Into The Blue

pbuchh7715

Greetings,

I can't remember the publisher and for the life of me cant remember the author. BUT, a text on US Air Force uniforms of the jet age was supposed to be published several months ago and I can't find any information anywhere. I understood there was a delay but other than that.....

This is supposed to be the first comprehensive resource on USAF uniforms (besides flight wear) and I'm eager to see the finished product as I was solicited for some pics of a few of my uniforms for the book :D Plus, it would be nice to have another book on the shelf.

Best,

Pete

The book in question was "Into the blue" by Lance P. Young, published by Schiffer. It's well over a year overdue. I ordered my copy at the end of 2009! Amazon emailed me a month or so ago to say it was now scheduled for March 2011. Hope this helps?

Sabrejet

The book in question was "Into the blue" by Lance P. Young, published by Schiffer. It's well over a year overdue. I ordered my copy at the end of 2009! Amazon emailed me a month or so ago to say it was now scheduled for March 2011. Hope this helps?

Sabrejet

Greetings,

Thanks for the speedy reply! That helps a bunch. Be sure to check out the Amazon seller who has one for sale for $308.00 :lol:

I also found it on the publishers site and saw the MAR11 release date as well.

Best,

Pete

I remember seeing some copies on Amazon back in July for $80 or so and I kick myself for not getting one then. They keep pushing it back and pushing it back. Now I think there is one up there but it's going for about $200

I remember seeing some copies on Amazon back in July for $80 or so and I kick myself for not getting one then. They keep pushing it back and pushing it back. Now I think there is one up there but it's going for about $200

The publishers site has them (for pre-order) for $89. I dont think I could pull the trigger on $200.....but I did pull the trigger on $89 :) Plus free shipping!

Best,

Pete

They can't sell a book which doesn't exist yet!! I've been in touch with Schiffer's British agents, Bushwood Books. The expected cover price is around £70 /$108. If someone is taking advance orders at $200 a shot that's crazy!!

Sabrejet :w00t:

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

My copy arrived today and I was pleased to see a uniform that was once in my collection pictured :) I still have it's Shade 84 blue counterpart.

Best,

Peter

Is that so?! Mine's been on order with Amazon UK for well over a year now as they kept delaying the publication date! Hopefully I'll receive my copy soon? Is it worth the money?

Sabrejet

I've spoken with Lance via email back and forth a few times over the last year. The last time I talked to him (about month or two ago) he said he still had no word on a release date. He also said that the price was going to be expensive, due to the large number of pages and tons of pics.

I just emailed him and will pass along any info I recieve.

I'm always baffled as to why newly published books are frequently listed as "used" by Amazon?! Do people buy them, look at them once and sell them on immediately thereafter?! :think:

I received a confirmatory email from Amazon UK today to say that delivery is expected in the first week of April. I ordered it over 18 months ago!!

Sabrejet

DutchInfid3l

I received two emails today that I am very pleased about, especially considering I JUST ordered the book Into the blue.

I'm currently selling a few extra items on eBay and I received two messages, one as I later figured out was from the "owner" of USAFFLAGRANKS.com asking me a question about the color backing of a embroidered ribbon bar and then telling me he was going to forward my items to a friend of his, Lance, that is also interested in AP/SP/SF items.

I receive an email from his friend later in the day and he informs me that his friend John, the first message author, and he are going to be writing a Into the blue Vol. 2 and that this volume will deal heavily with the AP/SP/SF uniforms.

His name is Lance... like Lance P. Young!

KFC!

Now THAT is too cool!

Just got an email from Lance tonight and more shipments are coming out within a week or so. I will mention this forum to him, perhaps he will join and sell some signed copies of his book here. :think:

Yeah, I don't think we know Lance P Young....KFC!

-Ski

Author of Into the Blue: Uniforms of the United States Air Force 1947 to the Present - Vol. 1.

• 2 weeks later...
Is that so?! Mine's been on order with Amazon UK for well over a year now as they kept delaying the publication date! Hopefully I'll receive my copy soon? Is it worth the money?

Sabrejet

Unfortunately, I've been on the road quite a bit since I received the book and have just started reading it. It is image heavy and seems well rounded in the information it provides. I would suspect like Maguire's original text, it will need a follow-up due to the volume of information to be covered.

I guess with that in mind (and to avoid sounding pompous :) ) I can't really say if it was worth the money or not. I was quite excited to receive it after so long regardless. I am disappointed, though, that folks are finding it new on Amazon (well, glad for them) for considerably less than what I paid directly to the publisher. Hey, I've paid more for books than this :)

Best,

Peter

Unfortunately, I've been on the road quite a bit since I received the book and have just started reading it. It is image heavy and seems well rounded in the information it provides. I would suspect like Maguire's original text, it will need a follow-up due to the volume of information to be covered.

I guess with that in mind (and to avoid sounding pompous :) ) I can't really say if it was worth the money or not. I was quite excited to receive it after so long regardless. I am disappointed, though, that folks are finding it new on Amazon (well, glad for them) for considerably less than what I paid directly to the publisher. Hey, I've paid more for books than this :)

Best,

Peter

Thanks for that Peter. My long awaited copy has been shipped so I should get it any day now. I'm looking forward to it greatly! The author has recently registered on the forum as a new member lance... but hasn't posted anything yet, to my knowledge.

Ian :thumbsup:

I got it, it's a good effort. Nice to see there's finally something on this. I see it is volume 1 so I hope the next version covers fatigue and maintenance uniforms.