Navy CPO Uniform Questions

QED4

I don't normally collect Navy stuff but have been getting interest in it lately but still have a lot to learn. I picked up a CPO's black sack coat yesterday and there are some things I need clarified, it is dated 1954 and has the embroidered stripes. Just when did they start to use the embroidered stripes rather than the applied ones. Also there is a vertical slot on the left side that is closed with a buttoned flap, it appears to be an opening for a sword sling but did Petty Officers wear swords? It could be a converted officer's uniform but shouldn't the slot be horizontal for the sling to come out? Dose anyone know of a good reference on ALL Navy specialty marks with the dates they were used. There are plenty of references on the ones used during WWII and the Navy website show the current ones but I would like one reference that also shows the ones that have come and gone since WWII.

The embroidered ratings or stripes started to become common in the early 50's. Apparently some were produced during ww2, but they are rather rare.

CPO's finally made the switch to officer pattern coats with 6 buttons officially in 1949. The previous CPO coats had 8 buttons which were slightly smaller than the officer's size, although some did start to wear the officer coats at the end of the war.

It was very common for them to purchase officer's coats as they are exactly the same.

CB

collectsmedals

Chief Petty Officers in the U.S. Navy carry cutlasses not swords.

If you post a picture of the uniform I can most likely tell you what the rating is.

There is an excellent book on Navy distinguishing and speciality marks by John Stacey. I don't have my copy with me right now, but check out the ASMIC website & see if you can track down a source for that book thru them. Better yet, join ASMIC and you have access to all sorts of reference books and I believe Stacey's Naval & USMC insignia books are included.

Hope this helps some.

I don't normally collect Navy stuff but have been getting interest in it lately but still have a lot to learn. I picked up a CPO's black sack coat yesterday and there are some things I need clarified, it is dated 1954 and has the embroidered stripes. Just when did they start to use the embroidered stripes rather than the applied ones. Also there is a vertical slot on the left side that is closed with a buttoned flap, it appears to be an opening for a sword sling but did Petty Officers wear swords? It could be a converted officer's uniform but shouldn't the slot be horizontal for the sling to come out? Dose anyone know of a good reference on ALL Navy specialty marks with the dates they were used. There are plenty of references on the ones used during WWII and the Navy website show the current ones but I would like one reference that also shows the ones that have come and gone since WWII.

ASMIC often runs e-bay auctions for John Stacey's excellent book. If they do not start an auction in the next week or so, contact me, I have an extra copy.

I'll be glad to identify any Navy speciality marks in the mean time...

-dan