m1942 jacket and trousers

Justin

Where can I get the best reproduction reinforced m1942 jacket and trouser set?

And what would be the best way to 'age' it?

Thanks.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Where can I get the best reproduction reinforced m1942 jacket and trouser set?

And what would be the best way to 'age' it?

Thanks.

At the Front

WWII Impressions

What Price Glory

They all sell them. Quality varies as well as price.

Buy them a bit big, wash them, roll in the mud, crawl in the dirt, wash them again.

Rock

I'd say WWII Impressions for the M1942 set. They may be a bit expensive, but in my experiences with them, you get what you pay for, good stuff.

Thanks for the positive comments.

...and keep your eyes posted to our web site in the next couple months for an update regarding our next run of jumpsuits.

Reenforced or unreenforced? TBH though, my answer's gonna be the same!!!

Un reenforced, hands down is ATF. Nothing comes close, got mine a couple of weeks ago, and am shocked by how good the thing is. Think mint unnisded original made 69 years after the originals, and you get an idea of how good they are.

Forget about the ones that WPG sells, couple of our guys bought them, and the sizing was MILES off. And I mean MILES off. 36R jacket fitted my mate who's 6 fort 7 and normally wears a 44 chest. Pattern of uniform is dodgey as well. Legs almost fitted like jeans, pockets on trousers were too small and hardware is a bit chintzy for my liking. Colour was too washed out for a new uniform.

Don't really know much about WWII Imp, but you'd be stupid to consider anything other than ATF because they are so damn good and so spot on.

Reenforced, I would probably say ATF again. The reenforcing is SLIGHTLY too thin, but for the money, it's certainly not a problem. I know WWII Imp reenforcing was good, but the trouble is A) the price. At over twice as much as ATF's they simply aren't worth the extra, not even close B) the uniforms I have handled from them have all been way to heavy, like denim as opposed to the correct weight medium twill*

I'm a big fan of Juan's "Made in America" ethos, I really am, but you simply won't get me to spend more money on something which is, IMHO, a poorer reproduction (BTW, I'm NOT slating the construction of WWII Imp's gear, it's EXCELLENT, but that's half the problem. It's too good when compared to originals, it might be a good long term investment, however for authenticity, I want my uniforms to feel and wear like originals.)

If I can get an equally good uniform (if not better) for less, why would I pay the extra? I'm all for supporting American Made products, but the truth is, ATF's Imported ("Chinese") repro's are miles better value. Sorry.

This come across as very strong, but I do believe that ATF are the best in the business, and have absolutely NAILED this uniform now.

Cheers,

Poss

*Yes, I have handled originals!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I was having a chat with WWII Paratrooper Ed Pepping at a reenactment about the M42's. He was feeling the material on my ATF reinforced M42's and told me that they felt too thick. He felt the foregn made ATF M42's and said that they were more realistic as they were thinner. For what it's worth.

WWII Impressions makes great quality stuff. It's more expensive but worth it.

ATF makes very, very good quality stuff and they're more affordable.

What Price Glory seems to fill a niche in that he makes a ton of neat stuff that few offer.

Rock

Haven't handled any original M42s, but have owned a few original OD/reversable parkas (still do) and every one has had slight differences in pattern details and different feel to the fabric, why?... Different contractors... I've read on one of the quoted dealers websites it was the very same with M42 jumpsuits, so my view is, have handled/examined one item of uniform, doesn't make it yev handled/examined them all... that's my tuppence worth... :thumbsup:

I own an original Unreinforced and Reinforced M1942 Jump Suit.

I have examined Reproductions from all three makers.

Right now, pending WWII Impressions newest run, the best route to go for an Unreinforced Jump Suit is At The Front. The, material, cut, and color compare very well the original in my collection and the originals I have examined. The Newest run of WWII Impressions when they come out have the potential to beat out At The Front, especially since they will be doing every jacket size, which is extremely important in a reproduction Jump Suit as the M1942 Jump Suit was a fairly fitted garment.

For an Reinforced M1942 Jump Suit the best option right now, pending WWII Impressions newest run, is to get an Unreinforced Jump Suit from At The Front and then send it to Herb Zamar for reinforcing as his reinforcing is currently the best out there. The way he applies it and the material he uses compares very well to the original Reinforce Jump Suit in my collection. At The Front's Reinforced Jump Suit is lacking principally in the Reinforcing Material, which is untreated canvas. All the Reinforced Jump Suits I have examined, mine included, are reinforced with treated canvas. WWII Impressions newest run may pose some competition as in previous runs their Reinforced Jump Suits were reinforced with the correct treated canvas.

I have been left less than impressed with What Price Glory's Jump Suits.

-Josh

• 10 years later...

I am interested in purchasing a reinforced M42 from At The Front(ATF) (currently out of stock). I am wondering if anyone has purchased one from ATF recently and whether or not the quality is still evident as was mentioned above in 2011? Also, does anyone know if Out Of Stock at ATF usually means week or months?

I appreciate any info or comments.