Shoulder Cords

MBS

Infantry cord and collar discs worn with Infantry branch insignia by an NCO assigned to the Army's Medical Command. My understanding of the regulations regarding the distinctive items authorized for infantry is that they are only worn while assigned to an infantry unit. I can't make out the DUI, but are there any infantry units assigned to the Medical Command? I'm not sure what unit is represented by the flag in the background, but it is clearly a medical unit.

Medical Training Detachment ?

Infantry cord and collar discs worn with Infantry branch insignia by an NCO assigned to the Army's Medical Command. My understanding of the regulations regarding the distinctive items authorized for infantry is that they are only worn while assigned to an infantry unit. I can't make out the DUI, but are there any infantry units assigned to the Medical Command? I'm not sure what unit is represented by the flag in the background, but it is clearly a medical unit.

What's this guy's Grade? E-9?

A theory; if he's an E-9 he maybe is thee CSM of this organization, is of the 11 Series Inf. Now in the past if an 11 Series Inf MOS NCO was serving in a non infantry unit, he could wear the Infantry collar disc, but not the Blue stuff, so maybe things have changed? That is if my theory is correct :lol: .

As an example of what we're talking about, this 1963-64 portrait of M/Sgt Paul Huff MOH, at this time Huff was Operations Sergeant of the 101st Abn Div SUPCOM, he's still holding apparently his 11B MOS , but since he's not serving in a Inf TOE unit, he wears just the crossed rifles disc without the Blue. One sees this too with period Drill Sergeants and other Basic Training/AIT Cadre, Inf discs, but without the Blue.

VolunteerArmoury

Medical Training Detachment ?

I'm quite confident he's WTU/WTB Cadre. That's Warrior Transition Unit or Battalion. Plenty of 11 series & everything else we're in WTUs as cadre & plenty of us were there for treatment. Many were attached as cadre to WTUs for a couple years so they still held a slot at home station if reserve component soldiers. I was an 11C assigned to a Military History Detachment which I was medevaced from. My DMOS was 46Q but my PMOS 11C, secondary was 19D, & additional 11B so technically I wasn't to wear my cord or disks on my Inf BOS. But had I been assigned to a 11 series DMOS I would've by reg. Patients or "warriors in transition" that were at the WTB or WTU for an extended time were assigned to the WTU such as my for three years. The cadre were typically NG, IRR, USAR, or retired list still belonged to their home slots so would still wear such items. One of the Surgeon Generals was an Infantry Colonel. I recall his cord on his uniform with MEDCOM. A caveat, my Class A at the time had MEDCOM, a Sustainment Command combat patch, Infantry stuff (was advised by our commander to though I wasn't in a 11 DMOS) & typically wore my CAB.

What's this guy's Grade? E-9?

A theory; if he's an E-9 he maybe is thee CSM of this organization, is of the 11 Series Inf. Now in the past if an 11 Series Inf MOS NCO was serving in a non infantry unit, he could wear the Infantry collar disc, but not the Blue stuff, so maybe things have changed? That is if my theory is correct :lol: .

As an example of what we're talking about, this 1963-64 portrait of M/Sgt Paul Huff MOH, at this time Huff was Operations Sergeant of the 101st Abn Div SUPCOM, he's still holding apparently his 11B MOS , but since he's not serving in a Inf TOE unit, he wears just the crossed rifles disc without the Blue. One sees this too with period Drill Sergeants and other Basic Training/AIT Cadre, Inf discs, but without the Blue.

This soldier retired as a Sergeant Major but I'm not sure what his grade was during this particular assignment. Per the link below, he could have been a platoon sergeant in a Multi-Disciplinary Team.

I'm quite confident he's WTU/WTB Cadre. That's Warrior Transition Unit or Battalion. Plenty of 11 series & everything else we're in WTUs as cadre & plenty of us were there for treatment. Many were attached as cadre to WTUs for a couple years so they still held a slot at home station if reserve component soldiers. I was an 11C assigned to a Military History Detachment which I was medevaced from. My DMOS was 46Q but my PMOS 11C, secondary was 19D, & additional 11B so technically I wasn't to wear my cord or disks on my Inf BOS. But had I been assigned to a 11 series DMOS I would've by reg. Patients or "warriors in transition" that were at the WTB or WTU for an extended time were assigned to the WTU such as my for three years. The cadre were typically NG, IRR, USAR, or retired list still belonged to their home slots so would still wear such items. One of the Surgeon Generals was an Infantry Colonel. I recall his cord on his uniform with MEDCOM. A caveat, my Class A at the time had MEDCOM, a Sustainment Command combat patch, Infantry stuff (was advised by our commander to though I wasn't in a 11 DMOS) & typically wore my CAB.

MDT stands for Multi-Disciplinary Team and is part of a Warrior Transition Unit. Beyond that, I'm not sure exactly how it functions but it does seem to include personnel other than medical.

https://www.army.mil/standto/archive_2016-11-21

• 2 weeks later...

Infantryman wearing the DUI of the 4th Infantry Regiment and SSI of the Seventh Army along with the blue shoulder cord and collar discs. As this was post-Desert Storm based on his ribbons, he was probably a member of the 1st Battalion 4th Infantry that served as an OPFOR unit of U.S. Army Europe.

post-1761-0-99820100-1507654884_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In 2016, Sgt. Shelby Atkins of Company C 1st Battalion 297th Infantry of the Wyoming National Guard became the first female enlisted soldier to be awarded an Infantry MOS. She is seen here wearing the Infantry blue shoulder cord and collar discs.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2016/05/27/this-sergeant-is-the-army-s-first-female-enlisted-infantry-soldier/

post-1761-0-86624800-1509712513_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
WittWorldWide.com

Wanted to post up a couple of examples of some pretty rare Croix de Guerre Forragere related items for the group here before selling the items. I'll start with this example of a Belgian Croix de Guerre Forragere made specifically for the 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Inf. Division. In over 30 yrs. of collecting I don't remember seeing another. It is beautifully done, overseas style made in a heavy silky woolen woven cording, with a heavy brass pencil, with the unit devices tightly applied...

W2BelgForrag18thIR1x.jpgW2BelgForrag18thIR2x.jpg

WittWorldWide.com

Complete Set of WW1 French Croix de Guerre Devices for all U.S. Units Awarded, Including a Blank Original USMC Authorization Card, and a Period U.S. Made Wool Cord that was used for these devices when issued. I have seen these issued from the 1920's into the WW2 Era. While none are common, Some of these devices are Exceptionally hard to find...

W1FrenchForragSet1x.jpg

WittWorldWide.com

And this is an example of a 16th Infantry Regiment Award, showing how the devices were correctly mounted, with Divisional Insignia at top of knot, and unit device below... In the Marine Corps examples the EGA would go below the the 2nd Division Indian Head.

W1FrenchCdG16thIRForrag1x.jpg

• 1 month later...

An interesting view of an unknown 1st Army twisted shoulder cord worn by all present in this 1951 photo.

post-34986-0-18466000-1514865043_thumb.jpg

Claire Phillips is greeted by Maj. Kenneth Boggs at La Guardia Airport in New York in 1951. Phillips supplied information to the Allies that saved Boggs’s life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Phillips

An interesting view of an unknown 1st Army twisted shoulder cord worn by all present in this 1951 photo.

attachicon.gif1st Ardj6.jpg

Claire Phillips is greeted by Maj. Kenneth Boggs at La Guardia Airport in New York in 1951. Phillips supplied information to the Allies that saved Boggs’s life.

Reminds me of the FSSF cord. Many that guy had a lot of combat, looks like at least 4 years.

attachicon.gif1st Ardj6.jpg

Reminds me of the FSSF cord. Many that guy had a lot of combat, looks like at least 4 years.

The WACs too :lol:, nah I think it's some kind of honor/presentation/ceremonial rope within a select unit of 1st Army

• 3 weeks later...

The WACs too :lol:, nah I think it's some kind of honor/presentation/ceremonial rope within a select unit of 1st Army

LoL! I said it just reminded of the FSSF, not that they were members.

LoL! I said it just reminded of the FSSF, not that they were members.

Yes, and I suspect it is Red White and Black twisted, the colors of the new 1st Army patch.

post-34986-0-24466100-1517114089.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, Thanks for allowing me to post some shoulder cords. I just recently found my time capsule :)
a barrel my parents had stored away with my collection of US Army items I collected in the 60's, joined the Army

Anyway I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me verify what I think these are

From looking for a few days I had come to think the first 3 were the FRENCH Croix de Guerre Fourragere
but now looking at the pictures maybe the more RED ones may be the BELGIAN version

The Yellow and Red shoulder cord I think is the

Republic of VIETNAM RVN Cord (early style, later a Ribbon was used?)

Cant figure out the GREEN and PINK Fourragere
Looks like the BERLIN Brigade Lanyard I have seen but they are discribed as
Red, Green and Black but this is Green and Pink ?

Again thanks in advance for any information or corrections on my research.

french_croix_de_guerre_aiguilette_1.jpg

french_croix_de_guerre_aiguilette_22.jpg

french_croix_de_guerre_aiguilette_all_3_

french_croix_de_guerre_aiguilette_ww1_1.

republic_of_vietnam_rvn_cord_cross_of_ga

berlin_brigade_lanyard_1.jpg

Almost forgot the Armored/Cavalry all YELLOW Shoulder Cord I think, at least that's what I think
since it looks like the picture above from 1967

yellow_lanyard_1.jpg

roadrunner

"The Yellow and Red shoulder cord I think is the

Republic of VIETNAM RVN Cord (early style, later a Ribbon was used?)"

I think the Vietnam RVN Cord is not a US version because it is to wide. I'm not sure, but I think british Army use cords like that design.

In #17 you could see a US version.

Michael

"The Yellow and Red shoulder cord I think is the

Republic of VIETNAM RVN Cord (early style, later a Ribbon was used?)"

I think the Vietnam RVN Cord is not a US version because it is to wide. I'm not sure, but I think british Army use cords like that design.

In #17 you could see a US version.

Michael

Thanks Michael

I did notice the braid difference but the colors are very close so will need to do more research.

Looking for British Fourragere I don't see many examples so will probably need more research on

that one, I wonder if there is a Vietnamese version ?

Thanks buddy much appreciated,

BTW This looks like my last post until I can get approved so not sure if I can respond until then

An interesting question, did British units wear the French Rope, why not, if we were awarded these why not the British, surely they perfomed feats of heroics that would merit they're awarding the Croix D Guerre with Palms!