How To Rebuild a Knife

DSchlagan

Cliff,

Thanks for posting that. I enjoy seeing those theatre knives.

I've got one (of three) from an "Uncle" that his Dad made for him during WWII. I'll post it in a new thread.

Regards,

Don.

Jack's Son

Don,

The knife is too beautiful for words.

Thank you for the kind PM, and YES......I will accept the knife as a gift!! :blush:

This thread has been a pleasure! :thumbsup:

JS,

Thanks!

Don't forget to include the USPS MO with lots of "Plus '1' ZEROS" for that "GIFT"!! ;)

post-21709-1305945178.jpg

Kind Regards,

Don.

Chunky Monkey

WOW that is absolutely beautiful!! Great job ~ you should make those for a living. :twothumbup:

You have some real talent. That is awesome. Now we need to find a bunch of military blades with worthless handles and see what else you can come up with!

Absolutely outstanding! It's obvious that you put a lot of thought into your design, end result being one beautiful and truly unique piece of art. That's one Catt that'll never get lost in a crowd...thanks for sharing it.

Thanks much to all for the kind comments!

Best Regards,

Don.

WOW! Sorry I'm late! Just caught back up. The wife had surgery on 2 May, up at Walter Reed. She's recuperating, and is "hogging" the computer' playing some video game. Don, what a beautiful job you have done! I never would have imagined that deer antlers could look so great on a knuckle knife. Fantastic! Thanks for showing your progress. SKIP

Don,

Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. It's down right inspiring to see how the project progressed. A great interpretation for a classic blade.

:thumbsup:

SKIP,

I trust that your wife is doing well.

Thanks to all for the interest and kind comments!

Regards,

Don.

Don-Thanks for the concern. She's doing great! Just spends way too much time on the computer. Got a guy at work who's been making knives about 4 years, he's gonna love checking out yours, and the way you showed progression. THX SKIP

islandhopper

Fantastic knife. What a job! As others have said, thank you for posting throughout the project. And as others have said, it isn't just a knife but a work of art.

Don

I agree your knife is a fine piece of art.Simply outstanding detail and workmanship.Just goes to show what can be done with some planning and skill.

RD

Thanks to all for the inspiration and kind comments. It is much appreciated! It has been a pleasure to build this knife and to share it's progress.

Kind Regards,

Don.

post-21709-1305947014.jpg

Don,

When you mated the back strap and choil to the rest of the brass how did you make the seam disappear? :think:

After very carefully fitting the brass parts, they were soldered together. To get those seams to actually "disappear", past that point, required a meticulous sanding and buff.

One of the most challenging aspects of building this, was carefully considering the assembly progression so that things would flow together.

If I had permanently fixed the ricasso guard (or blade), without completely finishing the adjacent areas, then it would have been most difficult to clean up.

It meant putting it together and taking it apart more times than I can remember.

Here is a photo after it was double-pinned and soldered:

post-21709-1306335638.jpg