Army Officer Service Caps

ghost

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the pillbox cap was being mentioned in a USMC thread, so I figured I'd put this one here. Finally, after a couple of years of searching, this arrived today: a Model 1895 Federal Service Forage Cap...also known as the Pillbox Cap. This one was made by WMH Horstman with a contract date of November 29, 1897. For those that saw the auction, the chinstrap is loose, and, since it displays nicely, I will leave it as such. I've actually been after one of these to go along with a family member's SAW photo.

Ken

post-99-1171999959.jpg

post-99-1171999971.jpg

post-99-1171999981.jpg

post-99-1171999992.jpg

How about some WWI US Army Service caps?

1st Photo- Enlisted mens' Service Cap

2nd Photo- Officers' Service Cap

3rd Photo- Pre WWI soldier with Service cap, garrison belt, M1907 leggings, M1905 Bayonet in leather scabbard, and M1903 Springfield. Is anybody able to ID the insignia on the Cap?

post-599-1172059939.jpg

post-599-1172059956.jpg

post-599-1172059975.jpg

• 4 months later...

De Pinna a common maker? I placed paper on the inside to help it gain it's original shape. Any suggestions on a better material? Visor has original size tag, and owner's card, with name and branch. I looked up the name in the archives but the ranks failed to match.

DEAD LINK 1/16/15

doinworkinvans

I'm thinking this may be him!!! The rank still leaves questions!!!

Field Title Value Meaning

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 15087223 15087223

NAME FINNEY#JAMES#H########## FINNEY#JAMES#H##########

RESIDENCE: STATE 53 OHIO

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 057 GREENE

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 5242 FT THOMAS NEWPORT KENTUCKY

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 22 22

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 12 12

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 41 41

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private

GRADE: CODE 8 Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION AC# Air Corps

BRANCH: CODE 20 Air Corps

FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life

NATIVITY 53 OHIO

YEAR OF BIRTH 18 18

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 6 2 years of college

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 316 AUTOMOBILE SERVICEMAN

MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 6 Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of the United States under Army Regulations 605-10

CARD NUMBER # #

BOX NUMBER 0182 0182

FILM REEL NUMBER 2.39# 2.39#

John Cooper

Here is a nice one - photo is a bit washed out due to the flash...

DEAD LINK 1/16/15

doinworkinvans

John Cooper

Here is the sweet part (as some of you know I am a fan) a beautiful BALFOUR eagle.

DEAD LINK 1/16/15

doinworkinvans

Here is some info I found out about the "De Pinna"

Company.

Founded in 1885, De Pinna was primarily a men's shop located on New York City's Fifth Avenue. They also sold menswear-inspired clothing for women that was finely tailored. In the early 1950s, De Pinna was bought by the Washington, DC store, Julius Garfinckle & Co. At that time, Garfinckle's expanded their ladies' wear offerings. Store was built in 1927.

http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/content/view/164/121/

• 8 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Heres one ID'ed to 2nd Lt Joseph B Yuryan, 456th Bomb Group, 744th Squadron. He was a POW from 16 Dec 1944- 13 July 1945. This is his hat from flight school.

Here is his name.

attachicon.gifattachment

Has anyone seen govt stamping like this? It is stamped Cap, Service Avation Cadet type II

attachicon.gifattachment

I am new to this group. I am wondering if the Member ID #100 Jim2 can contact me via email at [email protected]. I would like to get the Officer Cap that was issued to Joseph B Yuryan who was a B24J pilot in WW2. He is now 98 years old and lives in the town next to me. I stopped and saw him the other day. I would love to get his hat back to him. His copilot was killed by flak and the entire crew bailed out at 1235am on 12/16/44 over chech.

• 11 months later...

Here's an officer cap converted from an EM cap. The officers band is sewn on kind of crudely. I'm looking for a chinstrap for this one, if anyone has a spare.

attachicon.gifEM_conve...ff_Visor.jpg

I know that this is a very old post. But, were there many EM caps converted into Officers caps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I see this is an old post - I am Joe's daughter. I sort of doubt that he would want his cap back. He had one that he gave me about 20 years ago.