unexceprienced like I am).

Ben

That's the perennial problem with any good repro. This field jacket with some honest wear and tear, a few stains and maybe a suitably aged patch or stripes would be quite difficult to distinguish from an original by all but the most experienced collectors.

Sabrejet

Hi Ian,

Glad someone else out there likes to keep on top of all the repro's out there. Pays off in the long run! One of the things I've been trying to do is buy examples of all the good repro's I can afford, so I'll know what to look for when these are passed off for the real thing (seen it done, even with the worst repro's you could imagine!).

These are good and I've considered getting one myself for reenacting, however, the cuff stitching is always a good indicator of a repro, buttons aren't quite right (close though) and those cheap Talon zips are also pretty obvious, being made of inferior materials when compared to originals or the better repro's out there. Having said that, for a mass produced jacket (I know many suppliers have bought these off Peter and are also selling them) they are leagues ahead of everything else currently on offer over here in Europe.

If they didn't have the cuff stitching I'd get one and replace the zipper and buttons with originals.

ATF's new generation are meant to be the best available, but with so much other crap to buy at the moment I simply can't justify that amount for one. Yet! They also have good reproduction Talon zippers on them, made of far better materials than the ones above.

WWII Impressions also look stunning, but I have yet to see one first hand so can't really comment on them, other than saying I like the look of the pics on their site.

Poss

Hi Poss. It's not 100% perfect, but that was my point about only experienced collectors being able to readily ID a worn/used one because we tend to be such "sad" stitch-counters....know what I mean?!

Ian ;)

Hi Poss. It's not 100% perfect, but that was my point about only experienced collectors being able to readily ID a worn/used one because we tend to be such "sad" stitch-counters....know what I mean?!

Ian ;)

Ian I sure do! :) That's what makes us such a pain in the backside for all the fakers. Lets keep it that way! You do make a very valid point though, that when these are worn and the labels are missing/washed out, it will be difficult for those new to this hobby, and I feel sorry for those starting out because of the standards of reproductions now.

I personally think we should have a reference section with loads of pictures of repro's of all sorts of items. Not necessarily descriptions of why they can be spotted as such (could fall into the wrong hands and make things even worse for us!), but just lots if images of the details so we can use it as a reference to compare against items we see for sale and are unsure about. Just an idea - thought others might like it.

Poss

Ian I sure do! :) That's what makes us such a pain in the backside for all the fakers. Lets keep it that way! You do make a very valid point though, that when these are worn and the labels are missing/washed out, it will be difficult for those new to this hobby, and I feel sorry for those starting out because of the standards of reproductions now.

I personally think we should have a reference section with loads of pictures of repro's of all sorts of items. Not necessarily descriptions of why they can be spotted as such (could fall into the wrong hands and make things even worse for us!), but just lots if images of the details so we can use it as a reference to compare against items we see for sale and are unsure about. Just an idea - thought others might like it.

Poss

That's a very valid point Poss. There's hardly a day goes by without someone requesting info one repro item or another, like "Which is the best....?" or "Where can I get a....?" etc. A quick, visual reference might help members to make informed choices?

Ian :think:

ATFs are nice, I have two different older generations but everytime I buy one a new generation comes out that is better than the last.

• 11 months later...

Seeing that it’s European-made, is the zipper on the correct side for a American jacket? I have seen a few EU and Chinese reproductions with zipper that were on the opposite sides (as in the wearer’s right size slides into the wearer’s left slot to get the zipper ready to zip up, when American-made jackets are the opposite).

Seeing that it’s European-made, is the zipper on the correct side for a American jacket? I have seen a few EU and Chinese reproductions with zipper that were on the opposite sides (as in the wearer’s right size slides into the wearer’s left slot to get the zipper ready to zip up, when American-made jackets are the opposite).

You know...I never even thought of that! However, you are right. The zipper is of European configuration! (Still a first class repro though!) :lol:

Nice looking repro, I agree - Would love to order one, but the website doesn't have a choice for sizing, anyone from across the pond closer to Belgium know the deal??

The zipper is indeed horrendous, given the seeming quality of the jacket, and of course on the wrong side, but I always change out the zippers on my US repro jackets anyway.

First, I need to get my hands on one.

Best,

Bill K. (US)

or maybe "Bedankt Erwin, lang leve de belgen!"?

Hi Jon. Bet you can't translate it into Ōlelo Hawaiʻi !? ;)

Ian, un gair yn Hawaii: "Aloha"!

Ahhh...the wonders of google translate!! Da iawn! :thumbsup: