The Official Military Movie Props Association Collection

sprprops

Since you guys really want to see this 'stuff' LOL. I will start this thread. I started collecting military movie props after my father gave me the VHS copy of 'Saving Private Ryan' back around 1999. I enjoyed the film and began collecting WWII military related items and then props as well. It started with a rubber bayonet and I haven't looked back. I have been collecting these props for over 10 years and I specialize in SPR prop authentication. I am a member of the United Movie Collectors Guild. The prices have been very sporadic over the years so I would like to share what this stuff is worth as well from what I have seen them sell for over the past decade.

This collection is a passion of mine, I didn't start it in the hopes I would sell it and get rich, its a labor of love. :thumbsup:

If you have any military movie props or wardrobe please post them up and share too.

Thanks,

Chris

post-20509-1303003527.jpg

Brian Dentino

Now this is what I was hoping to see Chris. Can we get close-ups and more detailed pics of some of the stuff? On watching these movies, esp. SPR both before and after I started collecting (yes, I am still a newbie compared to many out there!) I have always admired the SPR and BoB items for their detail to authenticity.....at least MOST of the time. (Still not sure that a Ranger Capt. would have carried a Thompson that Hanks did in SPR rather than a carbine, but hey.....its Hollywood right?)

Thanks for sharing these unique items and hope that you can share lots more of them, with cool detailed pics as time allows. :thumbsup:

Now this is what I was hoping to see Chris. Can we get close-ups and more detailed pics of some of the stuff? On watching these movies, esp. SPR both before and after I started collecting (yes, I am still a newbie compared to many out there!) I have always admired the SPR and BoB items for their detail to authenticity.....at least MOST of the time. (Still not sure that a Ranger Capt. would have carried a Thompson that Hanks did in SPR rather than a carbine, but hey.....its Hollywood right?)

Thanks for sharing these unique items and hope that you can share lots more of them, with cool detailed pics as time allows. :thumbsup:

More detailed pics on the way, im taking them now LOL. A lot of reenacting groups bash the repro SPR and BOB stuff because its not authentic. In a lot of cases they nailed it right on! I will get into the pros and cons in this thread and what to look out for, :thumbsup:

Here is my first entry into this promise-showing thread:

I already had plenty of Marine 3-pocket Utility Coats, but I grabbed this one for one reason (continued in the next post)...

post-3226-1303068387.jpeg

The reason:

post-3226-1303068457.jpeg

You gotta wonder what war movies this Coat "saw action" in, as well as its actual military history. :think:

Repro gas mask bags. These were produced specifically for the production of 'Saving Private Ryan' and are decent repros. Value $25-$50 depending upon condition. I have two, one in near mint condition and one that must have been floating in the water for some time as the straps are blood soaked and all the fittings have corrosion.

post-20509-1303068633.jpg

post-20509-1303068669.jpg

I have very mixed feelings about this stuff. I'm British and, as you know, SPR and later BoB were produced over here. Many of my collector friends were involved in various capacities in their production. However...from a collector's point of view, the production of props for these movies opened the repro flood-gates, the effect of which we are still feeling today. I clearly recall being ankle-deep in ex SPR and BoB props at various British collectors' fairs after the studios sold them off as surplus. Everything from rubber Garands to 70s M-1 helmets re-done as WW2 types, plus musettes, '41 jackets, boots and field gear etc. etc. Collectors fell upon them, particularly re-enactors, because it provided an alternative to having to wear/use real WW2 gear...and I do understand that. In fact, I have a complete wardrobe marked re-enforced M42 jumpsuit and HBTs myself, bought as souvenirs, not to wear. However, years later, some dealers are still selling "genuine ex SPR whatever"...almost always with "Certificate of authenticity" (usually spurious, of course!) Since then, cheap, sub-standard repros are everywhere which, in my humble opinion, have only served to de-value the hobby somewhat...not to mention the unsuspecting buyers who have unwittingly paid good money for such stuff passed off as "original". Just my 2%.....

Sabrejet

Here is my first entry into this promise-showing thread:

I already had plenty of Marine 3-pocket Utility Coats, but I grabbed this one for one reason (continued in the next post)...

post-3226-1303068387.jpeg

Based on the photos and stamping I would say its an old movie costume, much older than Windtalkers, Flags of our Fathers, and The Pacific.

I have very mixed feelings about this stuff. I'm British and, as you know, SPR and later BoB were produced over here. Many of my collector friends were involved in various capacities in their production. However...from a collector's point of view, the production of props for these movies opened the repro flood-gates, the effect of which we are still feeling today. I clearly recall being ankle-deep in ex SPR and BoB props at various British collectors' fairs after the studios sold them off as surplus. Everything from rubber Garands to 70s M-1 helmets re-done as WW2 types, plus musettes, '41 jackets, boots and field gear etc. etc. Collectors fell upon them, particularly re-enactors, because it provided an alternative to having to wear/use real WW2 gear...and I do understand that. In fact, I have a complete wardrobe marked re-enforced M42 jumpsuit and HBTs myself, bought as souvenirs, not to wear. However, years later, some dealers are still selling "genuine sx SPR whatever"...almost always with "Certificate of authenticity" (usually spurious, of course!) Since then, cheap, sub-standard repros are everywhere which, in my humble opinion, have only served to de-value the hobby somewhat...not to mention the unsuspecting buyers who have unwittingly paid good money for such stuff passed off as "original". Just my 2%.....

Sabrejet

I understand completely and there are mixed feelings about what this stuff and the movies themselves have done to the hobby. Most of the stuff I acquired because i couldnt find an original example and If I wanted a repro I would get a repro that had some sort of significance. Stuff originally sold off did not have COAs so be careful of those. If you arm yourself with the knowledge you cannot be duped by this ex movie stuff. Hopefully what I post here will help pick them out from the rest.

Chris

Based on the photos and stamping I would say its an old movie costume, much older than Windtalkers, Flags of our Fathers, and The Pacific.

Right...after the War, movie studios secured large lots of surplus for use in costuming; in the '80s and early '90s Paramount turned loose of a bunch of their old stuff- much of which was in mint condition. I have a pair of M1944 Marine camo Trousers with a Paramount stamp on the inside, but don't have any close-ups yet.

I'm surprised you say say you couldn't find originals. Apart from an assault vest (the Holy Grail) I have original examples of everything you have on your SPR mannequin which I acquired years ago with relative ease, here in the UK. It's still out there, though prices will have appreciated somewhat!

Sabrejet

I'm surprised you say say you couldn't find originals. Apart from an assault vest (the Holy Grail) I have original examples of everything you have on your SPR mannequin which I acquired years ago with relative ease, here in the UK. It's still out there, though prices will have appreciated somewhat!

Sabrejet

I have acquired over the years originals of just about everything on the mannequin except for an original M41, assault vest, gas brassard, and boots.

Assault Vest. These repros were made by SM Wholesale for 'Saving Private Ryan'. They were expensive and time consuming to produce for the film so only about 500 were ordered for production in OD7 and OD3. Notice the fading, SM Wholesale had a huge problem with the stuff they were making for the production as they didn't set they dyes properly and they faded quite badly in some cases. Value $60-$200 depending upon condition. This one has typical fading, corrosion, and slight blood staining. These were not stamped with anything so you have to know what you are looking for.

DSC02408abc.jpg

DSC02412abc.jpg

DSC02413abc.jpg

DSC02415abc.jpg

DSC02418abc.jpg

DSC02420abc.jpg

Flotation Belt. Of the 3 that I have only two were used in the production of 'Saving Private Ryan' The costume department acquired many original belts for the film and made some prop ones out of foam rubber. Both types were used. Value $50-$150 depending upon condition. These also didn't get stamped, but one of the ones I have was which is unusual.

DSC02399abc.jpg

DSC02403abc.jpg

DSC02405abc.jpg

To clarify the rest of my posts:

Grade A: Best grade of materials, nice for close up camera shots, worn by main actors in most cases.

Grade B: Decent to poor grade materials, mainly used for extras, background, and stuntmen.

Also their are two different types of SPR stamps, and no others. There is a big one and a small one. The small one is the same size and font as the ACAD stamps. There is not rhyme or reason to the stamping but from what I have seen HBTs recieved the SPR stamp where most wools had the ACAD stamp unless it was original WWII. M41s recieved both stamps depending upon who was assemblying them. Helmets also recieved both depending upon who painted them.

M1937 Wool Shirt. Mostly reproduction wool uniforms were made by Academy Costumes for the production but original WWII wool uniforms were mixed in. This one is original WWII and SPR stamped with the small one. It could be considered Grade A. Value $20-$50 Depending upon grade and condition.

DSC02437abc.jpg

DSC02439abc.jpg

HBT's The Grade A HBT's were made 'in house' for the production using heavy HBT material. They feature gas flaps and the front buttons are closer together. Grade A HBT pants have a sewn in gas flap and the pockets are higher up on the thigh. All the main cast that wore HBTs except SGT Horvath wore Grade A HBT's. They also didnt fade like the Grade B HBT's. Value $50-$65ea.

DSC02429abc.jpg

DSC02433abc.jpg

DSC02441abc.jpg

DSC02443abc.jpg

DSC02445abc.jpg

DSC02447abc.jpg

Grade B HBT's were made by SM Wholesale using thin HBT material. Their stuff faded very easily and they also tried to cut corners by not including the gas flap on some shirts. Value $20-$40ea.

DSC02492abc.jpg

DSC02496abc.jpg

DSC02499abc.jpg

DSC02500abc.jpg

DSC02501abc.jpg

DSC02503abc.jpg