Gettysburg Reunion Ribbon

1perazzi

teufelhunde.ret
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIJaxu3w4-U...feature=related

Check this video out.

I can't get any screen stills from the video, but it is taken of a memorial / reunion event held by the government at Gettysburg in 1913 and 1938. Quite a few of the old timers are wearing various ribbons that look like yours here.

Interesting video...

vets.jpg

vet2.jpg

SCF-Collector

A very nice early Gettysburg ribbon. Even if it wasn't dated - the construction definitely dates this as an early piece. Definitely a Yankee piece - no Confederate would be caught dead wearing a ribbon with a photograph of Meade <g>. Style is similar to GAR ribbons of the period - but those are usually marked as such - but not always. The paper photograph mounted on the ribbon (that's what it looks like) wasn't used too much after that I think.

This could be from any of a number of events held in Gettysburg in 1887 - from what were often called "excursions" to a monument dedication or a regimental reunion held on the battlefield. GAR Posts and various army units (regiments, brigades, etc) would organize trips ("excursions") to Gettysburg to visit the battlefield - dedicate a monument - or both sometimes. There was also an active tourist trade in Gettysburg by that time. Sometimes these excursions would include multiple battlefields in one trip. It's also worth noting that many units would return to Gettysburg after their monument was dedicated - hold reunions there. Remember, there were something like 90 monuments at Gettysburg by 1887 - the year before the 25th reunion. Lots of possibilities.

Some quick searching revealed some potential candidates for this ribbon. For example, the 5th CT Infantry had a Dedication, Excursion and Reunion at Gettysburg in August of that year. Here's a link to the book on that. I didn't look through this - maybe there are pictures to search!

http://www.archive.org/download/fifthconne...ticut00unit.pdf

There was also a reunion of Pickett's Division and the Philadelphia Brigade on the battlefield in July 1887. Those two units actually met multiple times - including in Richmond in 1888 I think it was. I think there was actually a 24th anniversary reunion of sorts there in July as well. I found a reference to a reunion of approximately 9000 Veterans and their families there in July 1887.

The 4th OVI also had an event at their monument that year. I've seen their ribbon though (the main one) and it's clearly marked.

Just some examples. While most ribbons/badges from events such as these are identifiable from what's on them - not all are so-marked. Some are plain - sold by local merchants in Gettysburg to the different visitors. You could probably put together a list ofevents in 1887 where this ribbon might have been worn and maybe, just maybe, you might get lucky and find a photograph on the Internet where you see that specific ribbon. It's worth a shot anyway.

My suggestion would be to make a list and go from there. See if you can find anything on the reunion there in July 1887. If there was indeed that large of a group of people there - you can bet there were generic sourvenir ribbons/badges. You see those for all the major group reunions at Gettysburg (1888, 1913, 1938). You might also look at civilian photos that appear fairly regularly of people visiting Gettbyburg. I've seen people wearing various ribbons in such photos (e.g., at Devil's Den - popular photo-opportunity for tourists).

I'll keep an eye-open for this ribbon in my Gettysburg research.

Wow Thanks for your help, a lot I didn't know! Would the ribbons have been locally made since its embroideried ? and yes thats Meade. I think I'll take it out to see if the back has a maker or anything on it and try for better pics Thanks again Mike

SCF-Collector

Possible, but not likely - unless there happened to be a manufacturer nearby. I don't recall any in the Gettysburg area - at least not off the top of my mind. More than likely a manufacturer selected by the group organizing the event - brought to the event at Gettysburg and distributed, or sometimes mailed out beforehand.

Definitely take a look at the back - many/most are marked - usually a paper tag, but also sometimes printed on the ribbon fabric or stamped on the back of the top bar. If you don't see a paper tag, look closely near the top/back of the ribbon - where it attaches to the top-bar. Sometimes it's marked there.

If you take the ribbon out of its frame, could you take some more photographs of it (front and back)? Flatbed scanners are great for images of ribbons. I know that I, for one, would enjoying seeing this ribbon in better detail.

Thanks!

Kevin