Military Parade.....

ArtillaryMan

ArtillaryMan

post-819-1191773184.jpg

This photo fascinates me. Looks like WW1 era and looks like a massive parade. Seem to be 30 wide and 1/2 mile long. Thousands of troops?

Anyone know anything about the photo? thanks for looking.

I also like these kind of photos. The problem with city scapes is how quickly they change.

There are some old sections of Denver I used to haunt as a kid and now I really have to pay attention to not get lost. You might have to find an old timer to identify the photo.

If you have the original print you can scan it at 300dpi and as a 300% enlargement and then you might be able to read some of thr signs on the buildings.

ArtillaryMan

This photo was posted on the ebay historical memorabilia board. The additional info given there was

"This photo shows a rather large parade through the main street of a small city. There is a Kress store, There is a small sign under the Kress sign which reads "Knights of Columbus", the billboard above the Kress building is an ad for "French Market Coffee", there is a sign on the building on the foreground "Camp Activities", other signs: "Quick Lunch", "Southern", "Coleman", "Capital National Bank", "W.A. HAY CIGARS". Neat signs but a bit generic. So, Where is this.

I expect the "captal national bank" is one clue.

The size of the column is what really intrigues me. And headed by a classic formation of big-wigs, with a full marching band. Must have been one helluva parade. I expect the photo was taken from the reviewing stand.

dave

This photo was posted on the ebay historical memorabilia board. The additional info given there was

"This photo shows a rather large parade through the main street of a small city. There is a Kress store, There is a small sign under the Kress sign which reads "Knights of Columbus", the billboard above the Kress building is an ad for "French Market Coffee", there is a sign on the building on the foreground "Camp Activities", other signs: "Quick Lunch", "Southern", "Coleman", "Capital National Bank", "W.A. HAY CIGARS". Neat signs but a bit generic. So, Where is this.

I expect the "captal national bank" is one clue.

The size of the column is what really intrigues me. And headed by a classic formation of big-wigs, with a full marching band. Must have been one helluva parade. I expect the photo was taken from the reviewing stand.

dave

back in those days, two cities had Capital National Banks were Indianapolis, Indiana and Jackson, Mississippi.

ArtillaryMan

Thanks! I tell the owner to ask those 2 historical societies. Would sure be interesting to know exactly what unit(s) and commanders are there.

As an historian for the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, who works in downtown Jackson and seen dozens of early Jackson street scenes, I can assure you this image is NOT of Jackson!

ArtillaryMan
As an historian for the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, who works in downtown Jackson and seen dozens of early Jackson street scenes, I can assure you this image is NOT of Jackson!

ArtillaryMan

Thanks, siege.... Now if we can get the same type of info from Indiana, we can either solve it, or move on to other clues. I am going to review all the old Indianapolis postcards on ebay and see if they help.

Dave

Just think of the Civil War veterans that probably turned out in that crowd - to see the doughboys come home....

Outstanding photo!!

Chris

• 1 year later...