Local Heritage Days Display

Brian Keith

Here is a small display we did for our local Heritage Days at the Historical Society. I knew I wasn't going to be able to man the exhibit, but would be close by, so we only brought out our Hotchkiss 1.65 Mountain Howitzer and our M1917 Ammunition Cart with a couple of accessories.

post-1549-1191424046.jpg

post-1549-1191424069.jpg

From my (sometimes faulty) memory:

U.S. Hotchkiss 1.65 Inch Mountain Howitzer, Adopted about 1876, used against Native Americans (AKA Indians) Prominently used in the “Battle of Wounded Knee”. Still in service during the Spanish-American War and used then. Many were acquired by Bannerman and sold in the 1930’s. Our example has been slightly altered so it will fire 10ga shotgun shells. Winchester 10ga black powder blanks are quite impressive!

BKW

Hello Jeeper704,

No, We don't fire it with "live" ammo, just the 10 ga. blanks. For me, that's enough excitement. With the alteration, it may not be safe to fire, other than blanks. We should be doing some fireing in a couple of weeks in Hartford City, IN for Civil War Days, maybe I can get some photo's. As a museum fundraiser, we "sell" shots on the cannon for $5, lots of people take avantage of it.

Lee, thanks for the info and the thumbs up, We didn't have to work very hard to do this display. I worked a few hours on the labels and the event was less than a mile from our museum so it wasn't hard to transport the artifacts. M1840 to about 1876, 36 years, pretty good run for a weapon!

BKW

Brian, thanks for your answer. thumbsup.gif

It would be nice seeing some photos from the "Civil War Days".

Just watched a documentary about Gettysburg a few days ago.

Erwin

Good Idea,

There is usually a good turnout and battle with usually about 5or 6 artillery pieces. Ours is in a display area as it is not correct for Civil War, we just do a Museum of the Soldier Display.

FYI it is in Hartford City, IN on Oct. 12-13-14.

BKW