Shoulder Cords

MBS

• 2 weeks later...

PFC Steven Ray Segura, who was killed in action in Vietnam on March 1, 1969 while assigned to the 25th Medical Battalion, wearing an interesting assortment of accoutrements. His bib is presumably maroon for Medical Corps and the beret may be as well but the shoulder chord almost appears pink, although white is the color of Medical Corps piping so that is also a possibility. Also, I'm not sure what the DUI is on his beret or the the flash - it almost looks like a pre-Vietnam War 5th Special Forces flash worn upside down.

Another soldier wearing the same maroon beret, flash and DUI along with the Medical Corps bib and shoulder cord.

post-1761-0-24922200-1488220274_thumb.jpg

Here is an Infantry blue shoulder cord being worn by a member of the 64th Armored Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. As a staff sergeant wearing green leadership tabs, he is probably a squad leader. Is it unusual for an infantryman to be assigned to an armored unit rather than mechanized infantry? Did the 64th have organic infantry units assigned to it?

post-1761-0-00848900-1488290484.jpg

Here is an Infantry blue shoulder cord being worn by a member of the 64th Armored Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. As a staff sergeant wearing green leadership tabs, he is probably a squad leader. Is it unusual for an infantryman to be assigned to an armored unit rather than mechanized infantry? Did the 64th have organic infantry units assigned to it?

Maybe a Recon platoon in the battalion CSC??? Mechanized Infantry of course.

A medic with a Combat Medical Badge and Medical Corps shoulder cord after returning from Vietnam in 1966.

That looks more like an Infantry cord.

Kind of strange placement for his name badge, should be on the pocket flap.

VolunteerArmoury

Maybe a Recon platoon in the battalion CSC??? Mechanized Infantry of course.

I'd be confident to guess he's an 11C Indirectfire Infantry or a mortarman. I began in as an 11C in an ACR. Armor battalions also had 11Cs. He could be an 11B in the 3 shop or such but I'd be quite confident he's an 11C in an Armor battalion's mortars just like I was one in an Cav regiment.

I'd be confident to guess he's an 11C Indirectfire Infantry or a mortarman. I began in as an 11C in an ACR. Armor battalions also had 11Cs. He could be an 11B in the 3 shop or such but I'd be quite confident he's an 11C in an Armor battalion's mortars just like I was one in an Cav regiment.

Thanks VA. Would this be a platoon right, in CSC? if so would it be Four Deuce or 81?

Also, now that I'm thinking, I'm guessing that a RECON platoon in an Armor IE Tank Battalion, would be those 19D Cavalry Scouts rather then 11Bs

post-34986-0-29437400-1488769137_thumb.jpg

A Honor Guard of an unknown unit, several of whom are Infantrymen, and wear a Yellow cord as well as the Blue one, so this Yellow cord appears to be a special HG embellishment for this particular unit.

VolunteerArmoury

Thanks VA. Would this be a platoon right, in CSC? if so would it be Four Deuce or 81?

Also, now that I'm thinking, I'm guessing that a RECON platoon in an Armor IE Tank Battalion, would be those 19D Cavalry Scouts rather then 11Bs

I've been retired three years now & it's been several years since I was in a line unit but when I was in one it was only a mortar section rather than a full mortar platoon. We had 120s. 4.2 inch (or 107mm) were gone by miss 90s as far as my experience. I began in the NG so that's looking at after they'd been handed down. We didn't even see anything about 4.2 in Mortar Gunnery. I never actually saw a 81mm track mounted but I knew they could be. We had a platoon of tanks, two scout platoons (19Ds which were an 11 series back in the 70s & maybe very early 80s until 19D was established). I know we had a tank company in each squadron with mortars but not sure if it was a platoon or section. Armor battalions are probably about the same or identical. By the way, my experience was ACR so the wheeled Cav units I don't have experience with. Seems they may've had Tows instead of tanks so 11Hs. The big Army may've pulled mortar sections to the squadron level like we were in Infantry battalions & farmed out to the companies or platoons or such as need.

I've been retired three years now & it's been several years since I was in a line unit but when I was in one it was only a mortar section rather than a full mortar platoon. We had 120s. 4.2 inch (or 107mm) were gone by miss 90s as far as my experience. I began in the NG so that's looking at after they'd been handed down. We didn't even see anything about 4.2 in Mortar Gunnery. I never actually saw a 81mm track mounted but I knew they could be. We had a platoon of tanks, two scout platoons (19Ds which were an 11 series back in the 70s & maybe very early 80s until 19D was established). I know we had a tank company in each squadron with mortars but not sure if it was a platoon or section. Armor battalions are probably about the same or identical. By the way, my experience was ACR so the wheeled Cav units I don't have experience with. Seems they may've had Tows instead of tanks so 11Hs. The big Army may've pulled mortar sections to the squadron level like we were in Infantry battalions & farmed out to the companies or platoons or such as need.

Check.

Trying to figure this cord out. Thanks!

Looks Maroon, if so the Medical Corps, branch colors being Maroon primary color, White secondary color.

post-20483-0-17077000-1488996623.jpg

• 2 months later...
seanmc1114

Yellow cord worn by a member of the 68th Armor. But note that even though he is wearing leadership tabs with his DUI, he has Ordnance Corps branch insignia.

post-1761-0-42013300-1495456008.jpg

post-1761-0-76091300-1495456020.jpeg

Yellow cord worn by a member of the 68th Armor. But note that even though he is wearing leadership tabs with his DUI, he has Ordnance Corps branch insignia.

He's probably a Section leader or maybe even a Platoon Sergeant in either a HQ Platoon of a line company or in the Maintenance Platoon of the Battalion HHC.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a bright red and bright blue shoulder cord? I didn't see that combination in this thread. He was an Army Officer/Pilot in Vietnam. Thanks.

How about a bright red and bright blue shoulder cord? I didn't see that combination in this thread. He was an Army Officer/Pilot in Vietnam. Thanks.

It wouldn't be a Branch color rope. Maybe he was in ROTC before commissioning, and this was his ROTC rope??

This probably wont help much but I also have his M65 Field coat dated DSA100-68. It has sewn captain bars on the shoulders, A subdued 1st Signal Corps patch and a subdued 3rd Armored Spearhead patch. I was told he was a pilot but now I have my doubts. Also got his black, toe capped Corcoran boots. Thanks for thinking about this.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I came across these two fouragerre in a grouping and have not figured out the lighter colored example. The first I think is the French version with an early ww1 unit insignia. Hadn't noticed the insignia before this thread mentioned them and was excited to see that! The 18th I believe was entitled to wear the Belgian fouragerre as well but the only examples in this thread seem to be red and green? Any help on this one?

post-25673-0-42907100-1505459127.jpg

post-25673-0-93329600-1505459138.jpg

post-25673-0-38828400-1505459150_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Infantry cord and collar discs worn with Infantry branch insignia by an NCO assigned to the Army's Medical Command. My understanding of the regulations regarding the distinctive items authorized for infantry is that they are only worn while assigned to an infantry unit. I can't make out the DUI, but are there any infantry units assigned to the Medical Command? I'm not sure what unit is represented by the flag in the background, but it is clearly a medical unit.

post-1761-0-70921100-1506533278_thumb.jpg