RT-834 Vietnam Radio set

Gary Cain

I picked this set up this last saturday and have been cleaning and checking all the various parts out. I hope to get it up and running in the next few days!

Gary

post-96-1191436885.jpg

I picked this set up this last saturday and have been cleaning and checking all the various parts out. I hope to get it up and running in the next few days!

Gary

post-96-1191436910.jpg

Charlie Flick

Gary:

That is a cool piece of gear. Educate me on this one, please. Is it supposed to be a vehicle mounted radio? If you get it running is there anyone on those frequencies now, or is the military still using those same frequencies. Is it tough to get parts for it?

Thanks for the post.

Charlie

Gary:

That is a cool piece of gear. Educate me on this one, please. Is it supposed to be a vehicle mounted radio? If you get it running is there anyone on those frequencies now, or is the military still using those same frequencies. Is it tough to get parts for it?

Thanks for the post.

Charlie

This is a high powered solid state (i.e. transistors) radio that works on what is called the HF frequencies, which is also known as "shortwave." HF was used for long range communications and on a good day a set like this could communicate to a station several thousand miles away although in normal operation it was not used of such long range. This can be used by licensed amateur radio operators ("hams") on their authorized frequency bands in the shortwave spectrum. These first came out in 1967 and I suspect they were one of the earliest such solid state units since tube radios were still common in the 60's. These are vehicle radios, including jeeps. I'll bet that a full set like this with antenna, receiver, transmitter, etyc. in working condition could easily be worth $1,000-2,000.

As a teenage ham radio operator in the 60's I used old military aircraft HF radios, as well as some desktop military units that weighed close to 100 pounds.

Hi Charlie,

Forum Support gave a real good brief description but I'll give you a little more info on the set. They were indeed used forground or vehicle set ups and are very expensive when you can find them, this set is worth between 1800 and 2200 depending on who is selling. Parts are still fairly available and there are manuals available(I am waiting on the operators and maintenance manuals right now), some of the accessories are a little harder to obtain though.

The transciever itself has 280,000 frequencies (in 100 Hz units) that you can use if you are licensed but they are still military frequencies. Additionally it will go into the AM range and you can also transmit on CW(Continuous Wave-telegraphy) range is variable, the Army listing 20 miles via ground wave and 80+ via skywave with an output of 200 watts.

Cheers

Gary

Gary:

Thanks for the post.

Charlie

The transciever itself has 280,000 frequencies (in 100 Hz units) that you can use if you are licensed but they are still military frequencies.

It does work on the non-military frequencies including the ham bands so if you get a ham license you can use it: there is no license that will allow a private citizen (even a ham) to use it on military frequencies except for hams who belong to the Military Affiliate Radio System - MARS. I was MARS member when I was a ham many years ago and we used to get first dibs on lots of surplus military radio equipment. I got a teletype machine and a receiver and transmitter through them.