recondo pocket patches

patches

according the patches book by barry stein, you know that big fat book with every possiable patch in usa. the 8th div recondo patch began to be worn in 1963. question: true? my own dialog on item is that there seem,s to be abit of confusion regarding this patch ,you will note that it has the word pathfinder on it , i got in to a lively debate with a vendor from who i bought a subdued late 60s tpye from. he told me that it was worn by pathfinders in the div i said no ,that it is a standard award for individuel officers and men who attened and graduate frm the divisonal recondo school,it has nothing to do with pathfinders .those guys are trained at ft benning ga and do not attend additional pathfinder schools overseas ( not since the 1950s at any rate). iwas trying to tell him that pathfinder is one of two of the divisions nicknames. the other being the golden arrow.he kept saying stuff about the paratroopers in the divisiopn, isaid paratrooperswhere among the few groups to wear them for sure but others mostly infantrymen which what alot of the paratroopers where wore them,plus proabley troops from div,s cav recon sqd and a smattering of artillery and combat engineers. one guy i know who is a vietnam combat artillery officer vet and who was assigned to the div after his tour in vietnam attened the course the claims that one of his classmate,s was a military policeman a staff/ sergant also a nam vet. any way i have a chance to get a full coulor version from iguy who lives on my block he,s not a collector or anything he just had it when he was a kid he showed me apiture of his brother holding it way back in 1972 and it is a varient, with a yellow arrow i.e. golden in steins book its a white arrow.he swears he has it he,s just has to find it when he finds it it,s mine. any way can some one get to me and give any feed back on my essay and also tell me on which pocket it was worn on.

You are correct. "Pathfinder" or "Pathfinders" is a nickname for the 8th Infantry Division. The Pathfinder that is on the patch does not indicate qualification within that specialty, but refers to the name of the division.

As I recall, I saw a number of non-Airborne Mech Infantry troops wearing that patch back in the early 1980's.

You are correct. "Pathfinder" or "Pathfinders" is a nickname for the 8th Infantry Division. The Pathfinder that is on the patch does not indicate qualification within that specialty, but refers to the name of the division.

As I recall, I saw a number of non-Airborne Mech Infantry troops wearing that patch back in the early 1980's.

thanks for looking in. a have but two questions regarding this patch 1. did the the ware of patch start in 1963, as according to barry steins patch book . if you are familar with this book ,a great refrance book albeit filled with inacurate time lines in many cases,it may began to be worn earlier. 2. on what pocket was it worn L/R. please do get back .

Proud Kraut

@patches: Collecting, among other things, 8th Infantry Division patch variants, I wonder what you'll find out here conserning the time of wear of the recondo patches.

I BELIVE to remember seeing a picture with the recondo patch worn on the right breast pocket, but can't prove it at the moment. I'm wrecking my brain, where I have seen the photograph. I keep on searching.

The recon patches pictured below are from a tailor in Bad Kreuznach, where I found the last remaining ones some time ago. These seem to be made in the 1970's or1980's.

If you find the golden arrow variant I would like to see it depicted here (if you'll find two of those, please keep one for me). I think the patch you are talking about is depicted here:

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http...20Inf%20Div.htm

Greetings from the Baumholder area

Lars

Pathfinder.jpg

@patches: Collecting, among other things, 8th Infantry Division patch variants, I wonder what you'll find out here conserning the time of wear of the recondo patches.

I BELIVE to remember seeing a picture with the recondo patch worn on the right breast pocket, but can't prove it at the moment. I'm wrecking my brain, where I have seen the photograph. I keep on searching.

The recon patches pictured below are from a tailor in Bad Kreuznach, where I found the last remaining ones some time ago. These seem to be made in the 1970's or1980's.

If you find the golden arrow variant I would like to see it depicted here (if you'll find two of those, please keep one for me). I think the patch you are talking about is depicted here:

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http...20Inf%20Div.htm

Greetings from the Baumholder area

Lars

vielen dank. ich bin sehr dankbar.

• 1 year later...

Photo that apears to be from the 70's 0r 80's showing a soldier of Company A 2nd Battalion 68th Armor wearing what looks like a metal 8th Division Recondo badge on his dress greens

http://unitpages.military.com/unitpages/unit.do?id=719776

Hair and "stash" on this 68th Armor Troop would date the photo some where between 1969 - 1976

Hair and "stash" on this 68th Armor Troop would date the photo some where between 1969 - 1976

I don't know 468, it is around that time, but I would go a little later since he ain't got no National Defense Service Medal, If he was in from say even earlier like 1968, he would have the ribbon, the cut off date for the NDSM is August 1974.

So I would say as he is in this photo a E-4, one taken into 1975 to the very early 80s, like 1980-81 at the lastest, but before the introduction of the Army Service Ribbon and Army Overseas Ribbon, both that came out at the around same time, in April 1981, August 1981 respectively, though we didn't wear the Army Service Ribbon till such a time as when the Army Overseas Ribbon was available for purchase and wear. As far as the hair and mustashe, I do recall guys with this look in 80-81.

I don't know 468, it is around that time, but I would go a little later since he ain't got no National Defense Service Medal, If he was in from say even earlier like 1968, he would have the ribbon, the cut off date for the NDSM is August 1974.

So I would say as he is in this photo a E-4, one taken into 1975 to the very early 80s, like 1980-81 at the lastest, but before the introduction of the Army Service Ribbon and Army Overseas Ribbon, both that came out at the around same time, in April 1981, August 1981 respectively, though we didn't wear the Army Service Ribbon till such a time as when the Army Overseas Ribbon was available for purchase and wear. As far as the hair and mustashe, I do recall guys with this look in 80-81.

Additionally, the shirt looks like the Army Green shade 415 that I believe was introduced around 1979 and not the older khaki version that was worn until then. But my eyes could be wrong.

I was under the impression that it was around 1976 -77 that the Army really started to tighten up on hair regs, that's all I was going by. As for the ribbons, this young troop is missing a PUC next to the NUC so he could also be missing his NDSM.

@468, nah, one could still see longish hair in them days, like me :D though I couldn't grow a mustache if my life depended on it, i did have longishish hair, it was a look called by lifers as the Stoner Look, ( no I didn't smoke weed :lol: ) it was not cut on the top and parted in the center. In those days in 80-81, some Blacks still had Afros, the trick was to "Pack" the hair down at night, using a piece of Panty Hose, so on duty the hair was close to the scalp, off duty, they would "pick it out", you would see them literally with small Afros. I recall in those days Memo constantly being read by our Top, or posted in the Company areas reminding personel to trim sideburns and mustashes.

Don't know why he has no Army PUC, it is confusing, the official list for this unit gives only the Navy PUC for the 778th Ampib tractor Bn, true two companies of the 68th Tank Battalion, 6th Armored Division were awarded PUCs, Co A, and Co B, perhaps the guy was in C Co, it says A Co he was in though, odd, but to me that wouldn't really mean he forgot to put his NDSM Ribbon on his uniform.

Photo that apears to be from the 70's 0r 80's showing a soldier of Company A 2nd Battalion 68th Armor wearing what looks like a metal 8th Division Recondo badge on his dress greens

http://unitpages.military.com/unitpages/unit.do?id=719776

I would be curious to see what that 8th Div. metal badge was for. It appears to be a tree. Recondo badges or patches (almost) always have the arrow pointing down. Any ideas anyone??

Mitch

Mitch, 8th Inf Div Recondo Arrowheads are worn point up, see post #4 of this topic, this does not of course pertain to all Recondo Arrowheads. On this one it is just stylelised as a Flint or Stone Arrowhead, and shows the rough surface a real flint or stone arrowhead has, take a close look at it and you'll see what we mean.

As to what it is, it is a metal copy of this cloth badge, probably worn only on the Class A uniform, though a Pocket hanger type was also used with the Class A uniform, what's a pocket hanger you ask? It the Cloth patch incased in clear plastic, with a cloth or leather fob, that's buttoned under the pocket flap of the Class A coat or Khaki Shirt, and it hangs below the pocket flap.

post-34986-0-01646400-1366688577.jpgpost-34986-0-25729100-1366688649.jpg

• 5 months later...

What you have is the 8th Inf. Div. Pathfinder Professional Badge! It's not an Army Award only worn with in the Div. It's Awarded by an 06 or above Commander. (Bde. Commander) It's awarded as a Certificate, You had to buy the Badge and or the Patches Out of pocket.

The second award is a Certificate of Achievement.

post-133208-0-66604100-1380112818.jpg

post-133208-0-17101500-1380112859.jpg

• 11 months later...

Great photo- the 1st Sergeant is also wearing a Navy PUC!

Allan

The Navy PUC was awarded to his current unit of assignment in the photounit - 68th Armored Regiment - for actions by one of its predecessors in lineage - the 773rd Amphibian Tractor Battalion - on Saipan and Tinian during WWII.