Into The Blue

pbuchh7715

I got it, it's a good effort. Nice to see there's finally something on this. I see it is volume 1 so I hope the next version covers fatigue and maintenance uniforms.

I've been considering buying a copy, but the cost is a bit hard to swallow not knowing what is covered. With your comments, is this to say that this is not all-encompasing, i.e. doesn't cover fatigues, doesn't cover all types of uniforms? I guess I thought with 336 pages (per Amazon) that it would cover more. As a "volume 1", does it only cover certain types and/or eras of uniforms? Does it have anything about Air Force patches? Guess I'm trying to talk myself in or out of it based on what I collect vs. what the book covers. Unfortunately Amazon does not have a "Look Inside" set up for this book like it has for so many others. Would love to at least see the table of contents, assuming it has one that shows what is covered.

Thanks.

DutchInfid3l
Would love to at least see the table of contents, assuming it has one that shows what is covered.

I've had mine for about a week and I think it's great! I definitely learned a couple of things.

Very much looking forward to the second volume, which will cover the "working" uniforms and AP/SP/SF items.

Chapter Page

1 The beginnings.... 10

2 Evolution of the Uniform.... 12

3 The transition years 1945-1952.... 28

4 Transitional accessories.... 45

5 Khaki Uniforms.... 61

6 The blue uniform.... 93

7 The blue "Ike" jacket.... 120

8 Chevrons.... 137

9 Collar devices.... 149

10 Women's uniforms, WAAC, WASP, and WAF.... 156

11 Women's headgear.... 191

12 Men's headgear.... 207

13 Accessories.... 235

14 The two tone blue uniform.... 259

15 Experimental new ("McPeak") Uniform.... 271

16 The new service dress uniform (retrofitted).... 279

I got my copy yesterday and think it's fantastic. The book is loaded with detailed color photo's and has tons of useful information. Well worth the price.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings,

I can't remember the publisher and for the life of me cant remember the author. BUT, a text on US Air Force uniforms of the jet age was supposed to be published several months ago and I can't find any information anywhere. I understood there was a delay but other than that.....

This is supposed to be the first comprehensive resource on USAF uniforms (besides flight wear) and I'm eager to see the finished product as I was solicited for some pics of a few of my uniforms for the book :D Plus, it would be nice to have another book on the shelf.

Best,

Pete

Hi Pete, I hope you are Talking about Into the Blue, USAF Uniforms 1947 to Present. Author is Lance P. Young, publisher is Schiffer Military Publications. Amazon had it listed at $89.99 then marked it down 37% to $57.00. They sold out in a couple of days. You can find it on the Amazon independent sellers list going for $75 - $181.00!! I've called Schiffer marketing and they say they are hustling the book out as fast as they can. This is Volume 1 and covers the transition from Army uniforms to the USAF Blue. Also covers khakis, 505's, 1505, the Mc Peak disaster to the current uniform called the Service Uniform Retrofit. EBay has them also marked way up. I'd say wait a little longer and see what Amazon does or go to Schiffer Publishing and buy direct.

Keep in touch and if it's too long a wait I'll see if I can get you a book.

Hang in there

Lance0906 (yeah, you guessed it, I wrote with Lt Col Dave Shultz and Brother Johnny Schlund.)

I tried to upload the cover for you but the file is too large go to http://www.amazon.com/Into-Blue-Uniforms-F...2263&sr=1-1 Just checked and they have 6 books for $65.00.

I got it, it's a good effort. Nice to see there's finally something on this. I see it is volume 1 so I hope the next version covers fatigue and maintenance uniforms.

Thank you for the "good effort!" Took three years to put together. Your hope is confirm, the second volume will be "working uniforms' and Mess dress. we will cover as much as we can uncover. By that I mean now that the book is out we are receiving photos of things I've never seen before. Blue pith helmets for daily wear in tropical setting? Whit pith for the AP's. the volume will cover fatigues, Sage, OD-105's, 107's, BDU's DBU's and the new ABU's. Caps and hats well everything I can get into the book! I hope you guys will be pleased. My main goal was to honor those who have worn the uniform and assist the USAF Historians getting the info out. Some of you have said you've learned things from reading it, well I can tell you I've been learning things daily!

German Marksmanship aiguillette worn with the Class "A" uniform? I'm trying to get permission to publish a photo. SF uniform that looks like our old style OD-105's but in khaki, short sleeve with blk T-shirt as a "Gate uniform?" Trying to find someone who has a photo and explanation. Enjoy Vol 1 and we'll get vol 2 out ASAP most likely next winter. The format and photos take a lot of time to complete.

Thanks pass it on to friends.

Lance0906

Just checked Amazon and they have 6 books for $65.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Blue-Uniforms-F...2263&sr=1-1

I got my copy yesterday and think it's fantastic. The book is loaded with detailed color photo's and has tons of useful information. Well worth the price.

Thank you Kman for the "fantastic!" Took three years to put together. The second volume will be "working uniforms' and Mess dress. we will cover as much as we can uncover. By that I mean now that the book is out we are receiving photos of things I've never seen before. Blue pith helmets for daily wear in tropical setting? Whit pith for the AP's. the volume will cover fatigues, Sage, OD-105's, 107's, BDU's DBU's and the new ABU's. Caps and hats well everything I can get into the book! I hope you guys will be pleased. My main goal was to honor those who have worn the uniform and assist the USAF Historians getting the info out. Some of you have said you've learned things from reading it, well I can tell you I've been learning things daily!

German Marksmanship aiguillette worn with the Class "A" uniform? I'm trying to get permission to publish a photo. SF uniform that looks like our old style OD-105's but in khaki, short sleeve with blk T-shirt as a "Gate uniform?" Trying to find someone who has a photo and explanation. Enjoy Vol 1 and we'll get vol 2 out ASAP most likely next winter. The format and photos take a lot of time to complete.

Thanks pass it on to friends.

Lance0906

Just checked Amazon and they have 6 books for $65.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Blue-Uniforms-F...2263&sr=1-1

I think the author of this book is a member here? If so I just wanted to say I really enjoy the book and you did a great job Thanks it helps a lot Mike

I ordered it from Schiffer Publishing and got it today. In one word WOW!!!!! Great photos and text. I have researched the "Brown Shoe Air Force" and I learned stuff. I can't wait until Vol. 2 comes out.

• 1 month later...
Does this new book have a section on Flightsuits and/or flight gear?

Thanks

No...but there's a Vol 2 planned which will cover work-wear etc. The author is an occasional poster on the forum. If he reads this, who better to answer your question!?

Sabrejet

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to give another "FANTASTIC" about this book. I hesitated buying it last year due to the cost as I am not directly a AF uniform collector, although I once wore one and therefore have a natural interest in the uniforms, and I do collect some AAF & AF patches and a few other related items. I happened to see a copy at a Militaria show yesterday (in Raleigh, NC). As soon as I picked it up and thumbed through it, I had to have it - the photos sell this book. It is a GREAT collector's book - lots of great photos & descriptions, and timelines on the evolution of the uniform. Highly recommended! I can't wait for Volume II (any update on when that should come out?).

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys, Johnny Dave and I are working to finish Volume 2 and volume 3. I really hope that it meets you critical review positively. Volume 2 went to the publishers then we had to make some changes at the last minute so I recalled the draft to update it. Vol 2 will be Mess Dress, formal uniforms and distinctive uniforms. Yes I pushed for a couple of chapters dealing with AP/SP/SF and have some great photos from some very nice former AF people out there. Thank you all. The publisher says that vol 2 will be in their fall catalog. I'm sorry that it wasn't out sooner but you guys want it correct as I know you'll be looking at it with a critical eye. Vol 3 will be fatigues, Dave's area, to the ABU and all the in betweens as well as the behind the scenes in adopting a new uniform. Also some speculation on what's to come.

For those who where charged $80 bucks for the volume 1 please keep tabs on it's price on Amazon. They fluctuate daily and has dropped into the upper 50's and low 60s to jump up again. Keep watch and buy your copy when it dives. DO NOT buy from those who would gouge you!!! We didn't write this to make money and probably never will due to our out lay to buy things for photos! My wife gets anything I make from the book!

If Amazon hits the $80 mark and stays there I'll try to start selling books and will notify you.

Question, any of you have any photos of German CSUs wearing a shield? If so please let me know.

Thank all of you for your interest

Lance

• 1 year later...

Wondering if there is any update on when Vol.2 & Vol.3 will be released. Especially looking forward to Vol.3 on work uniforms. If they are anything like the first volume, they will be great.

• 3 months later...

I happened to notice on Amazon - available for pre-order - publication date May 28, 2014:

Into the Blue: Uniforms of the United States Air Force, 1947 to the Present: Volume Two: Distinctive Uniforms, Formal and Informal Uniforms

• 4 weeks later...
nguoi tien su

I guess Lance will face the exact same problem we had last year: the book is listed on Amazon for May, yet Schiffer's release date is October.

Nice cover BTW. I wonder if the medals are those of Jim Harding?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like, according to Amazon, this book - Into the Blue Vol II - is now available. Anyone here yet obtained a copy? Anxious to get a book report. First volume was amazing. Personally looking foward to vol 3 with work uniforms.

• 4 weeks later...