DSchlagan

DSchlagan

Ron,

Your kindness is much appreciated!

Regards,

Don.

islandhopper
islandhopper,

Thanks much for your interest and thoughtful comments!

Be sure to post some photos of your "Q" knife after it is secured.

I'm sure that we would all like to see it!

Regards,

Don.

Will do. And looking forward to more of your posts.

DSchlagan

Here is some progress from today.

The "split-grip" is now more apparent.

The left side brass spacer is blending pretty well into the bench, between the left side grips. It has had the two main edges profiled.

post-21709-1304475513.jpg

The reason for leaving all that "extra" brass at the pommel should now becoming more clear.

I believe that keeping the "crown" portion of the antler, intact as possible, really adds a lot of beauty.

For that matter, I limit machining to keep the entire antler as naturally appearing as can be.

post-21709-1304475582.jpg

post-21709-1304475845.jpg

DSchlagan

The front right grip panel has been fitted, profiled, and contoured. The front left (photo top left) has also been. The right rear has just been end-cut fitted.

That brass spacer is by no means just decorative. It will serve to add much strength to the finished assembly.

post-21709-1304475902.jpg

Ricasso guard drilled for pinning. It must be drilled prior to fixing blade; no way to do it after.

This project is in some ways like a jigsaw puzzle; it requires placing the pieces in a very specific arrangement, while maintaining a very attentive order as to progression.

post-21709-1304476159.jpg

Regards,

Don.

Jack's Son

MODERATORS, Please pin this thread!!

This has to be saved for all interested members to see and study!!

DSchlagan

Here is today's photo journal:

It is beginning to take, more towards, finished form. Lots of detail to still tend to...

post-21709-1304650492.jpg

All grip panels have been rough profiled/contoured. Will work through several progressive grits of sanding, then three grades of buffing.

post-21709-1304650629.jpg

Another neat aspect of using shedd antlers is that the extreme base is there to work with, as well as the "crown". That base will buff out like glass, and has attributes/appearance very similar to ivory.

A great place for a little scrimshaw?! :think: ;)

post-21709-1304650989.jpg

DSchlagan

Still contemplating exact final design of ricasso guard.

post-21709-1304651197.jpg

Haven't decided whether I prefer the saturation effect of the flash, or the more subdued of, without.

They both have their positive aspects.

[i did notice that the photos taken with active flash have considerable more data in them, than those without.]

post-21709-1304651341.jpg

Note the structural significance of the pinned brass spacer, as well as aesthetics.

That center pin will go right through the tang.

post-21709-1304651530.jpg

DSchlagan

I spent considerable time adjusting the angles of the 'rear grips to brass spacer', in the desire to maximize resulting "crown".

post-21709-1304652150.jpg

post-21709-1304652285.jpg

Later (top view) photos will show that the area at pommel (original crown's "bases") to be lined up, as close to original, as they were before splitting.

I employed a similar modified skull-cracker pommel, as I have designed/built for other "crown stag" handled knives.

post-21709-1304653572.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion/request to pin this JS, and to the MOD who made it happen. Truly Appreciated!

Regards,

Don.

Old Marine

Don, that is great work. Watching your progress is fascinating, that's going to be a real beauty. Thanks for posting the photos and letting us peek over your shoulder.

Thanks

Dennis

Jack's Son

Don,

I'm happy that they pinned the thread.

I really believe it is going to impress members for years to come!!

:thumbsup: JS

Don,

I'm happy that they pinned the thread.

I really believe it is going to impress members for years to come!!

:thumbsup: JS

Me two.

The progess is amazing.

DSchlagan

Thanks much to all for the kind thoughts and inspiration!

Best Regards,

Don.

p2tharizo

I just stumbled on this thread-absolutely awesome! I can't wait for more. I have to ask, what is it you do for a living? Because, it should be making custom knives! I had an M3 with a destroyed handle that I didn't have the time/money/talent to do anything with, I will now be on the look out for junk handled quality knives-you're an inspiration! :thumbsup:

Don

You may have created a second job for yourself...custom knife maker. :thumbsup:

Taking orders in the near future???

RD

DSchlagan
I just stumbled on this thread-absolutely awesome! I can't wait for more. I have to ask, what is it you do for a living? Because, it should be making custom knives!...

p2tharizo,

Thanks much for the kindness conveyed!

I have had a finish carpentry and custom cabinetry business for the past 35 years. Of that, I am semi-retired from.

With a real fascination of edged weapons from an early age, I began making a few knives, from my own designs, during my late teens.

In the last few years, I have had the opportunity to rekindle my passion for designing and building knives.

Don

You may have created a second job for yourself...custom knife maker. :thumbsup:

Taking orders in the near future???

RD

Ron,

Yes, I would consider accepting orders.

Thanks to all for your interest and inspiration! It is truly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Don.

Thanks much for the kindness conveyed!

I have had a finish carpentry and custom cabinetry business for the past 35 years. Of that, I am semi-retired from.

With a real fascination of edged weapons from an early age, I began making a few knives, from my own designs, during my late teens.

In the last few years, I have had the opportunity to rekindle my passion for designing and building knives.

Ron,

Yes, I would consider accepting orders.

Thanks to all for your interest and inspiration! It is truly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Don.

Don

Im sure you will have a full mail box of customers.I too have always had an intrests but never have taken the plunge.A retired Navy/Coast Guard man here use to build knives and I had him do a couple pomel replacements once.He set up at all the shows and normally just built knives from pre-made blanks.He wasnt doing well health wise and wanted to sell his equipment and supplies.A friend of mine bought a lot of it prior to his passing.One of those I should have momnets as Geoff would have gladly took the time to show me a few tricks.

Here is a knife I drew out years ago as I wanted a custom made knife.I had met a maker at a local gunshow and he was just getting into the bussiness.We struck up a conversation and I told him kinda what I wanted.He said send a drawinf and he would make it happnen but it may take a while.I told him I was in no hurry.Six months later he was at the show and pulled out the finnhised product.He was a little embarrased as he said it was the first one he had ever done and it may not be as I expected.I was impressed and told him so.He admitted he was making a few others as guys has seen this develope in his workshop.He asked if I minded and I said no as I have the first!!He did a great job in my opinion and the handle was a little short but he wasnt able to compare it to my hand when he made it and we talked about these points.Great guy to work with.I havent seen him for several years.Anyway heres the knife.Hope its ok to add to your post

Keep the pictures coming!!!

RON

post-342-1304865273.jpg

DSchlagan

Ron,

Thanks for sharing the photo and the story relating to your custom knife. That is a very cool dagger! :thumbsup:

A real nice design, and I like that you also added the M1910 wire hook to the sheath.

Best Regards,

Don.

P.S. Developing a well defined centerline and corresponding blade symmetry, when grinding a dagger blade, represents a considerable extra challenge. ...Which the fellow who made your knife did a remarkably fine job at!

Ron,

Thanks for sharing the photo and the story relating to your custom knife. That is a very cool dagger! :thumbsup:

A real nice design, and I like that you also added the M1910 wire hook to the sheath.

Best Regards,

Don.

P.S. Developing a well defined centerline and corresponding blade symmetry, when grinding a dagger blade, represents a considerable extra challenge. ...Which the fellow who made your knife did a remarkably fine job at!

Thanks Don

The knife was the first one he had ever done of this type and I think it turned out well.If I recall I think he made it out of 5160 spring steel??/ben to long to remember all the little details.I should look him up sometime and see if he is still making knives.

RD

Jack's Son
.............I should look him up sometime and see if he is still making knives.

RD

Wait a minute RD!!!! :o

First you pimp Don into taking orders, then you bail on him and go elsewhere?? :P

What's this world coming too?? :crying:

Looks like a great looking knife coming up!

Just coincidentally, I happened to be looking through Cole IV last week and stumbled on a note of a guy named Don Miestrell who made a knuckle knife out of a Catt 225 blade. He ground his down into a dagger blade. It is on page 144.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff!

If you can post a scan of that referenced knife, it would be neat to see.

I believe that a M3 style (full and half edge) blade design, would also look very cool on one of these.

I should have completed photos available, in the next few days.

Regards,

Don.