Wing Badge

atb

I've had a Command Pilot wing badge for a couple of years now and am wondering what a pin back, Blackington, sterling insignia like this might now be going for on the market.

I've had a Command Pilot wing badge for a couple of years now and am wondering what a pin back, Blackington, sterling insignia like this might now be going for on the market.

A lot.... thumbsup.gif

I concur with Paul. A nice hallmarked (Sterling by Blackinton) 3 inch command pilot wing would likely get well over 500$ on eBay.

Post some pictures and let us drool....

Patrick

post-943-1191597130.jpgI hope this clear enough. The other marking not shown on this image is the word "STERLING." My photo equipment could be described as a bit crude. I will be posting images of some other wings of which I'd like some idea of current "value."

Howdy,

Not the hallmark I expected to see. I expected the Sterling by Blackinton hallmark. However, I have seen other wings (and have some in my collection) that have VHB, and VH Blackinton, and just plain Blackinton. Sometimes you even seewings that are clearly of the Blackinton pattern but not hallmarked. In fact, a few years ago in California, a bunch of Transcontinental and Western Airlines wings (worn from 1935-150 or so) came out of the woodwork. I ended up buying about 15 of them (a silver dealer had found them in old silver scrap metal). They all had wonderful detail and most were only marked sterling. However, a few had VHB, or VH Blackinton or Sterling by Blackinton hallmarks as well. So, clearly, the wings could be marked in multiple ways.

A friend of mine has a very similar command pilot wing, but I can not recall what the hallmark is on that wing. I do recall that the command wreath and star had been added to the wing as seperate pieces.

Patrick

The font used seems to be different then the one I have seen but then it may be the photo since it has been reduced so it is not very clear. May I suggest you take a photo straight down in natural light without a flash.

What size in pixels is the photo when you take it from the camera?

John

• 10 months later...
IMPERIAL QUEST
post-943-1191597130.jpgI hope this clear enough. The other marking not shown on this image is the word "STERLING." My photo equipment could be described as a bit crude. I will be posting images of some other wings of which I'd like some idea of current "value."

I know...an old thread but I have a question/observation. If you look at the lower edge of the wing in the photo, it looks as if this is the result of a poorly cast piece (looks like two pieces of metal sandwiched together). I am not trying to be critical and I hope the owner doesn't take it that way, I am trying to learn. Is this a characteristic one could expect to see from this maker? I have yet to see this on any other wings that I have studied to this point.

Hi Steve,

I believe the softness you see to be a artifact of the poor quality of the photograph. If it indeed looks like you think when it is in your hand then that would indicate a fake. As far as the hallmark is concerned, this particular mark I have seen most often on rank insignia though it was also on a cap badge as well.

Cheers

Gary

I know...an old thread but I have a question/observation. If you look at the lower edge of the wing in the photo, it looks as if this is the result of a poorly cast piece (looks like two pieces of metal sandwiched together). I am not trying to be critical and I hope the owner doesn't take it that way, I am trying to learn. Is this a characteristic one could expect to see from this maker? I have yet to see this on any other wings that I have studied to this point.