Anyone know what this bomb is?

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Been working on the book and I've come across a strange munition that I haven't been able to find in the TM 9-1980 or 9-1900 at all. This pic was taken on a 324th FG P-47 in March 1945 in Southern France. The weapon is reminiscent of a depth bomb or cluster munition, but I can't find anything specifically with this nose and tail configuration. It looks to be in the 1000lb class, but no bigger. My first thought was a 650lb Mk29 depth bomb, but the fin configuration is all wrong.

There's one on each pylon, but since I don't own the photo, I can't post the whole thing.

Thanks!

Jon

post-5470-1303497646.jpg

Everything I've got says a P-47 could only handle 500 pounds per pylon. That being said, I can match this up with a 100 Napalm, except that I'm not sure how much of that we used in France in '45 and the fins don't look right. May not be American.

Cobrahistorian
Everything I've got says a P-47 could only handle 500 pounds per pylon. That being said, I can match this up with a 100 Napalm, except that I'm not sure how much of that we used in France in '45 and the fins don't look right. May not be American.

Jugs could handle a 1000lber on each pylon and a 500lber on the centerline. I've got a couple pics of them configured with two thousand-pound weapons. Napalm tanks in the MTO were the 110gal metal tanks (kinda look like big 75 gallon teardrop aux tanks). The 57th FG was the first unit to drop Napalm in the ETO/MTO and were doing so in late October 1944. It was used widely in the MTO and I've got lots of photos of 110s being carried.

This one's got me stumped. It may not be American, could be British, I guess, but the supply train where the 324th was located was exclusively US munitions at that point. Had it been in Italy, there would be more of a chance of a British weapon being used, but in Southern France, even the French were using US equipment and munitions.

Jon

Jon, I think this might be an M-17A1 Cluster, Aimable, Incendiary Bomb- it looks just like the one in TM 9-1980 "Bombs For Aircraft" The kicker for me is the series of bands and flat nose. Hope this helps, Mark

Cobrahistorian

Mark,

Yeah, the flat nose is throwing me too. I agree, it could definitely be an M17A1.