Shoulder Cords

Man you guys are great, and I really didn’t mean to ruffle anyone’s feathers.  We never know what that “first letter” was before PO, we all thought it was a 6 also.  As I said that makes so much more sense.

hey limbs work, you all have a way better shot than I do of catching little details.  But it adds more to the confusion since he’s back to PFC in his postcard from Africa.  That means between 8/42 enlistment as a regular PVT In coastal Atry and 10/43 In Africa he was promoted to SGT and busted back to PFC.  but I guess that goes with his insistence that he not be responsible for other guys.  His ribbon bar includes the Purple Heart, ETO-Africa-MidEast with 5 stars, Asia-Pacific, WWII Victory and American Defense.

i really appreciate helping to clarify this stuff.  Unfortunately no one asked my grandfather a lot of questions about his service.  

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all, Thanks Scott, yes, we can say that "96" is a FA. When he was in the 194th FA Bn, which was a Big Gun unit, an 8in Howitzer unit, it was as mentioned a Corps Arty unit, II Corps, here it fights in the Cassino Battles, it stays south of Anzio then advances north to Rome and beyond when the the Anzio Beachhead breaks out.

Here's a photo of the battalion in action during the Monte Camino fighting early in December 1943, juuust before the fighting for Monte Cassino the following month, piece is from A Battery.

arty_5.jpg.f211365e91cdc085a03864d0d4b0d605.jpg

I have to make one correction from my previous quote though, turns out the 194th FA Bn only goes to France in November 1944, not what I thought, August 1944 in the Invasion of Southern France, it sees action with the 7th Army in the Alsace with VI Corps, for the rest of the war. (Thus my error, as I seen it was with VI Corps in the Alsace in late 44 into 45, it however did not leave Italy with in August 1944 to invade Southern France), as to any connection to XII Corps and the 3rd Army in the ETO, no, it does not show in either units Order of Battle.

3 hours ago, Scott13 said:

Man you guys are great, and I really didn’t mean to ruffle anyone’s feathers.  We never know what that “first letter” was before PO, we all thought it was a 6 also.  As I said that makes so much more sense.

hey limbs work, you all have a way better shot than I do of catching little details.  But it adds more to the confusion since he’s back to PFC in his postcard from Africa.  That means between 8/42 enlistment as a regular PVT In coastal Atry and 10/43 In Africa he was promoted to SGT and busted back to PFC.  but I guess that goes with his insistence that he not be responsible for other guys.  His ribbon bar includes the Purple Heart, ETO-Africa-MidEast with 5 stars, Asia-Pacific, WWII Victory and American Defense.

i really appreciate helping to clarify this stuff.  Unfortunately no one asked my grandfather a lot of questions about his service.  

Uh Oh, a Pacific Campaign Ribbon????? I can't imagine where that comes in as you state he was in the 84th FA Bn 9th Inf Div when he went home for discharge.

By the Way, you didn't ruffle my feathers LOL, these kind of topics are a bitch to sort though, most members who have this info they have stick to it, cause that what they've known for years, there's many times gaps, omissions all sorts of stuff the family thinks they have down, but as we dig deeper, proving that there were errors all along. We see that quite a few times with obituaries in example of former servicemen who passed in old age, even now in this day, Vietnam Vets, info compiled by the family is rife with errors and or incomplete etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Green beret with a candy stripe of an unknown group and Special Forces DUI's worn by an infantryman wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and discs. Note he is also wearing a fourragere. 

Beret.Green.Candy Stripe.Infantry Shoulder Cord & Discs.jpg

• 1 month later...