Clark Gable's WW2 Officers Coat At Auction

matterhorn

Browsing through the Profiles in History Hollywood auction catalog, I saw they are auctioning off one of Clark Gables Tailor Made Officers coat. The item is lot #1556 in auction #44 being held on May 14 and May 15. The estimate is $3000 to $5000. The website for the auction house is: http://profilesinhistory.com/hollywood-mem...ilia-auction-44.

And for those who will say this post is useless without pictures, the pictures cannot be copied from the catalog.

kyhistorian01

I was able to download the catalouge, save small images and convert them, so here are photos of Gables Uniform. it is expected to bring 3000 - 5000 according to the catalouge. It has an english made 8th AF patch, bullion air crew wings and insignia and has a tailor lablel named to Gable. According to the catalouge it was made for him just after his return from the ETO, has some sloight fadeing, is mising all pocket buttons and has had the front buttons replaces with plain buttons.

Nice uniform to a celebrity who served in WWII, but I couldn't afford it at this point in my life. i hope it finds a good home.

Robert

post-6492-1302790119.jpg

post-6492-1302790137.jpg

Here's a slightly larger screenshot - this is not the only celebrity uniform in the catalog:

gable1.jpg

gable2.jpg

donald.jpg

How much would Donald's coat and hat bring? :rolleyes:

All I know is that under don't ask-don't tell he'd have to wear pants.

I'd love to have that in my collection!

The material looks rather odd though...almost like a lightweight wool that they'd use for a khaki uniform. I'm also curious about the ribbons on it...he tops out at an AM, but should have a DFC and PH, right?

Before I dropped the money for it, I'd like to see some provenance first...I'm not doubting it's his, but there are questions that should be answered first.

Dave

vintageproductions

From what I understand these celebrity uniform items are out of Debbie Reynold's collection that they are selling. She was one of the major buyers for Old School Hollywood costuming and tried to open a museum with the items.

In this auction is also Robert Duvall's / Col. Kilgore's guitar that he plays on the beach scene in Apocalypse Now.

All I know is that under don't ask-don't tell he'd have to wear pants.

Minnie Mouse said that Donald had an 8 inch feather.

The auction jacket appears to have Aircrew wings. Clark wore Aerial Gunner wings. If the coat is original, perhaps the insignia was added "at some later point"?

Kurt

The auction jacket appears to have Aircrew wings. Clark wore Aerial Gunner wings. If the coat is original, perhaps the insignia was added "at some later point"?

Kurt

Might be Aerial Observer wings? I have seen that he did that for awhile...

I can't get the catalog to download...are there more photos in there of it?

The catalog is 108MB - those are the only photos of this uniform.

Why would a tunic with its alleged provenance have had its buttons removed/changed?!

Sabrejet :think:

maybe given to fans or sold for war bonds.

I believe they have one of his uniforms and his crusher in the Museum of the USAF.

Hey !!

I seem to remember the AF museum at Wright-Patterson had Clark Gables's overcoat on display !?! They also have Jimmy Stewart's A2 and if memory serves me correctly one of Glenn Miller's trombones, glasses and visor cap !?! Its been a long, long time since I've been there !! So I could (probably) be off on that !?!

I stopped the museum for a half day or so one time on the way to the SoS when it was in Cincinnati way back when.

In any case, its a great museum and well worth a visit !!!

Vic

Hey !!

I seem to remember the AF museum at Wright-Patterson had Clark Gables's overcoat on display !?! They also have Jimmy Stewart's A2 and if memory serves me correctly one of Glenn Miller's trombones, glasses and visor cap !?! Its been a long, long time since I've been there !! So I could (probably) be off on that !?!

I stopped the museum for a half day or so one time on the way to the SoS when it was in Cincinnati way back when.

In any case, its a great museum and well worth a visit !!!

Vic

Maybe it was, or it could have been Ronald Reagan's overcoat. Jimmy Stewarts' A-2 and his BG blues too are on display (I think). I did take a photo of Glenn Miller's cap. I'm just up the road from the museum, I think it's time for a road trip to refresh my memory as well!