PASGT Night Vision mount w/ strap

anelles

I've noticed in early OIF/OEF photos that the NVG mount with the strap that goes to the rear of the helmet seems to exclusively be used by the USMC while the Army used the mount screwed on. Was the strap type ever used by the Army? Anyone have photos?

Thanks.

I've noticed in early OIF/OEF photos that the NVG mount with the strap that goes to the rear of the helmet seems to exclusively be used by the USMC while the Army used the mount screwed on. Was the strap type ever used by the Army? Anyone have photos?

Thanks.

It was used quite extensively before the ACH with the Army. I used it for years with my Kpot, before getting the ACH.

The straps came with the goggles whether used or not and were accountable for inventory. If the commander authorized it, and I've had some that didn't, you were allowed to screw the mount directly to the K-pot. During OIF (101st ABN, 2003) it was OK, but not mandatory, to mount them (with screw) rather than use the strap. I didn't screw my mount on because I shared my NODS with another soldier and being able to remove the mount/strap assy made it easier to swap out.

As per your observation, of interest in the 2000 dated TM for the goggles, it implies that only the USMC are authorized to mount directly to the helmet with a screw whereas the Army is supposed to use the strap in one of four methods. I don't recall that detail in Iraq (USMC vs Army mount technique) though I do remember quite a few in my unit screwed the mounts to the K-pots. Probably most still used the strap assy. I saw a few Marines but didn't pay that much attention to their gear configuration at the time.

• 1 year later...

I have a question on this very subject, gents. I have one of the PASGT type NVG mounts, and it came with TWO straps, similar to what's depicted on the following page (which I randomly found on the net):

http://www.morovision.com/mnv-articles-library/2010/helmet-mount-assemblies.html

What is the extra strap (with the plastic buckle) used for?

Thanks!

That extra strap is a stabalizing chin strap. It mounted through the metal hook that hooks under the back rim of the helmet. There are a couple of slots in the metal "L" hook. The canvas loop was the chin strap. This thing supposedly would keep the helmet from rolling forward on your head from the weight of the goggles. It actually puts a lot of torque on your chin and would give you a headache quickly. It was the original predacessor to the three point chin strap.

That extra strap is a stabalizing chin strap. It mounted through the metal hook that hooks under the back rim of the helmet. There are a couple of slots in the metal "L" hook. The canvas loop was the chin strap. This thing supposedly would keep the helmet from rolling forward on your head from the weight of the goggles. It actually puts a lot of torque on your chin and would give you a headache quickly. It was the original predacessor to the three point chin strap.

Thanks, Hawk -- I thought maybe that's what it was, but that canvas is so stiff I figured no one would be foolish enough to ask someone to actually wear it. I was wrong! :o