NY Times Article on US WW1 Monuments in France

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

See the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/travel/30footsteps.html .

This is an article in today's Times by, I think, one of the travel writers that gives a pretty good overview of what is to be seen there today. One interesting fact was the comment that the Normandy area gets many times the visitors that the WW1 areas get. Worth reading.

Charlie Flick

An excellent article. I had the honor of visiting many of these places in 2000 with Military Historical Tours of Virginia tour of the Battlefields of the USMC in WWI. Anybody with an interest in WWI history should try to get to these parts of France. You will surely come away with a deep sense of patriotism and sadness. The maintenance of these cemeteries is beyond belief. Walking through the wheatfield and into the woods of the Bois de Belleau and up the slope at Blanc Mont was truly an experience that I will never forget.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

This is a superby writen aritcle w/ equally will done informational links. One I went to has an incredible data base of burial listings for...

• Those interred at the American World War I and World War II cemeteries overseas.
  • The Missing in Action from World War I and World War II who are memorialized on Tablets of the Missing within the cemeteries and on three memorials in the U.S.
  • Those killed worldwide during the Korean War.
  • War dead and veterans of the Mexican War, Civil War and Spanish-American War who are buried at the ABMC cemeteries in Corozal, Panama and Mexico City.

http://www.abmc.gov/wardead/index.php