1951 USAF Ike and Pants w/bullion wings

MattS

I picked this up today because it was cheap and very interesting. Korean War 1951 dated coat and 1950 pants, both named inside to a LT G. Henderson. I can only guess that LT Henderson got out of the USAF or got a new uniform and this one got passed on to a Master Sergeant. The bullion master crewmember wings were the selling point here. No ribbons, but he was probably a WW2 vet. Any comments welcome!

post-32676-1303602171.jpg

Any marks on the shoulder straps indicating it ever had a pin on insignia??? If it were mine, I would think a MSgt picked it up used and put his own do-dads on it......

Mark sends

If there were officer's insignia on here, it was a long time ago because I don't see any pin holes on the shoulder straps. Maybe the MSGT was the crew chief for the LT and inherited his blues when LT Henderson went home?

It's also possible that he was a "mustang" officer with a temporary commission and was later reverted back to the enlisted ranks. I don't know how common that was during/after Korea but it happened a lot (I know from personal knowlegge that it happened in the Marines) during the Vietnam War.

My old platoon commander rose to the rank of Captain as a mustang officer but after the war he reverted back to the rank of 1st Sgt, the rank that the majority of his year group "peers" had attained while he was in the officer ranks. He retired as a Sgt Major but was able to retire at the highest rank held....Captain of Marines. After reverting to 1st Sgt, he sewed his chevrons on one of his officer's blouses.

I like the look....is it for sale? ;)

Thanks Bill, that hadn't occurred to me! He could have been a temporary LT. Not for sale, I think I'll hang onto it, but thanks for the comments! :thumbsup: