Shoulder Cords

MBS

Thanks all, Thanks Scott, yes, we can say that "96" is a FA. When he was in the 194th FA Bn, which was a Big Gun unit, an 8in Howitzer unit, it was as mentioned a Corps Arty unit, II Corps, here it fights in the Cassino Battles, it stays south of Anzio then advances north to Rome and beyond when the the Anzio Beachhead breaks out.

Here's a photo of the battalion in action during the Monte Camino fighting early in December 1943, juuust before the fighting for Monte Cassino the following month, piece is from A Battery.

arty_5.jpg.f211365e91cdc085a03864d0d4b0d605.jpg

I have to make one correction from my previous quote though, turns out the 194th FA Bn only goes to France in November 1944, not what I thought, August 1944 in the Invasion of Southern France, it sees action with the 7th Army in the Alsace with VI Corps, for the rest of the war. (Thus my error, as I seen it was with VI Corps in the Alsace in late 44 into 45, it however did not leave Italy with in August 1944 to invade Southern France), as to any connection to XII Corps and the 3rd Army in the ETO, no, it does not show in either units Order of Battle.

3 hours ago, Scott13 said:

Man you guys are great, and I really didn’t mean to ruffle anyone’s feathers.  We never know what that “first letter” was before PO, we all thought it was a 6 also.  As I said that makes so much more sense.

hey limbs work, you all have a way better shot than I do of catching little details.  But it adds more to the confusion since he’s back to PFC in his postcard from Africa.  That means between 8/42 enlistment as a regular PVT In coastal Atry and 10/43 In Africa he was promoted to SGT and busted back to PFC.  but I guess that goes with his insistence that he not be responsible for other guys.  His ribbon bar includes the Purple Heart, ETO-Africa-MidEast with 5 stars, Asia-Pacific, WWII Victory and American Defense.

i really appreciate helping to clarify this stuff.  Unfortunately no one asked my grandfather a lot of questions about his service.  

Uh Oh, a Pacific Campaign Ribbon????? I can't imagine where that comes in as you state he was in the 84th FA Bn 9th Inf Div when he went home for discharge.

By the Way, you didn't ruffle my feathers LOL, these kind of topics are a bitch to sort though, most members who have this info they have stick to it, cause that what they've known for years, there's many times gaps, omissions all sorts of stuff the family thinks they have down, but as we dig deeper, proving that there were errors all along. We see that quite a few times with obituaries in example of former servicemen who passed in old age, even now in this day, Vietnam Vets, info compiled by the family is rife with errors and or incomplete etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Green beret with a candy stripe of an unknown group and Special Forces DUI's worn by an infantryman wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and discs. Note he is also wearing a fourragere. 

Beret.Green.Candy Stripe.Infantry Shoulder Cord & Discs.jpg

• 1 month later...

Infantry blue shoulder cord and collar and cap disc backings worn by a soldier assigned to the 4th Battalion 54th Infantry of the 194th Armored Brigade.

Shoulder Cord.Infantry.194th Armored Brigade.jpg

• 6 months later...
seanmc1114

The photo has the following ID: "Sgt. Robert Lewis, Task Force Marshall, 4th Battalion, 323rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 98th Training Division".

The 323rd Infantry Regiment earned the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation as part of the 81st Infantry Division in World War II; the 98th Division was in the Pacific but did not see combat in World War II. But note he is wearing the DUI of the 98th Infantry Division rather than the 323rd Regiment. And also note that he is wearing the DUI of the 3rd Infantry Regiment above his right breast pocket showing his regimental affiliation and his Infantry branch insignia appears to have the numeral "3" above it. 

Also note he is wearing the Mobilization device - letter "M" - on the ribbon of his Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal and does not have the ribbonb for the Armed Forces Reserve Medal which, as far as I know, is the only medal on which the "M" device is authorized.  

Shoulder Cord.Infantry.323rd Infantry Regiment.jpg

Shoulder Cord.Infantry.323rd Infantry Regiment.2.jpg

98th Infantry Division.DUI.1.png

Can anyone help me identify this shoulder cord? My dad wore during service in Vietnam war active 1969-1970. It is on the left shoulder of his uniform. We are not sure if the colors are faded. They don't seem to be, because they are the same on both sides. We have figured out that he was ranked as E6 staff sergeant. Could it be that it indicated some level of training?  He served in Bravo Company, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

IMG_2021-04-27_16-35-11small.jpeg

268th C.A.

Its called an Fourragere. these are authorized to wear by any member of the unit or division, if they are entitled. They were awarded in WW1 & 2.  France and Belgium awarded these. 

Well 22nd Infantry was awarded the Belgian Fourragere in WWII, it was in the 4th Infantry Division, unit needed two citations in the orders of the Belgian Army

Belgian Fourragere 1940 (22nd Infantry cited; DA GO 43, 1950)

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in BELGIUM (22d Infantry cited; DA GO 43, 1950)

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the ARDENNES (22d Infantry cited; DA GO 43, 1950)

But this Fourragere on you have is a French one,

This is the Belgian one, it is Red Predominate, while the French is Green Predominant.

Is the coat in photo his from when he returned home from his tour?, because we're seeing the Pale Green shirt under it, this shirt was not worn by the Army till the very early 1980s, they wore back then a Tan one.

68256.jpg

c7cd69c6-f66b-11e5-9ef7-db726e6c8447.jpg

20 hours ago, patches said:

Hmmmmm......Now i'm really confused LOL

He served in the Vietnam war, in country from 1969 to 1970. Not in WW 1 and 2

Yes it was on his jacket when he returned home.

Thanks for the note about the color of the shirt. He no longer had one so we thought it might be green.

I will replace it with tan.

20 hours ago, patches said:

Well 22nd Infantry was awarded the Belgian Fourragere in WWII, it was in the 4th Infantry Division, unit needed two citations in the orders of the Belgian Army

Belgian Fourragere 1940 (22nd Infantry cited; DA GO 43, 1950)

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in BELGIUM (22d Infantry cited; DA GO 43, 1950)

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the ARDENNES (22d Infantry cited; DA GO 43, 1950)

But this Fourragere on you have is a French one,

This is the Belgian one, it is Red Predominate, while the French is Green Predominant.

Is the coat in photo his from when he returned home from his tour?, because we're seeing the Pale Green shirt under it, this shirt was not worn by the Army till the very early 1980s, they wore back then a Tan one.

68256.jpg

c7cd69c6-f66b-11e5-9ef7-db726e6c8447.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

seanmc1114
38 minutes ago, Shannon said:

IMG_1842.jpg

It's the fourragere for the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation. For a time during the Vietnam War, units that were cited twice for the award were authorized to wear the fourragere and individuals assigned and present for duty during both cited periods were authorized to wear the fourragere. The U.S. government rescinded authority to wear the fourragere some time in the early 1970's.  Here is a picture of the fourragere along with documents where the 25th division requested and was granted approval to accept the fourragere. 

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.1.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.2.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.3.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.4.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.5.jpg

Shannon, Awards of the French and Belgian Ropes are awards worn by the unit in perpetuity, so given the 22nd Infantry was awarded one in WWII, it is a permanent unit award, just like the unit citations, worn as long as one is assigned to the unit.

I wore the French one when I was in the 4th Battalion 9th Infantry in Alaska, and this was in July 1981 till I got out on a Christmas Drop in December 1982 (Real date of discharge would of been in January 1983).

post-34986-0-29019500-1377020415.jpg.1dcd96ff4637dce5013b7992adccf5b0.jpg

In example above here is the Belgian Rope worn by Chuck Hagel former secretary of defense in Vietnam in 1968, he was in the 2nd Battalion 47th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division. The 47th Infantry was awarded it in WWII, so units would wear it only when serving in that unit, like take me for example, if I wasn't getting discharged because my time was up, and was going to a new unit, lets say the 7th Infantry division at Ft Ord California, when I get there and reported to my new battalion, and when I wear my dress uniform, the French Rope will not be worn any more by me, because I am no longer in a unit that was awarded it, and so it was in the post war 40s and up to today

The only men permitted to wear the Ropes no matter what unit they serve in are men who were in the actually unit at the time the actions, even if they showed up as a replacement after the actions, these of course will be the WWII Veterans (Even WWI for those few units awarded Ropes)

The wearing of the Belgian Rope, in the post war 50s and 60s is scattershot, some units wore them and some did not, some units like the 9th Infantry I was in in example were awarded both the French and Belgian Ropes, but we only wore the French one.

For further reference Shannon, here's another example of a unit award of the Rope, here a Marine in WWII, of the 1st Marine Division, the French Rope was awarded to two Marine Regiments in WWI! the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments, they were in the Army's 2nd Division in France in WWI, in WWII the 5th Marines were assigned to the 1st Marine Division, and as you see wore the Rope awarded the unit in The Great War, their colleagues in the 6th Marines who were in the 2nd Marine Division wore the Rope too. and both the 5th and 6th Marines wear the Rope to this very day, and same thing like in the Army, when they leave the unit the Ropes come off.

post-1672-1261110252.jpg

Sean respectfully disagree, that thar is a French Rope, not an ARVN one.

See, no Yellow in it, just Green and Red, the Red looking like continuous lines rather that Specks, which then makes it a WWI one.

image.png.8127e19b641efd129422e47efeea6109.png

• 2 weeks later...

An unknown Rope of the Fourragere style seen being worn by a 3rd Service Command GI, he has either a Officers Medical Corps BOS Badge or a removed Caduceus off an EM Screwback Disc on his Cap, and appears to have a Medical Corps Collar Disc, so perhaps he is indeed a medic or medical technician and the rope is in the MC Branch Colors of Maroon and White.

mkiture.PNG

ItemCo16527
On 5/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, seanmc1114 said:

It's the fourragere for the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation. For a time during the Vietnam War, units that were cited twice for the award were authorized to wear the fourragere and individuals assigned and present for duty during both cited periods were authorized to wear the fourragere. The U.S. government rescinded authority to wear the fourragere some time in the early 1970's.  Here is a picture of the fourragere along with documents where the 25th division requested and was granted approval to accept the fourragere. 

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.1.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.2.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.3.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.4.jpg

RVN Gallantry Cross Unit Citation.Fourragere.5.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I always thought the fourragere was unauthorized. Nice to see actual orders awarding it.

• 6 months later...

Command Sergeant Major Roy D. James served as the command sergeant major of the 1st Battalion 148th Infantry Regiment from 2002-2007. He is seen here wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and collar disks with the senior enlisted advisor branch insignia. I assume he would have the 11Z MOS.

Shoulder Cord.Infantry.1-148th.CSM Roy D. James.jpg

Branch Immaterial.Command Sergeant Major.png

On 9/4/2020 at 10:58 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Green beret with a candy stripe of an unknown group and Special Forces DUI's worn by an infantryman wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and discs. Note he is also wearing a fourragere. 

Beret.Green.Candy Stripe.Infantry Shoulder Cord & Discs.jpg

It’s the Reserve Component Recognition Bar, which was worn by (Non SF Qualified ) all USAR & ARNG SF Units until the late ‘60s.

E0CAFE46-4B86-4C89-8270-1D5ACEB72DFB.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
seanmc1114

SP4 Frank Louie Feedle of the 1st Aviation Brigade wearing Infantry branch insignia, discs and shoulder cord. He was killed in action in an air crash in Vietnam on April 19, 1968. His profile states that his MOS was 11B1O and he was assigned to the 155th Assault Helicopter Company. His tour began on March 2, 1967, so based on his date of death he probably extended his tour and went home on leave in March 1968 before returning for to Vietnam to complete the extension. The photo was probably taken while he was home on leave.

Shoulder Cord.Infantry.1st Aviation Brigade.2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another one of those late 40s into the 50s 1st Army Ropes of Red White and Black, thought curiously the officer here seems to be wearing the old type patch still, the OD one and not the new Red and White one yet.

He is Colonel Stanley Bacon Sr. was the 1st Army Military Personnel Procurement Officer, in charge of recruiting in New York, New Jersey and New England, from 1947 until 1953 when he retired.

jui.jpg

Sailorjerry45

Would anyone happen to have any info on this one? It looks like the belgian cdg to me but it obviously wouldn't make sense on a PTO uniform. Any chance it's something else or just added on?

20220610_152634.jpg.3d8201afa863746d5430557afe6c2c2e.jpg

22 hours ago, Sailorjerry45 said:

Would anyone happen to have any info on this one? It looks like the belgian cdg to me but it obviously wouldn't make sense on a PTO uniform. Any chance it's something else or just added on?

20220610_152634.jpg.3d8201afa863746d5430557afe6c2c2e.jpg

Yeah I was going to ask you on this, could we see a photo from a different angle up close.