ERDL Body Armor CM and ICM

Nkomo

Arch,

Can you take a better picture of the label, it's too fuzzy to really read.

I will do that later today. :thumbsup:

I would be interested in reading that, the development of equipment and tactics over the years is interesting. You can see here ideas being discussed that took nearly 30 years to become standard issue. Would be good to approach this in a rapid prototyping way, not unlike software development. Speed the development process up and get more real user input. We call it user centred design (UCD) in my business.

here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xw6akuoi8kn5gbe/smalarms.pdf

that's an interesting document, pretty much everyone wanting the AR15/M16 for the missions that are undertaking. I have often read about the mythology of the M14 and the Marines love of it, this paints a different picture. Good rifle but not the one for the job they were being asked to do.

There must be documents like this for all aspects of issue kit, helmets, camo, equipment. Anyone know of a source?

USMC ERDL BODY ARMOR. This thread made me want to post some pics of this vest as well and see if anyone here can shed some light. It is the only one I have seen like this and I have not found any info. Owen played with it a couple of weeks ago and drew a blank as well. The vest is essentially a USMC version of the Army's Vietnam Era Variable Body Armor. It actually uses the same front plate. The set has grommets and sewn sleeves around the bottom so you can hang gear with either M1910 hooks or M-56 / Alice clips. There are also rope ridges on the shoulders. The back has a small pouch that is either a plate carrier (though I have not seen a plate that would fit, and the tag says front plate) or a small day pack type area. The material is a coarse nylon in ERDL print and it is 1971 dated. Teh tag reads: Body Armor Fragmentation Small Arms Protective Vest with Front Plate (Marine Corps)

ERDL%20Armor%201.JPG

ERDL%20Armor%202.JPG

ERDL%20Armor%203.JPG

i think craig once posted scans from a usmc magazine showing the then new 1967 usmc pack system.if i recall correctly the picture of a marine ditching the m67 pack is wearing a camouflage body armor that could be the one Momil just posted.

craig_pickrall

Arch, I finally got back to my main computer where all my info is stored. I think this is the finished version of the vest you show. It was released as standard B in 1978. It is not the same as the PABST vest.

post-5-1303413095.jpg

post-5-1303413106.jpg

Thanks for the link. The info from Keystone is great and puts it into perspective. Really cool to see it being worn and to see what gear it was paired with. Thanks again.

Very interesting vests. After reading these posts, I had to pull out my PASGT vests to make sure they were PASGT. They are. Still now when I see a PASGT, I'll have to take a closer look at it.

Thanks for posting everyone.

I thought it was interesting that the wearing instructions said to wear it over the shirt but under the field jacket.

Now that you mention it, I looked back at all my Army vests from the 1952A through the PASGT and they all say on the label to wear under the field jacket. Even in the booklets that come with them they say the same. However, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever wear them like that. We always just wore it over the jackets as as the outermost item under our LCE/LBV.

• 1 month later...

Nkomo found the "standard B" body armor...here's not the early model, "standard A" ;

body%2060.jpg

(This picture come from internet - I saved this)

• 4 months later...
Still now when I see a PASGT, I'll have to take a closer look at it.

A wise piece of advice for everyone. Always look through everything. Found this in a pile of PASGT vests at a local army surplus store today. I use the term "surplus store" loosely as their inventory is maybe .01% genuine surplus. It is the same type of vest posted by Momil, but this is the "Type I" as opposed to his "Type II".

Front and rear views:

post-3045-1317692557.jpg

post-3045-1317692569.jpg

Front pocket (which is secured by hook-and-loop fastener tape) with DO NOT DROP stamped on it.

post-3045-1317693442.jpg

Upper left shoulder with raised "lip", which is allegedly to prevent a rifle butt from slipping of the shoulder. This part of the shoulder (the green fabric) is backed by hook-and-loop fastener tape. It does not appear that this can be used for adjustment purposes. It, combined with the web with snap fasteners at the top, appear to be some type of quick-release device.

post-3045-1317693458.jpg

The vest with individual equipment items attached. Below the upper shoulders is sewn a piece of heavy webbing (on both sides). It is tunneled to accept items with dual belt-strap keepers. These could also be considered "grenade loops" as those, along with items like a flashlight, can also be attached.

post-3045-1317693785.jpg

Along with bottom of the entire vest is sewn heavy webbing that has tunneled portions placed throughout it. Items like small arms ammunition cases, water canteen covers, first aid kit cases, etc. can be attached. On either side, at the bottom of the webbing, are eyelets to attach items like the bayonet-knife scabbard.

post-3045-1317693794.jpg

The rear pocuh which is secured by hook-and-pile fastener tape.

post-3045-1317694635.jpg

The possible quick-release device.

post-3045-1317694644.jpg

The side adjustment panels. They have hook-and-pile fastener tape for securing closed. The vest can be adjusted by the elastic cord (like other vests of the time period).

post-3045-1317694731.jpg

Close up of the nomenclature and contract information (1971) on the label. The label indicates this vest is the Type I, whereas the vest Momil posted is labeled as Type II.

post-3045-1317695623.jpg

The image from the June 1971 issue of Leatherneck (originally posted by Keystone in the thread referenced by taucco) which shows the trial vest:

post-3045-1317695658.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am very sorry to bump this old thread but i have no other way of contacting the OP! I have the exact same armor vest as you and i have been wondering for years just what it is. I knew it was PASGT, but i couldnt figure out just what pattern of camo was on it. I knew it wasn't US woodland, as it had no tan in the pattern. Then I went on to see if it was some old Canadian camo pattern. The reason I wondered if it was an old Canadian pattern is because I live in B.C. Canada and this vest (along with a full matching uniform and an M1 helmet with matching cover) came from the local military base that my dad teaches at. After finding nothing online or around the base that matched up to anything Canada fielded I came to the conclusion it wasn't anything we used. Then i finally remembered where i had seen this camo pattern before, and realised that it's ERDL. My vest matches yours almost exactly, and its the the only other one online i have ever seen. It's great that i found out what it is and the history behind it thanks to you guys. What a fascinating piece of kit i stumbled across, and to think i had originally assumed it was just an uncommon woodland pattern PASGT vest, but i guess not lol. I'll post a few pictures on here of mine later on. Thanks guys.

Hello, I am very sorry to bump this old thread but i have no other way of contacting the OP! I have the exact same armor vest as you and i have been wondering for years just what it is. I knew it was PASGT, but i couldnt figure out just what pattern of camo was on it. I knew it wasn't US woodland, as it had no tan in the pattern. Then I went on to see if it was some old Canadian camo pattern. The reason I wondered if it was an old Canadian pattern is because I live in B.C. Canada and this vest (along with a full matching uniform and an M1 helmet with matching cover) came from the local military base that my dad teaches at. After finding nothing online or around the base that matched up to anything Canada fielded I came to the conclusion it wasn't anything we used. Then i finally remembered where i had seen this camo pattern before, and realised that it's ERDL. My vest matches yours almost exactly, and its the the only other one online i have ever seen. It's great that i found out what it is and the history behind it thanks to you guys. What a fascinating piece of kit i stumbled across, and to think i had originally assumed it was just an uncommon woodland pattern PASGT vest, but i guess not lol. I'll post a few pictures on here of mine later on. Thanks guys.

No worries about commenting on an old post. I would love see your vest.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...