Equipping the Corps 1892-1937

gwb123

I think I am going to start collecting books.

The reason is with the quality of research books that are coming out these days you are getting studio quality photographs of militaria that I will probably never be able to afford let alone acquire in this lifetime.

On behalf of the ASMIC-PUBS eBay Store, I spent the afternoon paging through Alec Tulkoff's latest book, Equipping the Corps 1892-1937.

It is of course the same stunning quality that we have seen over the years from R. James Bender Publishing.

In their promo statement, they note that much of this material came as collaterial information from researching Grunt Gear, Alec's volume on WWII USMC uniforms and equipment. Apparently questions came up about the origins of the USMC dress blue uniform, and that led back to the Marine Regulations of 1892 when the blues were intended as a service uniform. As anyone who has done any research knows, one thing just leads to another.

As noted this covers Webgear, Weapons, Headgear from basically the Spanish American War period to prior to WWII. This of course includes World War I and the China Marines.

Weapons buffs will enjoy, "Arsenal and Quartermaster records thought to have been destroyed were located and new serial numbers attributed to the Marine Corps have been identified for Krag rifles (1,000) as well as M1903 rifles, M1912 Colt Automatics, BARs and even a handful of shotguns." There are photos of early machineguns in here I had no idea ever existed.

Web gear collectors will find "Detailed information about quantities contracted are supplied in the field gear chapter in regards to cartridge belts and suspenders. The USMC Quartermaster Depot is examined and details about its manufacturing and capabilities are described." As with many of the current references, the photos are super clear, down to the stitching. A good amount of attention is given to depot markings.

As far as headgear, there is every possible item from the period that you can imagine, from European style spiked helmets to the painted helmets of WWI.

An interesting note is that this is intended to be a two volume set. The second volume will apparently be exclusively on the variations of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Given the amount of threads the EG&A generates on this Forum, I am willing to bet this will generate a lot of interest. However if you cannot wait for that, almost all of the Headgear photos feature the proper EG&A, including period photos.

As I said, I have only scanned this, and as this is out my area of expertise, I cannot comment on accuracy. But it is heavily illustrated and sharply done.

My only complaint is that I found some of the period photos to be a bit on the light side. I am not sure what process was used in the layout and print, but to my eye these could have used a bit of Photoshop work to darken and bring out highlights. But the period photos are fascinating and rarely seen elsewhere.

The publisher states "The information in this book was compiled from many resources including archival documents and photographs as well as many museums and countless private collections." Looking at the "honor roll" of those who donated to this book, this is exactly what they did.

If Marine Corps history is your thing, or if you have seen enough HBT's for a lifetime and are wondering what else is out there, this is the book to check out.

All of the attached images are from the book.

USMC_EQ_cover.jpg

USMC_EQ_11.jpg

USMC_EQ_6.jpg

An OUTSTANDING book that is thoroughly researched and well-photographed and presented. Alec is a class act who has published two of my absolute favorite reference books, they are the cornerstones of my reference library. I'll go so far as to say that if you are a collector of ANY Marine memorabilia from the first half of the 20th century, this volume and "Grunt Gear" are must-haves!

Semper,

Ski

An OUTSTANDING book that is thoroughly researched and well-photographed and presented. Alec is a class act who has published two of my absolute favorite reference books, they are the cornerstones of my reference library. I'll go so far as to say that if you are a collector of ANY Marine memorabilia from the first half of the 20th century, this volume and "Grunt Gear" are must-haves!

Semper,

Ski

Agreed

This is a subject that has been very little info on.I have viewed the book and the early pictures are priceless to any collector of Marine Corps uniforms and equipment.

Alec is a member here too :thumbsup:

Agreed! :twothumbup: Alec has produced an outstanding work. Every afficianado of "The Old Corps" should have it in their library. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

I have this book and highly recommend it. Any idea on when Volume II will be released?

....Kat

Kat- I wish I knew when I could find the time. A two year old son and a business have taken precedence and a wife. She'd kill me if I forgot to mention her :pinch:

Kat- I wish I knew when I could find the time. A two year old son and a business have taken precedence and a wife. She'd kill me if I forgot to mention her :pinch:

Alec,

I understand! Sometimes collecting takes a back seat to life. Glad to see you have your priorities in order! :lol: Family is very important. Your son will only be young once.

....Kat

Alec... great work on a seldom discussed topic. I personally had no idea the USMC in this period was so colorful. Great job!

RustyCanteen

Looks like a good book, however the "M1917" gas mask appears to actually be a British Small Box Respirator.

Like Kat, I have Volume I (a gift from my wonderful* wife) and I'm looking forward to Volume II! :thumbsup:

* You see...I'm trained too! :lol: Just kidding...she is the best!

• 2 years later...

Has volume 2 come out yet? If not does anyone know when it will be released? I doubt anyone knows this besides the author but will it cover WW2 Marine Corps?

Has volume 2 come out yet? If not does anyone know when it will be released? I doubt anyone knows this besides the author but will it cover WW2 Marine Corps?

Alec already published a book about ww2 USMC gear ... I don't know exactly what a new books will cover but Alec's books are already excellent references for USMC collectors B)

http://www.amazon.com/Grunt-Gear-Combat-Infantry-Equipment/dp/0912138920/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388054656&sr=8-2&keywords=alec+tulkoff

If you want more, Pradier & Alberti's book is also very good with many nice illustrations > http://www.amazon.com/Uniforms-Equipment-1941-1945-Bruno-Alberti/dp/2915239991/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388054672&sr=8-1&keywords=pradier+alberti

• 2 months later...
American Heritage

Hi Alec, tried to send you a PM but it says you cannot receive messages.

Do you sell copies of Grunt Gear directly? I would like to buy a copy.

• 3 weeks later...
Legion Para

Alec did an outstanding job and this reference book will stand the test of time. It's a must own for anyone interested in the USMC.

• 6 years later...
On 4/25/2011 at 6:23 PM, Alec said:

I have purchased the book and am very pleased with it. I am trying to put together a uniform for shooting in our club. I have most of it but have not had any luck finding a correctly styled reproduction hat for the 1898-1900 time period. I am also a collector of Smith & Wesson 1899's. I know the US Navy purchased 1,000 of them and I have three of those pistols. My favorite one to shoot is S&W serial #5170 which caries US Navy #34.I have been searching for records to collaborate the S&W serial #'s with the US Navy #'s without any luck so far. Anyway, I saw that you had the Colts listed as being used by the USMC, but did the USMC also use the Smith & Wessons model 1899/s the US Navy purchased? If so, are there any pictures of that? Love the book and I use it as a reference all the time.