Help with Insignia on M1917

LMJR

Hello All,

This is my first post here and I was hoping someone could help me with identification of this insignia. I did have a copy of Painted Steel and could not find it there. I also went through the pinned thread here and could not find anything similar. Besides the insignia on front, there is a white stripe near the top. I was told once that it could have been for occupation duty but I could not verify this. With the white stripe I was thinking maybe some type of civil defense use, not that I have seen any like it, but just a guess. My photo skills are not the best and the insignia is not that clear. Anyone know or have a best guess?

Thanks,

Lee

post-33821-1303056793.jpg

Sgt. Boghots

GLM,

'fraid that one has me puzzeled at the moment too, but it looks like a nice helmet :thumbsup:

I'll do some diggin' through photos and see what I come up with.

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

The insignia is rather hard to make out. Here's something I've done in the past with heavily faded painted insignia like this: Spray some water on it, while it's still wet and without the flash, take a picture of the insignia. For some reason, the water tends to intensify the colors making the insignia easier to see. Once it dries, it looks like it does now and has done no harm to the helmet. Just a thought.

Thanks Paul. I appreciate the effort. I have owned it for a number of years now and has always been somewhat of a mystery to me.

Bugme, that certainly sounds like a good approach. I’ll give that a try this weekend and hopefully can post better results.

Lee

Sgt. Boghots

Hi Lee,

I wonder if by chance it's a variation of the A.E.F. Siberia insignia . . . :think:

I keep trying to make an "S" out of the light colored design in the middle, but I'm unable to tell if the darker portion could be some rendition of the Bear ?

And a further strectch of the imagination is that the white ring around the crown refers to the Arctic Circle which was actually well north, but the winters were brutal enough . . .

Again, these are wild speculations on my part.

Scott's suggestion of the moisture sounds like a great idea.

I'll be interested in what develops.

Best regards,

Paul

I am interested in hearing theories or answers too.

And since there is some speculation with the insignia, does anyone else see what appears to be a bird of some sort? Facing to the right side of the lid as we look at it, with the rear to the left? I see the lower body, with an elongated neck, curved neck..

4db4543b.jpg

Sgt. Boghots
I am interested in hearing theories or answers too.

And since there is some speculation with the insignia, does anyone else see what appears to be a bird of some sort? Facing to the right side of the lid as we look at it, with the rear to the left? I see the lower body, with an elongated neck, curved neck..

. . . good spot !! - Now that you point it out, kinda like a pelican ?

Paul

. . . good spot !! - Now that you point it out, kinda like a pelican ?

Paul

Paul, that or some sort of goose? Or, we could be doing nothing more that creating shapes in the clouds :lol:

Heres what im seeing after inhaling some paint fumes.... :blink: ...mike

pelican.jpg

OK, I can now see your drawing but, where's the pelican?

Sgt. Boghots
OK, I can now see your drawing but, where's the pelican?

Scott,

Mike's outline pretty well nails the part of the white painting I was seeing as a possible pelican; elongated beak with it's bill to the right and it's wings folded along it's body with the tail to the left.

Here on the shores of Klamath Lake, it's a familiar sight. There are dozens of them in a similar resting position tonight, not a mile from our home . . .

Right now I've got to run to the store and pick up another tube of airplane glue. Maybe an hour from now, even more of the painting will become clear to me ! :lol:

Best regards,

Paul

Leatherwringer

I think your pelican is an Eagle and the whole thing is a EGA

I can see the anchor and globe....

maby it is a PGA....pelican,globe and anchor :D

Sgt. Boghots

Lee, any luck with the moisture test yet ? - I'll be curious to hear.

Now "PGA", that's a good one :lol:

At least when I thought it MIGHT be some rendition of the A.E.F Siberian design, I felt encouraged. Right now I would have no clue whatsoever if it turns out to be a pelican . . .

Afraid I can't go the EGA route either, at this time.

Hey, it's a fun topic and a GREAT HELMET as far as I'm concerned.

Best regards,

Paul

post-6057-1303274157.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

was'nt there a ww1 patch that had a pelican on it, railway artillary reserve and railway artillary have some sought if bird on it's patches, also the 39th div just thinking out loud. maybe?

teufelhunde.ret
I think your pelican is an Eagle and the whole thing is a EGA

I've seen ALLOT of EGA insignia & painted design's thru the years, and not seeing it here... :think:

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Looks like an Ozzlefinch, which was the symbol of the Railway Artillery Reserve. The Ozzlefinch flew backwards and had several other interesting characteristics. Looking at it, if it is RAR, the design is different than any I've seen. Usually there are railroad tracks around the bird in a horseshoe shape and the letters RAR found in the design. The bird outline does resemble an Ozzlefinch though.

John

Lee, any luck with the moisture test yet ? - I'll be curious to hear.

Not yet Paul. I won’t have a chance to take photos until this weekend. I will try and pull it out this evening and have a quick look and see if I can make anything out. I had not noticed the bird until you pointed it out. You guys have got me real curious now. Thanks again to everyone for the input/ideas.

Lee

Here are some new photos. Really did not come out that well. I played with the contrast/brightness some. It does look like a pelican, but it could just be an illusion. The part that looks like the long beak, could just be a continuation of the outer white circle? Hard to say, but the rear portion of the head could just be a mar? I did wipe it down pretty good and what looks like the head is still there. All of this would not explain what looks like the body. It is all pretty faint, including the white stripe around the top. On the left (wearer right), it also looks like there is a very faint second stripe below the first, but appears to just be on a small portion of that side and not all the way around. I am afraid the photos may just result in more questions than answers. I appreciate everyone’s input and time on this.

Thanks,

Lee

post-33821-1303667950.jpg