Tarawa documentary 1988 A&E

devildog34

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone remembers a 1988 documentary that aired on A&E that was about Tarawa. It was centered on a return to the island in 1988 with a bunch of vets who were there to dedicate a memorial. They interviewed a lot of these guys who got really indepth and emotional about what they saw. It was really good. I cannot remember the name of it, but the host or narrator was there on Betio during his narrations. One vet that sticks out in my mind was a guy who had a thick Wyatt Earp style mustache that covered the corners of his mouth. I want to say it was called "Return to Tarawa," and I am well aware of the recent documentary with Leon Cooper who went back to help clean up the landing beaches, but it was much earlier than the Leon Cooper story which is also called "Return to Tarawa." This particular one was in 1988, why I remember the year I do not know. These guys, the vets, were in their late 60's so they looked quite a bit younger than what we would envision a WWII vet today. It's absolutely killing me to not know the name of this because it was one of the best first hand accounts of Tarawa that I have ever seen, I'm dying to get a hold of it. Anyway curious if anyone knows.

Semper Fi,

Kevin