Correct equipment for WW2 pistol belt?

Mustang5l5

RustyCanteen

While that is more or less correct about SP duty(don't forget a club could be authorized), think the OP was asking about what a "generalized" navy belt would be, hence the reason I referred to the SP & duty belts as special. So it's up to the poster to decide just what he want's his belt to represent a landing party member, a shipboard sailor or an SP.

Don't forget the navy received a large shipment of M1911A1's circa 1939 well before US entry into WWII, so while the majority of arms would be of the older model they did in fact have some newer arms. (Much as it is overlooked that the USMC had M1's before 1942).

Thanks for tue response everyone.

Just to clarify, when I talked about making the mag pouch match, I didn't necessarily mean color. The belt, holster and canteen I have now are relatively worm, dirty and broken in...obviously used.

The mag holder I have is unissued and bright khaki. So it sticks out more because it's fresh and new. I really don't want to go rub it in the dirt to make it's wear look even, so I'd rather buy a "matched" pouch in terms of usage.

But thanks for the ideas. I'll prob stick with holster, mag pouch and canteen. I am using a fake 1911 in the display, but want to pick up actual ww2 magazines and fit in some spent casings with new bullets as dummy blanks. Trying to keep it as period as I can short of putting a real 1911 and ammo out.

craig_pickrall
I seem to recall there being a diagram in the soldiers handbook showing a basic set up of belt without suspenders, sidearm and holster, ammunition pouch, first aid dressing in pouch and canteen set.

I think this maybe the picture you are thinking of.

post-5-1303352144.jpg

RustyCanteen

Craig, it always interested me that the "artist" who drew that put the mag pouch on the end opposite of the snap! :huh:

Craig, it always interested me that the "artist" who drew that put the mag pouch on the end opposite of the snap! :huh:

He was an "artist" indeed.

Hi!

I think the "artist" after all put the magazine pouch on the right place of the belt. I would say that is the magazine pouch button which is on the wrong side of the belt, near the male part of the buckle, while it would be near the female part... Or not?

Fausto

Hi!

I think the "artist" after all put the magazine pouch on the right place of the belt. I would say that is the magazine pouch button which is on the wrong side of the belt, near the male part of the buckle, while it would be near the female part... Or not?

Fausto

Yes, it is. He shouldn't have placed the snap on the male side of the buckle cause this is the adjustable end of the belt.

craig_pickrall

You can't even blame that error on lousy wartime artists. The drawing was first used pre-war. What do you think, should we dock him a days pay? That would probably be somewhere around $2.00.

RustyCanteen

I agree the snap is on the wrong end like Arturo and Fausto pointed out.

I almost wonder if the snap was added to the illustration as an afterthought.

• 1 month later...

Just to update.

Ended up going with this setup.

DSC00155.jpg

Obviously, It's not it in the case. Haven't found a good one yet.

So kinda going for the "hanging up the belt after the war is over" theme. I don't like the mag pouch. Like I said, it's an unissued 1918 mag pouch. The rest of the rig is "used" which is what I want, but the pouch looks too clean and fresh. Short of rolling in the dirt with it which I don't want to do, I guess I'll try to dig up a 1942 dated pouch which is what the belt and holster are. Might take the insignia out too.

The magazine is ww2-issue. I just need one more and maybe load the with period ammo if I can find some. The 1911 is fake...for now.

Planning on adding some other stuff as well. But just taking pics to get an idea.

craig_pickrall

There isn't anything wrong with the WW1 Mag Pouch. They must have made a gazillion of them because they were on the surplus market for years as well as in use by the military. You see them in Vietnam photos as well as Korea and WW2.

There isn't anything wrong with the WW1 Mag Pouch. They must have made a gazillion of them because they were on the surplus market for years as well as in use by the military. You see them in Vietnam photos as well as Korea and WW2.

This one is a little odd.

It's brand spanking new, but has been modified. It's not sewn down the middle at all, so instead of 2 separate pouches inside, it's just 1. Also it has a small repair.

It's as if whoever had it wanted 1 large pouch and not two separate pouches, so they removed the center sewn seam, ripped it up a bit, and repaired it.

I'll get some pics of it later tonight. Personally, i don't like the modifications. Another reason why i'd like to use a different one.

craig_pickrall

There has been discussion here before concerning mag pouches with the center seam removed. It was reported that this modification was done to create a compass pouch.

I suspect it has dyed somehow by information in this thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2151

Just the front side is blackened. The inside of the flat and backside are natural color. you can clearly see the front has a covering somehow on the front side as there are clearly defined "borders"

It's a boyt 42. I got it with the belt for $20.