Shoulder Cords

MBS

Skysoldier80

I wonder if he knew Forrest Gump?

Here's an interesting one. A Vietnam War combat medic of the 2nd Battalion 47th Infantry wearing his Combat Medical Badge and Medical Corps branch insignia with Infantry blue shoulder cord and branch discs. Note he is not wearing a 9th Infantry Division SSI or Infantry blue disc behind his cap device.

• 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Infantry Blue shoulder cord worn by an Air Defense Artillery officer assigned to the 1st Battalion 15th Infantry around 1974. Interestingly, the Center for Military History shows the battalion is not only entitled to the Presidential Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster, but also the Navy Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation and Korean Presidential Unit Citation

post-1761-0-82255300-1557256938_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-80077300-1557256951.jpg

Infantry Blue shoulder cord worn by an Air Defense Artillery officer assigned to the 1st Battalion 15th Infantry around 1974. Interestingly, the Center for Military History shows the battalion is not only entitled to the Presidential Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster, but also the Navy Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation and Korean Presidential Unit Citation

Bet he was the battalion's CSC Redeye Platoon Leader, still wouldn't think he would be wearing the Blue Rope, unless it was a unit prescribed thing however brief, like these guys in the two units I was in 80-82 did not wear the Blue Stuff, this being the CSC of the 2/12 Cav and E Co 4/9 Inf.

seanmc1114

Bet he was the battalion's CSC Redeye Platoon Leader, still wouldn't think he would be wearing the Blue Rope, unless it was a unit prescribed thing however brief, like these guys in the two units I was in 80-82 did not wear the Blue Stuff, this being the CSC of the 2/12 Cav and E Co 4/9 Inf.

I'm pretty sure all of the regulations regarding the wear of distinctive Infantry insignia (shoulder cord, disc backings and bibs) have always prescribed that they were to be worn exclusively by members of the Infantry branch, not simply to anyone assigned to an infantry unit, regardless of branch.

I'm pretty sure all of the regulations regarding the wear of distinctive Infantry insignia (shoulder cord, disc backings and bibs) have always prescribed that they were to be worn exclusively by members of the Infantry branch, not simply to anyone assigned to an infantry unit, regardless of branch.

Well it was done at a certain point the PENTOMIC Era at least within the 4th Inf Div in 1963, even W/Os wearing the Blue Rope in the various Infantry HQs. So why this O of the ADA is wearing the rope? only two gueeses, a unit thing however brief, or he just put one on just for this portait.

firefighter

This is a meme. But it shows Member a of the 2nd M.P. Co/2nd INF DIV wearing cords.Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is a meme. But it shows Member a of the 2nd M.P. Co/2nd INF DIV wearing cords.52ed7a46405c862a4b19779665bdd114.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah this was posted before in I think one of the Brassard topics, but without the captions :lol:

seanmc1114

Infantry cord and discs worn by a Sergeant Major assigned to the Sergeants Major Academy. I'm not sure this is technically authorized since I don't believe the SMA is an infantry unit.

post-1761-0-93621900-1558307209.jpg

post-1761-0-72033800-1558307218.jpg

post-1761-0-06305100-1558307261.png

You know Sean (Not counting any 60s or 70s examples) we're just seeing so many photos/portraits of contemporary NCOs and Officers who presumably hold an Infantry 11 Series MOS assigned to non infantry TOE units wearing the Blue Stuff, that the only thing I can take from this is that the conclusion, that the criterias have changed for the wear of Infantry Blue Distinctives, that as long as the 11 Series MOS is their Primary, they can wear the Blue when assigned to a non infantry unit.

Take this Infantry Sergeant Major at the Sergeant Major's Academy, he may in fact be a student, I have the third graduation yearbook for this course, the portraits of the student have them wearing the new SMA Shoulder patch, the DIs of the organization, just like the one you posted, BUT, they all wear the Branch Unassigned discs, no branch discs of their MOS, Infantry, Field Artillery, Armor etc etc, and certainly no Blue Stuff if they are Infantry, and apparently while this 1974 course was in progress a lot of the students, are promoted from E-8 to E-9, as their is a photo section in this yearbook of the promotion ceremonies, here they're all have the Sergeant Major chevrons pinned on rather then Command Sergeant Major ones so I'm imagining this is the case today with the SGM you posted, as he's apparently I believe still attending the course and just got promoted but is wearing the Blue, then there must of been a change in the REGS somewhere down the line recently.

Whether there's an AR on this, a heretofore undiscovered one I don't know.

Of course one good way to find out would be ask these men in the photos, hey why are you wearing the Blue, are allowed or are you just doing it with out authorization? :lol:

seanmc1114

You know Sean (Not counting any 60s or 70s examples) we're just seeing so many photos/portraits of contemporary NCOs and Officers who presumably hold an Infantry 11 Series MOS assigned to non infantry TOE units wearing the Blue Stuff, that the only thing I can take from this is that the conclusion, that the criterias have changed for the wear of Infantry Blue Distinctives, that as long as the 11 Series MOS is their Primary, they can wear the Blue when assigned to a non infantry unit.

Take this Infantry Sergeant Major at the Sergeant Major's Academy, he may in fact be a student, I have the third graduation yearbook for this course, the portraits of the student have them wearing the new SMA Shoulder patch, the DIs of the organization, just like the one you posted, BUT, they all wear the Branch Unassigned discs, no branch discs of their MOS, Infantry, Field Artillery, Armor etc etc, and certainly no Blue Stuff if they are Infantry, and apparently while this 1974 course was in progress a lot of the students, are promoted from E-8 to E-9, as their is a photo section in this yearbook of the promotion ceremonies, here they're all have the Sergeant Major chevrons pinned on rather then Command Sergeant Major ones so I'm imagining this is the case today with the SGM you posted, as he's apparently I believe still attending the course and just got promoted but is wearing the Blue, then there must of been a change in the REGS somewhere down the line recently.

Whether there's an AR on this, a heretofore undiscovered one I don't know.

Of course one good way to find out would be ask these men in the photos, hey why are you wearing the Blue, are allowed or are you just doing it with out authorization? :lol:

Attached is, as far as I can tell, the most current regulations regarding the wear of Infantry devices. My reading of the regulations don't show an exception for students or faculty of the Sergeants Major Academy. It is authorized for wear by Army recruiters, ROTC instructors and faculty and staff of the U.S. Military Academy so long as they have an Infantry primary MOS.

post-1761-0-63670100-1558355789_thumb.jpg

Attached is, as far as I can tell, the most current regulations regarding the wear of Infantry devices. My reading of the regulations don't show an exception for students or faculty of the Sergeants Major Academy. It is authorized for wear by Army recruiters, ROTC instructors and faculty and staff of the U.S. Military Academy so long as they have an Infantry primary MOS.

See that is quite a change, take the Recruiters, I was a Recruiter Aide after Basic and AIT, April-May 1980, the Station commander was a 11Bravo 25th Inf Div Vietnam Vet E-7, he was still Infantry, but he wore the Branch Unassigned with no Blue, in fact no one wore their branch discs.

Lets see, the other recruiting sergeants I remember were two more Vietnam Vets, one a E-6 Air Traffic Controller who was in the I suppose the HHT of the 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, 1969-70, I gather he wore the Transportation Corps discs prior to becoming a recruiter, another was a E-6 11Bravo 173rd Airborne Brigade vet, 1966-67, I talked about him a ways back, he apparently came from the 82nd before going to the recruiters school or whatever, he wore no Blue stuff, but would wear his garrison cap with the Paragilder patch, probably Oked by the station commander to promote the Go Airborne theme, the other one was a second enlistment E-5 MP, I think he came in to the Army sometime in 1975, he first was in West Germany then the Cav at Hood, again no MP disc, one more though, this one was an E-6 too,, he was the station's Reserve Recruiter, one of those full time Reservists, he interestingly wore the Adjutant Generals Branch disc for whatever reason.

• 1 month later...
seanmc1114

Infantry shoulder cord and discs worn by an NCO assigned to the European Command. I can't make out his DUI. I'm also not sure what the badge on the left pocket is. I assume it is NATO.

post-1761-0-03141100-1561992743.jpg

seanmc1114

NCO's of the 1st Battalion 162nd Infantry 41st Infantry Brigade wearing infantry blue shoulder cords and discs. Note the sergeant on the left has the Airborne patch on his overseas cap. Also note the corporal on the right. Early 1990's.

post-1761-0-98236900-1562181744_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another combat medic wearing Medical Corps branch insignia with the Infantry blue shoulder cord and discs. I can't quite make out the DUI, but based on the jump wings oval, it may be the 325th Infantry of the 82nd Airborne Division. The Presidential Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster fits with the 325th Infantry.

post-1761-0-79666200-1564060925_thumb.jpg

firefighter

Here's another combat medic wearing Medical Corps branch insignia with the Infantry blue shoulder cord and discs. I can't quite make out the DUI, but based on the jump wings oval, it may be the 325th Infantry of the 82nd Airborne Division. The Presidential Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster fits with the 325th Infantry.

Looks like a subdue CMB

Looks like a subdue CMB

I'm pretty sure it's silver. I think it's just got a matte finish unlike all of the super shiny stabrite badges they wear nowadays.

firefighter

I'm pretty sure it's silver. I think it's just got a matte finish unlike all of the super shiny stabrite badges they wear nowadays.

I was comparing it to the 2 jump wings and the ‘60-‘ scroll on the VNCMP ribbon.

• 3 weeks later...

Infantry shoulder cord and discs and Sixth Army SSI worn by a member of the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry. The battalion was raised at Fort Lewis, Washington in November 1967 and trained specifically for deployment to Vietnam where it joined the 9th Infantry Division in April 1968.

https://www.fold3.com/page/2814-can-giuoc-6th-battalion-31st-infantry

post-1761-0-53843900-1565967513_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Infantry officer wearing the SSI and DUI of the Army Element, Military Entrance Processing Command. Regarding the current regulations as to who may wear the cord which is posted above, I wonder if soldiers assigned to the command are considered recruiters or advisors. Those are the only persons authorized to wear the Infantry cord I can think of under the regs this guy may fall under.

post-1761-0-28628200-1569013227_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-78765900-1569013242.png

post-1761-0-70513400-1569013261.png

• 3 weeks later...

Infantry blue shoulder cord and disc collar backings worn on a dress white uniform by an NCO of the Old Guard. The photo caption notes he was wearing the uniform on leave and he got a regulation haircut as soon as he returned to his unit.

post-1761-0-84710900-1570709844.jpg

Infantry blue shoulder cord and disc collar backings worn on a dress white uniform by an NCO of the Old Guard. The photo caption notes he was wearing the uniform on leave and he got a regulation haircut as soon as he returned to his unit.

What is this from the early 70s? We see the NDSM medal in full size there.