My Collection- WWII Airborne & Air Corps

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the invitation.

If we - my fiancée and I - ever make to there, I sure would love to have a good luck at it and the rest you like to show me.

Erwin

Eummm .... I meant "look at it" ..... (what was I thinking).

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

As long as we're on the trunk subject, what's in the Aero Trunk??

Dennis

Hi Dennis, both trunks in that photo are WWI Aero trunks. One came with a pilots uniform and misc photos, the other was empty. I found the trunk with the uniform in a yard sale many years ago. The family told me that the leather flight jacket was thrown away because it was to oily and dirty. The uniform has the bullion wings, the family kept the Dallas wings and his dress boots. He took his training in Texas and California, but the war ended before he was shipped out. Thanks Jon

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Awesome collection! I love the custom made 504th officers jacket with the cloth covered buttons. Do you have any nice 502nd groupings?

Thanks for sharing,

James

I have a couple nice 506th groupings, but nothing in the way of 502nd at this time. The 504th jacket came directly from the vet who is still living down in Florida. If you look closely the crossed rifles on the lapels have small airborne wings attached to them, he told me that he had them made while in Paris on leave. Jon

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Fantastic collection, love the A2`s & the Airborne groupings..Superb.........517th

Thanks for the compliment 517th, I've admired your collection for some time, it appears that our interests are quite similar. Jon

I have a question regarding a particular item in one of your photos, I hope I don't stir anything up on the forum by asking this, as it is regarding a non- U.S related item.
I could see a WW2 Whitewashed German Medics helmet, not sure if it was an M40 or an M42, is this a re-paint or a repro? It looks way too white......there has to be some yellowing at least....
I'm not trying to be critical here in any way, just curious.....
Nice organization and appearance though, with your collection, way to go!
Cheers,
Duffy

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

I have a question regarding a particular item in one of your photos, I hope I don't stir anything up on the forum by asking this, as it is regarding a non- U.S related item.
I could see a WW2 Whitewashed German Medics helmet, not sure if it was an M40 or an M42, is this a re-paint or a repro? It looks way too white......there has to be some yellowing at least....
I'm not trying to be critical here in any way, just curious.....
Nice organization and appearance though, with your collection, way to go!
Cheers,
Duffy

Good eye Duffy, the helmet is original, but for what ever reason the vet or his kids did a repaint on it. The inside brim of the helmet has the original white paint that does have the yellowing that you mentioned. When you examine the outside of the helmet you can see through the newer coat of paint and see the outline of the original red crosses. I purchased it from the daughter of the deceased vet, she said that her brothers use to play army with it, I guess they decided it wasn't clean enough looking, and it needed an overhaul. The helmet itself is a M-42 and has a bullet hole through the top, it looks like that medic was going to need some help of his own. Thanks Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the reply and for the info.
I figured it had a repaint of some sort, as all of the original examples I have ever seen, have had
yellowing to them, with the amount of yellowing depending on the type of storage they might have had throughout the years.
Nice put together displays though, take this as a compliment as I am honest about being very picky and
particular.....
You have seperated everything well, grouped everything accordingly to each other, and have that classy
look at the same time with the display boxes, etc.
Nice looking collection!
Duffy

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Hi John, thanks for your efforts!
I'm looking forward to your answer.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom, I had a chance to go through my 17th AB groups, I had only one thing that was from the 513th. Its a great photo album to a man named Victor L. Johnrow. Theres probably about 35 pages of photos, newspaper articles, and letters while he was stationed at Camp Forrest, Tennessee. Looks like most are training related, but if you look closely at the photos you can see 513th patches on there jump jackets. Jon

post-96964-0-41682200-1423876484.jpg

post-96964-0-40563000-1423876485.jpg

post-96964-0-34015000-1423876486.jpg

post-96964-0-81786200-1423876486.jpg

post-96964-0-34058600-1423876487.jpg

post-96964-0-83337800-1423876487.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom, I had a chance to go through my 17th AB groups, I had only one thing that was from the 513th. Its a great photo album to a man named Victor L. Johnrow. Theres probably about 35 pages of photos, newspaper articles, and letters while he was stationed at Camp Forrest, Tennessee. Looks like most are training related, but if you look closely at the photos you can see 513th patches on there jump jackets. Jon

Dear Jon,

My computer crashed about 2 weeks ago so I haven't looked at the forum anymore.
The computer has been returned to me today so I just noticed your reply a few minutes ago.

Thank you very much for the additional information and pictures.
That grouping is absolutely AWESOME!! If you ever plan of selling it..... ;)
There are probably a lot of interesting pictures. Are there also some actual battlefield pics?

Am I right that you misspelled the name that it is Johndrow in stead of Johnrow

Thanks again,
Tom

Interested in the 17th Airborne Division & 8th Armored Division!

Hi Tom, glad that you liked the photo album. You were right, I did spell his last name wrong. The album is mostly state side training stuff, with some newspaper articles, telegrams, orders, etc. I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to part with it, chances are probably slim. Thanks Jon

Hi Tom, glad that you liked the photo album. You were right, I did spell his last name wrong. The album is mostly state side training stuff, with some newspaper articles, telegrams, orders, etc. I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to part with it, chances are probably slim. Thanks Jon

Thank you very much, Jon.

Regards, Tom

Interested in the 17th Airborne Division & 8th Armored Division!

• 1 month later...

CRAZY collection! Are you preparing to mobilise? Very impressive

Bez

Historian and Author.

"And Suddenly They Were Gone." - An oral and pictorial history of the 82nd Airborne Division in England.
"My Clear Conscience." - Biography of E.Company, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment veteran, George Shenkle (all proceeds to charity).

Working on three volume series about US IX Troop Carrier Command, starting with 52nd Troop Carrier Wing and would cherish any information (including wartime memorabilia) or photographs anyone has to share.

www.overlord-publishing.com

Jon,

O-U-T-S-AN-N-D-I-N-G !!!!COLLECTION AND DISPLAYS.THANKS FOR SHARING THE FORCE STUFF,WHAT IS THE STORY ON THE GUIDON?

I HAVE A LARGER VERSION OF THE BAR PICTURE GIVEN TO ME BY THE VETERAN,HR IS THE SECOND MAN IN FROM THR RIGHT.HE IS WEARING THE IKE AND JUMP BOOTS.HIS NAME IS DARWIN BEAM.I BELIEVE THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN NORWAY.

RON

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Outstanding collection. Looks to be just a ton of great items.

Love the A-2 jackets as I collect them as well!

One thing that did jump out at me is that you may want to

get some of those A-2 jackets off the wire hangers. They

don't like that too much. Sorry to be a nag.

Great Stuff!!

J.D.

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Jon,

O-U-T-S-AN-N-D-I-N-G !!!!COLLECTION AND DISPLAYS.THANKS FOR SHARING THE FORCE STUFF,WHAT IS THE STORY ON THE GUIDON?

I HAVE A LARGER VERSION OF THE BAR PICTURE GIVEN TO ME BY THE VETERAN,HR IS THE SECOND MAN IN FROM THR RIGHT.HE IS WEARING THE IKE AND JUMP BOOTS.HIS NAME IS DARWIN BEAM.I BELIEVE THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN NORWAY.

RON

Thanks Ron, the guidon came from a trooper that was in the service company, its not numbered and 100% original. You are right, the bar room picture was taken in Norway. Jon

Outstanding collection. Looks to be just a ton of great items.

Love the A-2 jackets as I collect them as well!

One thing that did jump out at me is that you may want to

get some of those A-2 jackets off the wire hangers. They

don't like that too much. Sorry to be a nag.

Great Stuff!!

J.D.

Thanks J.D., thats a very old picture of the A-2's, most all are on busts or on heavily padded Wood hangers. Jon