Lets see some USMC swords!

PVON

For my first posting of a pic!

Lets see some of those beautiful USMC swords!

First up, WW2 beauty!

Then a English made one!post-263-1167873015.jpg

PVON

post-263-1167873084.jpg

Nice swords,

here is mine , i would say from the 80's.

collection470el8.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pic, but this was one of my first shots with my old cam a few years ago.

Regards,

Stephan

Beautiful!! I need to grab some of these to compliment my other sabers. I had missed a real beauty on Ebay about a year ago. Belonged to a LT. Col during WW2..total provenace, came with photos, etc. Sold for about $700. I should' grabbed her crying.gif

DevilDan1900

Hello Gents,

Some beautiful sabers for sure. I'll have to look through my photo archives. A while back I had teh opportunity to handle and photograph 2 time Medal of Honor winner Sgt. Maj. Daniel Daly's NCO saber. It was in poor condition but just the fact that it was his gave it a whole diferent lever of reverance. I'll see if I can find the photos.

• 1 year later...
Guest R. Hoq
For my first posting of a pic!

Lets see some of those beautiful USMC swords!

First up, WW2 beauty!

Then a English made one!post-263-1167873015.jpg

PVON

If it says "London Made" and it has a serial number on the back edge, then it may come from Wilkinson Sword. Check under the guard, near the ricasso.... it should say "Wilkinson Sword" and on the other side "Hilborn-Hamburger." Hilborn-Hamburger was Wilkinson's official importer during the 40's and 50's. In fact, you could get the exact date of manufacture using the serial number.

Nice swords.....I have a NCO (maybe late 50's early 60's) Soligen made coming in Monday. I'll take a few pics and add them then. Anybody have a list of certified makers and respective periods? majority of my refference materials are all Third reich edged weapons?

Mike B.

Here is a sword that belonged to a marine that served in ww2

with the first Marine Raider battalion. Albert A.Komiski. Stayed

in the corps till 1963. I picked up alot of his stuff, medals, dogtags,

Photo album, Kabar and sword. He last served with the 6th Marine

Regiment. The scabbard has engraving.Says. FROM SNCO'S 3D BN 6TH

MAR. Maybe a presentation sword ? The blade is engraved GYSGT

A.A. KOMISKI. He most likely recieved the sword towards the end of his career.

Erich

post-514-1207264353.jpg

Well it actually arrivied on time.....so here it is. The Marine I got this from acquired it in 1964. It is a Soligen blade (WKC I assume) and was had a mm Newtel Inc. , Miami . Its a 32 inch blade so the guy had to be 6 ft. tall or more I believe. It also has the "proved" stamp inside of one of the stars. This is my first picture download here....and not the best pics either...lol. I'll take better ones later.

post-2886-1207616932.jpg

Guest R. Hoq
Nice swords.....I have a NCO (maybe late 50's early 60's) Soligen made coming in Monday. I'll take a few pics and add them then. Anybody have a list of certified makers and respective periods? majority of my refference materials are all Third reich edged weapons?

Mike B.

I've been researching USMC sword manufacturers myself and I can give some detailed info on current makers (80's to present... this is when it became more commonplace for manufacturers to stamp their own blades rather than allow the importers to hog all the credit). As far as I know, post WWII to the 70's, all USMC swords were imported from either Solingen Germany, Toledo Spain, a handful from Taiwan, a fewer from Japan, and fewer still from London England. The English makers (Wilkinson Sword) and the Japanese (I can't recall the name at the moment) actually stamped/etched/engraved their names on the blade (on the ricasso). The German makers (usually WKC, Eickhorn, Horster) sometimes did this. In most cases, the only makers marks were the American importers name (Hilborn-Hamburger, Gemsco, etc.) , and the origin of manufacture. Also, somewhere around the 1960's (I think), the Marine Corps began stamping approval numbers on the blades in order to ensure strict conformity with regards to design and especially etch pattern (which makes them even harder to tell makers apart). Prior to WWII, there were more sword cutlers around, including American ones such Lilley-Ames and Horstmann (but even Horstmann imported their blades from Solingen), but I'm still trying to compile a list. I hope this helps...

Here is mine... I own it for 25+ years

NS Meyer NY Marked on Ricasso

Red -Golden USMC knot was added on a later stage.

Any information on ROBERT C. HICKS will be gratefully welcomed

dnhrmf.jpg

2ake0ds.jpg

21jam2e.jpg

osseia.jpg

Teufelhund

The Ricasso is etched :

"Trade Defender Mark" in one block and NS Meyer INC NY on the left side of the ricasso.

On the right side, the star of David

The blade is also engraved " GERMANY" on the edge , near the guard

Teufelhund

I have the USMC sword of Capt. Daniel Wilder Kent. It has "usmc serial no. 323, made in Germany and imported by Hilborn-Hamburger. He was KIA on 1-24-68 in Quang Tri, SVN. He was with Bravo company, 3rd Tanks, 3rd Division. He is named on the WAll, panel 35E, Row 023. It is an honor to have this sword in my collection. A dark brown or cordovan, braided, sword knot is attached.

• 6 months later...
Still-A-Marine

I'm new to this forum but thought I should add my swords to this post. This is my M1840 USMC NCO sword. The blade has dark spots but it's still pretty cool. It does have the USMC etching on the blade. Bill 10/12/08

post-4347-1223813787.jpg

post-4347-1223813803.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is a sword I just received and would like any info you can give me on when it was made. I was thinking maybe the 60's? It is maker marked H&H one side and made in E U stainless on the other? Was this sword made in England? Any info would be great.

post-8929-1261593736.jpg