WW I 5th Marine Brigade: Real or Fantasy?

Saskatoon Light Infantry

Saskatoon Light Infantry
I don’t see any stitching. Is it glued together?

LuftStalg1:

I don't own the patch. I just have a photograph of it. Any ideas?

LuftStalg1:

I don't own the patch. I just have a photograph of it. Any ideas?

I believe I saw this on ebay awhile ago and was intrigued by it since I had never seen or even heard of this variation. I believe the patch to be good and that it was simply altered into the red cross for a medical company by just changing the original square into the cross with afew careful snips. I feel that it started out as a square because the eagle is too close to the edge and is uneven in its positioning on the cross. Regardless I like the patch. Mort

I believe I saw this on ebay awhile ago and was intrigued by it since I had never seen or even heard of this variation. I believe the patch to be good and that it was simply altered into the red cross for a medical company by just changing the original square into the cross with afew careful snips. I feel that it started out as a square because the eagle is too close to the edge and is uneven in its positioning on the cross. Regardless I like the patch. Mort

Mort,

I sincerely hate to disagree with you publically, but there is nothing about this patch that I DO like. It looks like it's made of a velvet-like material (the image isn't too crisp), and the pieces look glued on. Wow. That is a lot of "never seen before" stuff, not to mention the patch design itself, to swallow at once. As my clever brother likes to say, "I wouldn't touch this with a fork."

Patch Johnson

Mort,

I sincerely hate to disagree with you publically, but there is nothing about this patch that I DO like. It looks like it's made of a velvet-like material (the image isn't too crisp), and the pieces look glued on. Wow. That is a lot of "never seen before" stuff, not to mention the patch design itself, to swallow at once. As my clever brother likes to say, "I wouldn't touch this with a fork."

Patch Johnson

I've seen the patch in real life (held it in my hand) and could not see stitch one to any of the components. My assessment is that it was rather nicely made by carefully trimming the different colors of velvet material out and gluing them to cardstock to keep the shape and then gluing all of the pieces together. :think:

Allan

Another example of, "if there's no credible provenance with it, forget about it". As is, I would not be a buyer. Has a rather "suspicious" look to it.

Kurt