191st Tank Battalion KIA PH

captaxe

Hello to all. The gentleman standing on the left in the first picture is my father Donald Victorine from Crystal Lake, IL. He is sitting on the left in the second picture

Mr. Kim Victorine

Corona, CA

Hello,

My name is Chris Stewart and Oscar would have been my great uncle. I was recently doing research about Oscar and came upon this post. I am amazed by the information that this post has provided me. I will be studying abroad in France in June as was going to visit Oscar's grave (which my family thought was located at Normandy) but is actually at Rhone American Cemetery.

This post also gave me some great information about what he did during the war and more into the Ernie Pyle story. I actually have the article that was written in his hometown about the Ernie Pyle story and the story actually gave some more insight to his death (which was actually witnessed by his brother in-law). The article states that Oscar's tank was hit by a german shell and the crew within died due to the shell concussion.

When it comes to Oscar's personal life he was married before he left for the war but never had any kids. His wife lived in Bristol her entire life and never remarried.

Also when it comes to the picture, my father believes that he is the soldier with the tech sergeant stripes located on the tank.

Thanks for the great information captaxe and I will post the article and a picture of Oscar's grave site when I visit in June.

Hello Chris,

I believe you have that correct. Per my fathers telling they were hit by a 88 she'll that went thru the front of the tank, ricocheted off the inside and went out the turret without exploding. All of the crew, except my father Donald, and the tank commander were killed. My father had his leg cut off from the shell. As re relayed to me, the tank commander pulled him from the tank, applied a tourniquet, saving his life. He was evacuated to a field hospital and eventually returned to the states. He was sent to Battle Creek, MI for recovery. While there he met my mother who was "Candy Striping" at the hospital.

I believe the tank commander made it all the way to Germany and the end of the war.

Kim Victorine

Corona, CA

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Garandomatic

I'll bring this one back to the top. I've been fortunate enough to come by two 191st uniforms, one to a tanker, the other to an officer that was at least at one point C Co. CO. Really amazing web of stories here with the descendants and all. Since a lot of knowledgeable folks are on here, and I am having a difficult time finding the answer, does anybody know how many campaigns the 191st participated in throughout the war? Looking to restore the CO.

The 191st was attached to the 45th fairly often throughout the war so the campaigns are the same:

Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland and Central Europe.

I thought I had a digitized copy of the greenbook, but cant seem to find it. Shoot me a P/M, I may have some other info for you.

• 2 years later...

hello, it 's amazing post!

i am from southern France, near Allex, i word on the history of this Sherman,

Knocked out by a Panther, in "Nodon" Farm,

picture of the sherman: https://www.memoire-drome.com/recherche-detail.html?q=nodon&i=3&id=161789

I have the testimonial of the family in the cave of Nodon, they saw the battle and howls from the Sherman, 3 men escape, one leg torn with blood....

If you want Contact me for Information.

I saw several family of this crew on the post.

For me the crew:

Tank commander/ Speros bakalos    LWA

Assist gunner/ george everhart          ?

Driver/ oscar m stewart                      KIA

?/Donald victorine                                WIA

?/bud carmichael "hoagy"                    ?

With the report of 191st Tank battalion, just one KIA

With the french testimonial two KIA

....i dont know....