Hawkdriver's heading home

hawkdriver

Wow, go to bed and wake up to 22 responses, thanks everyone. Tamura, I was also hoping to get another round of patch sales in, but they ended up keeping me out in a FOB until the very last. I was one of the last people to recover back here. I have been to the Alterations shop a few times and the selection here isn't quite as good as it once was. Seems everyone is getting ready for the inevitable base closing. When I get to Kuwait, I will only have two days before we re-pack and head home for good. I plan on buying out whatever my money will allow before I leave, to include a couple cartons of cigarettes to bring home as well.

I'm sitting here on my cot waiting for the barber to open to get one last GI haircut before coming home. Then it's bag packing day and then the laying around and waiting starts. I attached a picture of our aircraft being loaded onto a C-17, a pretty awesome sight to watch.

post-2549-1303788732.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Safe trip home Hawk and thank you for all your hard work and for your service. To echo the comments of others, the patches you sent me hold a special place in my collection and will always be treasured.

All the best

Will

Brian Dentino

Safe travels and a smooth re-deploy......thanks for your time HD! Good to hear of another one of the brave coming home with sound body and mind. Thank you for your service, and welcome back to the world. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warning Hawk! The one warning I would give you upon your return- no, the streets of Topeka were not hit with artillery, those are weather made potholes!

Travel Safely!

Allan

Thanks for the warning Hawk! The one warning I would give you upon your return- no, the streets of Topeka were not hit with artillery, those are weather made potholes!

Travel Safely!

Allan

Actually, after seeing what a 60mm mortar does to packed dirt, I can believe it. Mortar didn't even crater the dirt, but a rain storm two days later made a pot hole big enough that you could hide a goat in.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, we have now been delayed by nine hours, but that is tolerable, at least we don't have to start at midnight now.

Robswashashore
Wow, go to bed and wake up to 22 responses, thanks everyone. Tamura, I was also hoping to get another round of patch sales in, but they ended up keeping me out in a FOB until the very last. I was one of the last people to recover back here. I have been to the Alterations shop a few times and the selection here isn't quite as good as it once was. Seems everyone is getting ready for the inevitable base closing. When I get to Kuwait, I will only have two days before we re-pack and head home for good. I plan on buying out whatever my money will allow before I leave, to include a couple cartons of cigarettes to bring home as well.

I'm sitting here on my cot waiting for the barber to open to get one last GI haircut before coming home. Then it's bag packing day and then the laying around and waiting starts. I attached a picture of our aircraft being loaded onto a C-17, a pretty awesome sight to watch.

post-2549-1303788732.jpg

Oh, you mean YOU don't have to drive it back to Colorado? (with the kids in the back?) :thumbsup:

Make sure you post video of the Welcome Home Parade!

Have a safe trip home, Hawk! :thumbsup: If you come to the SoS next February, I'll buy you a Coke!

WELCOME HOME. Enjoy your leave when you get home. I'm off to my first visit with my Son and family since he returned from the cat litter box. Robert

U.S. medal collector
....one and a wake-up, we start the spring migration homeward. Unfortunately, that means the theater made patch business and the dumpster diving must come to an end. In total, I shipped five footlockers, eight boxes, 20 flags, and God only knows how many patches back to the states and overseas. Thanks to all who participated in my hobby time.

If I owe anyone anything and I haven't paid, please get hold of me, I feel like there is someone that I got something from and never paid, but I can't find any evidence of it. I did buy something from a member here, had the wife mail a check and it was returned undeliverable, if that person will contact me, I will be glad to square up, just need a new address

The bad news is that today, I had to destroy a brand new M13 decon apparatus with a full can of DS2 because I wasn't allowed to get it in the haz container. I have a very nice Beeman pellet rifle that I also have to destroy because it cannot be shipped home, neasuating to say the least. Good new is that my sign for the back of a convoy truck made the connex, so I will get pictures of that when I get it out back home.

I hope to get back into the full swing of things when I get home and can get my feet back on the ground. I don't know what the internet is going to be like in the next week and I may pop in now and then, hope to see y'all on the bright side soon.

Thanks again for everyone's support while being deployed here, believe it or not, y'all made it bearable and gave me something to kill time with since I don't play video games.

Hawkdriver

Wishing you a very safe return and Blessings from the Lord ! George

DSC03271.JPG

Cool photo. Safe trip!

Thanks to all the well wishes, I greatly appreciate them. I am still sitting here in Iraq, for the third day waiting for an Air Force aircraft that won't break down at the last minute. I am at the ADACG now and so far, the C-130 hasn't cancelled or found something broken, so fingers crossed, by the time y'all wake up in the morning, I will be in Kuwait.

Again, I appreciate all the support given from here.

teufelhunde.ret
Thanks to all the well wishes, I greatly appreciate them. I am still sitting here in Iraq, for the third day waiting for an Air Force aircraft that won't break down at the last minute.

Been there - done that! Eventually the aircraft gods will resolve the issue...

Robswashashore
Thanks to all the well wishes, I greatly appreciate them. I am still sitting here in Iraq, for the third day waiting for an Air Force aircraft that won't break down at the last minute. I am at the ADACG now and so far, the C-130 hasn't cancelled or found something broken, so fingers crossed, by the time y'all wake up in the morning, I will be in Kuwait.

Again, I appreciate all the support given from here.

Guess you should have driven yourself home in your Blackhawk...

Well, it happened again, for the fourth time, our aircraft has broken down and now we are stuck here until 2200 tonight. I'm beginning to get concerned about the Air Forces safety record when four aircraft break down in three days. So, eight more hours sleeping on these hard metal chairs. Fortunately there is internet.

Now, let's get in the wayback machine and see how many of you recognize this room.

2r6dzix.jpg

Well, it happened again, for the fourth time, our aircraft has broken down and now we are stuck here until 2200 tonight. I'm beginning to get concerned about the Air Forces safety record when four aircraft break down in three days. So, eight more hours sleeping on these hard metal chairs. Fortunately there is internet.

Now, let's get in the wayback machine and see how many of you recognize this room.

Hey now! I'm AF... :D Most of those are probably piddly things like comm issues or something. We once had one of our tankers develop RF radio issues in Hawaii, and got stuck there for 5 days. Darn the luck!

But seriously, Godspeed on your travels home, and thank you for your service. I'm new to the forums, and wish I had found them sooner, as I have been to Al Udeid and Manas AB and had some custom patches made while at the latter. If I'd known there was a demand for such things, I'd have offered them up. I'll know to post here next time!

Safe travels, my friend.

Now, THAT sounds familiar... Funny how when you are going TO theater, it seems like you snap your fingers and you're there! Coming home seems to take FOREVER. Regardless, you'll be here soon enough. Thanks for your service and WELCOME HOME! :thumbsup:

Semper,

Ski

Hey now! I'm AF... :D Most of those are probably piddly things like comm issues or something. We once had one of our tankers develop RF radio issues in Hawaii, and got stuck there for 5 days. Darn the luck!

Ya, darn the luck. The aircraft that had our helos on it broke down in Spain, three day repair. The crews that were riding think the pilots have girlfriends there. On the way into country, the plane broke down in Spain during the world cup, imagine that!

Made it to Kuwait, now waiting for the customs proctology exam, then it's the freedom bird home!

Ya, darn the luck. The aircraft that had our helos on it broke down in Spain, three day repair. The crews that were riding think the pilots have girlfriends there. On the way into country, the plane broke down in Spain during the world cup, imagine that!

Made it to Kuwait, now waiting for the customs proctology exam, then it's the freedom bird home!

Glad to hear the ball's rolling, at least. Most of those maintenance incidents are probably somewhat legit -- maintenance officers get a little miffed if you try to bluff them on "breaking." I'm sure there are abuses, of course.

Anyway, safe travels; enjoy your homecoming!