Shoulder Cords

MBS

Found some additional photos online. The colorized photo indicates different colors than the UN cord. Also, his uniform was different when the MOH was awarded.

Yes quite curious, I too seen that other foto, too bad we can't see others from that award day. In the second one we do see he's not wearing the ROK PUC, looks like he's not wearing the rope either, at least from what little we can see of his left side, also can't tell if he's got the lower lapel U.S. discs. I'm pretty much convinced that the foto of him as a head shot as were is one taken a little later then the award date maybe a couple of years, and is still the same overall uniform coat, still got the 17th Inf DIs on the old style PRE Buffalo type.

Also what gives me this impression is his hair is also different, note on the award day he's got a crew cut, and the one with the rope he got a a comb-able tuft, and his facial wounds are more healed right? in the award date foto his jaw seems to be more swollen and below the eye as well..

As far as the rope???? Still think it could be the UN one, and he just acquired it and wore it. If it wasn't for the 17th Inf DIs one would say with some qualification that the rope is the one for the Médaille Militaire, but that was worn in the 1st Inf Div on duty in Germany.

Would go by that colorized one, hell it's colorized in Army Green 44 :D

• 2 months later...

Infantryman of one of the separate companies the 41st Infantry Regiment assigned to the Combat Development Command decked out with the Infantry shoulder cord and backing discks behind his branch and cap insignia.

post-1761-0-88933200-1449928386.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WittWorldWide.com

Mint Condition-UnUsed Old Stock Army Engineer Should Cord, Most Likely Post-Korea-Early Vietnam Era, that came from the inventory of an old Chicago Uniform/Insignia Store that closed over 30 years ago. Approx. 13" in Length/26" in Circumference.

ArmyEngineerCordVietxx.jpg

• 3 months later...
Jamecharles

I've found this aiguilette but as you can see the pendant is silver instead gilt, this means something?

please give me your opinion :)

Thank you all

GS

post-770-0-40466000-1462438030.jpg

Giancarlo,

Your French CdG fourragere is undoubtedly a WWII vintage piece. What I would assume has happened here is that the original gold colored tip has been switched out with a silver tip. In the 1960's and 70's, army soldiers were authorized to wear silver buttons on their class A uniforms so long as their collar brass was a matching color. I would assume that the tip was changed so that it would match the silver buttons on the uniform.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
hardheaded

I thought that only White House Aides wore the Aiguillettes and I checked the Regs and Allan H. is right all aides wear them the difference being White House Aides wear them on the right shoulder and others wear them on the left. But while I was looking at the Regs I came across another authorized cord, it is for the US Army Marksmanship Unit and subordinate training units. It is described as a blue cord 3/16 inch in diameter bearing at 9/16 inch intervals a serrated band of 1/16 inch white, 1/16 inch red, 1/16 inch white; overall length not to exceed 52 inches. I have never seen one of these, if any one has one I would like to see a picture. There are also locally authorized white cords worn by MPs along with their white hats and belts on ceremonial occasions, you don't see this too often but it is done. As for unauthorized cords they are made and worn in every branch colour but only the Infantry Blue ones are authorized. Man, have I got too much time on my hands.

QED4,

Here's a picture of an Army Marksmanship Unit cord.

HH

post-108826-0-09054700-1464406061.jpg

Mint Condition-UnUsed Old Stock Army Engineer Should Cord, Most Likely Post-Korea-Early Vietnam Era, that came from the inventory of an old Chicago Uniform/Insignia Store that closed over 30 years ago. Approx. 13" in Length/26" in Circumference.

ArmyEngineerCordVietxx.jpg

we were wearing these in the late 1980s, in the Navy, at Recruit Training Center Great Lakes. They b were worn by Recruit Company Commander school assigned to.the "Standards and Evaluations Department", and "Military Evaluations Department" these were theven guys who wrote the instructions on how to train recruits, inspected recruits and taught Company Commander School. In 1989 or so, we all went back to Red Ropes, and all the other colors were collected up and disposed of. Guess they went down to Chicago.

WittWorldWide.com

Love the note, and makes sense, as this place had surplus as well was my understanding. Guessing they Improvised with what was on hand...

Be Safe, and Enjoy your Weekend!

RW

Love the note, and makes sense, as this place had surplus as well was my understanding. Guessing they Improvised with what was on hand...

Be Safe, and Enjoy your Weekend!

RW

I used to go into a shop in Chicago routinely. It had all kinds of stuff, going back to WW1. But you had to know what you were looking at. Not a lot of organization, just boxes of stuff and stacks.

The ropes we wore were from the Army. While I was at Great Lakes, we had various colors used. Recruit Company Commander school wore Red. Assistant RCC wore Light Blue, RCC for "Special Units" ( band, drill team) wore Dark Blue and Gold. Volunteer RCC (for NJROTC and Sea Cadet mini Boot Camp) wore Black and White. And, like noted, Standards and Evaluation Department and Military Evaluations Department wore the Red and White. Eventually, all were abolished except the Red and Light Blue. The Light Blue, I believe. Is worn now by Recruit Division Chief (new term for RCC), Under Instruction.

ItemCo16527

I used to go into a shop in Chicago routinely. It had all kinds of stuff, going back to WW1. But you had to know what you were looking at. Not a lot of organization, just boxes of stuff and stacks.

The ropes we wore were from the Army. While I was at Great Lakes, we had various colors used. Recruit Company Commander school wore Red. Assistant RCC wore Light Blue, RCC for "Special Units" ( band, drill team) wore Dark Blue and Gold. Volunteer RCC (for NJROTC and Sea Cadet mini Boot Camp) wore Black and White. And, like noted, Standards and Evaluation Department and Military Evaluations Department wore the Red and White. Eventually, all were abolished except the Red and Light Blue. The Light Blue, I believe. Is worn now by Recruit Division Chief (new term for RCC), Under Instruction.

That is correct. When I was at Great Lakes in 2010, RDCs wore red ropes, and RDCs under instruction wore blue.

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-97076700-1465316832.jpg

A most curious one, William E. Shambora, that Rope he's wearing sure looks like the Devil's Brigade right? But can't see anywhere that Shambora served in this unit, seems to have served within the 1st Army in the Big One WW TWO (I think).

AirMechanic

Can anyone identify this shoulder cord? I initially thought that it was faded (it is a little soiled though), and perhaps was another color, but the colors under the knot look a little brighter. They are red and white. I found it with some WWII Marine items, so I'm not sure what to think about it. Also, is there a way to date these based on their construction or certain features?

post-7244-0-14391500-1465365712.jpg

post-7244-0-72326400-1465365888.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

f8ceb05e66d92cb7c641326b437d8339.jpg

The one on the top is WWII (note continuous Red line), the bottom is WWI (note Red flecks).

Thank you PATCHES. These things always confused me.