Is this a military chaplin's field kit?

Tonomachi

I saw this at the flea market today and judging from its size it is a religious field kit missing the shoulder strap but could it be military? There are no markings anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

post-1389-1303589939.jpg

post-1389-1303589949.jpg

post-1389-1303589974.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

I think that's for Annoiting of the Sick, which is a last rites ceremony. In that case it would need to be mobile. I doubt that it's military. Best ABN :thumbsup:

El Bibliotecario

All I can offer are more questions:

Was/is chaplain's gear contracted for like other military equipment, or commercially purchased off the shelf? If the latter, how does one tell the difference between something commerically purchased by a civilian priest?

Hopefully it is for annointing the sick. As a non catholic, my first thought was that it was for communion, which made me wonder what the chaplain would do if he had more than six communicants show up. Grab the next guy in line and detail him to wash the six glasses?

Airborne-Hunter
All I can offer are more questions:

Was/is chaplain's gear contracted for like other military equipment, or commercially purchased off the shelf? If the latter, how does one tell the difference between something commerically purchased by a civilian priest?

Hopefully it is for annointing the sick. As a non catholic, my first thought was that it was for communion, which made me wonder what the chaplain would do if he had more than six communicants show up. Grab the next guy in line and detail him to wash the six glasses?

I think you nailed it. Mobile communion kit. Sort of a last Communion. The more I think about it, Annoiting of the Sick kits have a few more pieces. The main bowl would be for the waffers. The wine would go in the larger bottle and the waffers in the round tin. There are only six small cups because there would probably only be a small limited number of people taking part. Best ABN

This is a protestant communion kit.

A civilian and military clergy person would use this kit.

It is off the shelf and not designed just for the military.

I've seen these in the military.