I very recently obtained this beautiful Cattaraugus 225Q blade:

post-21709-1303011827.jpg

Ricasso:

post-21709-1303011972.jpg

Pretty, ain't it?

Now for the other "Half":

post-21709-1303012597.jpg

Kinda sad, huh?

Somebody ground off the peen, and stripped-off the entire hilt assembly; scattered to points unknown.

Why?

The buddy who gave it to me, mentioned something along the lines of jungle rotted leather washer grip.

I really don't fully understand that, as the tang is about as clean as it was when made.

Besides that, the sheath looks quite reasonable; the leather is in decent shape:

post-21709-1303013162.jpg

post-21709-1303013655.jpg

Don,

All is not lost, there are resources available to rebuild your handle.

The blade is in fairly good shape, and if you're are going to use it for a display, a new handle may be fine.

Some of the guys will have more suggestions as well.

Do you currently have other Q knives ?

Now for my question:

What to do with it?

Should I:

A.) Rebuild it to original appearance, and hang it on the wall with the rest of my collection? (And marking it in such a manner as to make it clear that it is not original.)

Or:

B.) Get a little creative, and make it into a unique piece?

I've studied it for a few days now, and have a few ideas on the latter.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Don

Nice clean bladeYou could go either way.Leather washers or a custom stag grip or even a theatre tyoe grip usung the plexiglass and alumium type handle.Something in poured aluminum would be unusual too.

Good luck

RON.

JS,

Thanks for your interest.

Apologies for the delay in posting/response.

Between slow typing/editing, I have a dinosaur dial-up ISP which makes uploads a yawn.

I don't currently have any other Q knives.

It really is a decent blade (that half ;) , anyway). Likely 90+%.

It has only been carefully sharpened; and even at that, only minimally.

I had originally been just considering a restore towards original.

Then today had the thoughts of how cool it would look if I made brass fittings with a horn/antler handle.

Regards,

Don.

I would think that a little polishing of your blade will also help the appearance. As you have said, the knife is in good structural shape, and a new handle could be fashioned out of anything.

If you want to keep it in the proper time frame, you can refer to several pictures of theater knives of WWII. If you would rather bring out a different time period or style, then stage horn or shell or even a nice piece of a tree branch could make a very nice alternative look.

Good luck, I'm sure we will all like to see the work in progress!!

JS

Ron,

Excellent thoughts!!

Hadn't even considered the plexiglass and alumium type handle.

And I've been really wanting to get into making a knuckle knife, besides. That would look really swell with a set of poured knuckles on it, huh? :thumbsup:

Thanks much,

Don.

11thcavsniper

Since it will be a rebuild either way, a custom Handle of your choice would be nice. It would be a lot harder taking a complete knife that is in this condition and removing the handle to customize. Your already 1/2 way there. L.T.

JS,

I'll be sure to bring it back up to a mirror buff, when complete!!

These new cameras seem to pick up stuff one wouldn't notice unless wearing a lens.

The one thing that I did find interesting was those regularly spaced, longitudinal lines that appear quite well in the first photo posted. Meaning that this blade was actually thickness (tolerance) ground; which is quite surprising based on production terms.

Heck, even the mirror finish is surprising; (and not real field-friendly, either).

I believe that Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. wanted these to be very high-end.

Thanks much,

Don.

L.T.

Yes, it would have been much an easier decision to take a rather mundane hunk of blade and modifying it.

Almost abhorrent to consider a hilt removal to something in such a fine (original) condition.

And, as you said, "Your already 1/2 way there."

I believe we're over the pin; on towards custom. :thumbsup:

Thanks much,

Don.

I really like the "theater" idea and why not a knuckle with that stout blade. Start collecting those pop cans.

:thumbsup:

I believe that Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. wanted these to be very high-end.

Thanks much,

Don.

Don,

I agree 100%, the blade on mine is like a mirror, and the handle is perfect.

I shutter to think of the cost of one of these "production" knives today. :pinch:

PS-Knowing the "whole" story of your knife, makes your thread title all the more fun!! :lol:

JS,

From your first comment: "Did you acquire the handle too??? May we see it as well? ;)" ; I could tell you were 'on to it'.

Though, I've really been looking forward to: "Knowing the "whole" story of your knife, makes your thread title all the more fun!! :lol: " ; as I did have 'grammar check' on, during my rather crude stab at a pun. ;):lol:

P.S. I have the blade tilted up at the base of my monitor, at present; he's been gleefully listening to all your suggestions and comments with the anticipation of being a real knife again! :)

Don,

I have been waiting for others to join the fun, but alas......I couldn't let such talent go unnoticed!! :thumbsup: :w00t:

(If you pay attention to my posts, the vast majority try to find the humor in any subject.)

(If you pay attention to my posts, the vast majority try to find the humor in any subject.)

JS,

I'm with you on that!! :thumbsup:

I need to get a shield for my monitor, for occasions when I come across those posts that cause me to spit coffee all over it; in one of those true LOL moments! :w00t:

(Really have a few times!)

Thanks,

Don.

Though I normally do my designs with pencil and paper, I took this opportunity to brush-up on my digital artwork.

Thanks to those whose photo might have been used as a base.

This might give a rough idea of various hilt styles:

post-21709-1303071681.jpg

Your input is welcome; suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Don.

There is something vaguely familiar about those knives, just give me "half" a minute to figure it out. :think:

In that group of pictures, only "C" should move to the next round. It's the only handle that fits the blade.

There is something vaguely familiar about those knives, just give me "half" a minute to figure it out. :think:

Yet another LOL moment. :thumbsup:

In that group of pictures, only "C" should move to the next round. It's the only handle that fits the blade.

Thanks, and noted.

[i don't want to sway the voting pool with [i]my[/i] opinions, just yet... "Vote early and vote often!"]

Do keep in mind, that because of my extraordinarily pedestrian digital art skills, that the scale observed in those 'cut-n-pastes' will be quite different when encountering the real world of finished perspectives.

Yeah, I stare at them a lot... :blink: :ermm:

I really like the "theater" idea and why not a knuckle with that stout blade. Start collecting those pop cans.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for your posting, sactroop! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the amount of pop that I drink in a year might make an ingot of aluminum about the size of a half-dollar.

Wait a minute, there's always beer cans... ;)

Well, I do have this hefty chunk of 1/4" brass plate that has volunteered to be the modified "D" guard for this knuckler:

post-21709-1303164592.jpg

His little brother, in the form of the 1/8" piece (top of tang) will keep 'em tight.

Well, I was going to wait a little while to post the design, but I still have a few surprises in mind.

Keeping in mind that these photos span a few hours, (from above post); the reference to "Modified 'D' " becomes apparent.

post-21709-1303164629.jpg

With a radical design, it's nice to have the full-size template to check out:

post-21709-1303165186.jpg

It handles well:

post-21709-1303165392.jpg

Yeah, I 'sharpened' one side of the template. :)

I've got a one-of-a-kind wooden knife for the collection!

Thanks all, for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

Your input is welcome; suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Don.