Para Marine WW2 Patch ,Need help

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Hi Guys

Need some help on this patch that I just aquired. There is some glue on the backFrom being in a photo book, Does any one know how to get it off without hurting the patch. Can I here some thoughts. Thanks

Nick

post-421-1191684411.jpg

It is probably water soluable, but that's a good patch- DO YOU REALLY want to take the risk of screwing it up?

You can always try to soak it off later on, if you change your mind, but if somethign should go wring you cant go back.

Do you really need to clean it off? I once tried to do something similar and the backing cloth just disintigrated in plain water. Probably one in a million, but when it is stable and not not really hurting the patch, and not visible from the front, I'd leave it alone.

My 2 cents.

I, too would leave it alone. the glue isn't visible when the patch is displayed, and that's a nice patch thumbsup.gif I'd put it right in the center of my Paramarine display case and leave it as is

I, too would leave it alone

I third that recommendation: if it ain't broke, don't break it. No matter what you did there would always be visible traces of the glue and as noted you risk causing considerable damage just to get to that stage.

Nick,

I'm one of those patch collectors that likes the patches to look the same way they came off the uniform, not the way they came out of a scrap album, so if you don't like those unsightly glue spots any more than I do, you might try using a sharp pocketknife blade or Exacto Knife and VERY GENTLY start to scrape at the glue spots from the center of the spots out. Many of the older glues like poster and rubber used years ago pretty much just lie on top of the wool or felt and really didn't soak all the way through, so depending on what type of glue was used, you might be able to scrape it enough that the glue starts to break up. If it's poster glue, you can scrape it enough that it will start breaking up and then you'll then be able to pick it off one tiny piece at a time with a tweezers until it's gone. If it's rubber glue, you might even be able to gently pull up on the edges enough to slice it off intact without damaging the wool or felt underneath. It's a very time consuming project, because you really want to be careful not to damage the wool or felt, but I've done it with the same glue damage to the point you would never know there were glue spots. Never, ever soak patches with wool or felt in them! If the material isn't colofast, the red dye will leach through to the white on the Para patch and ruin it.

Gary

pathfinder505
I have a better idea. Why don't you smack the nimrod that did this to that patch...

Chris

I have an even better idea, just send me the patch and out of sight...out of mind. No more worrying about glue.

I'd buy it, too. Can't blame a nimrod, the veteran himself may have glued it in a scrap book. happens quite often

Raidercollector

Thanks Guys for all the input. I will leave the patch as it is.When I sell it the next care taker can worry about it.

Nick

Raidercollector

Here are a couple more para patchs I thought I would share with you guys. The smaller one is twill US made.Taken off a uniforum. The second is the larger style one on cotton. If there is any thoughts on these ,Don,t hold back.

Nick

post-421-1192559499.jpg

Nick,

I'd leave the patch alone also.

I don't really see any problem with the other patches either!

I often hear in collector circles that those smaller twill patches are 'shirt' patches. NOT!

Brig,

They are simply just another type of shoulder patch. I have a couple named PM uniforms in my collection that have this on the 'Alphas'. I have also had a couple of Raider uniforms with this twill type of patch on the uniform and not the shirt.

My belief is that before the US embroidered ones were made, the choices were slim, either Aussie or the small twill. I think that all the embroidered patches are 'late' patches.

My belief is that before the US embroidered ones were made, the choices were slim, either Aussie or the small twill. I think that all the embroidered patches are 'late' patches.

interesting theory think.gif

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this trend?