Sign in to follow this  
Sparkyasundevil

H/506th 101st Airborne group

Just wanted to share with the group here my latest and greatest Paratrooper grouping that I recently pickd up from a local good buddy!

These are the medals and other items of Gordon W. Yates H Co. 506th 101st Airborne Division.

Mr. Yates was the H Company radio operator throughout the war and was well known at many of the 506 and 101st reunions for many years. He has recently been written about in Mark Bando's latest book on the 101st.

I knew Mr. Yates back in the early 80's when he was a Produce Clerk/Manager at a local grocery store. What a GREAT guy! When he passed away, I was out of town and when his items became available for purchase I was again out of town on business. The items were split up between 3 collectors. crying.gif

Anyhow, I am fortunate to be the caretaker of this group of items.

post-145-1191371064.jpg

post-145-1191371083.jpg

Sparky,

Cool group and nice pick up!! I have seen a couple of small groups of his for sell over the past couple of years.

I was lucky to pick up a pair of his wings and his ribbon bar, also from a good friend.

post-82-1191378264.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

This is TOTALLY bizarre! I was just offered a 506th pocket patch attributed to Yates. Was his stuff scattered that badly, or is there a chance that someone has found Yates' name to be a convenient selling point?

I'm assuming that all of this has been engraved in the past few years?

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

This is TOTALLY bizarre! I was just offered a 506th pocket patch attributed to Yates. Was his stuff scattered that badly, or is there a chance that someone has found Yates' name to be a convenient selling point?

I'm assuming that all of this has been engraved in the past few years?

Allan

Hi Allan,

Good to hear from you.

Yes, It has been scattered even worse over the years.

Mr. Yates showed me these medals in the mid 80's and they were the same ones. I remembered the scuffing on the PH. He had them privately engraved.

Leif,

I have heard of that jump wing. And I probably saw it in person. Did you obtain it from the same friend?

By the way, Mark Bando has some of his items as well!

Mark,

I don't think they came from the same person....I got these out of the midwest, probably 4-5 or more years ago. I did see a group of his go about a year ago on ebay... it consisted of another set of wings (cannot remember if they were engraved or not) either an Epic or Currahee book (can't remember) and a small photo album with cool artwork on the cover....if memory serves me right. I think that most of what I have seen of his has been 'insignia' type of groups.

Allan, I do think they were post war engraved, but I do not think that they were done any time recently.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

The engraving on the Bronze Star, GCM and Silver Star look official to me . It is slightly crude, but similar to other pieces I have seen that date from the 1946 time period. They were probably all isuued at the same time except his PH which he would have received during the war.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Mark,

I don't think they came from the same person....I got these out of the midwest, probably 4-5 or more years ago. I did see a group of his go about a year ago on ebay... it consisted of another set of wings (cannot remember if they were engraved or not) either an Epic or Currahee book (can't remember) and a small photo album with cool artwork on the cover....if memory serves me right. I think that most of what I have seen of his has been 'insignia' type of groups.

Allan, I do think they were post war engraved, but I do not think that they were done any time recently.

I am a new forum member and was surprised to run across this thread that references the “Currahee book”. A couple of years ago while checking out WWII collectibles on eBay, I saw a 1945 original copy of the scrapbook that the 506th PIR put together in Germany after the war. When I describe the scrapbook, think of it in terms of a high school year book. I bid on and won the Currahee book, and it is an amazing piece of history. When I asked the seller, who owned the book, he said Gordon Yates. The seller was from Arizona and had previously sold a large part of Gordon Yates WWII items. This book has the photos of the primary characters from “The Band of Brothers” in it. It’s late tonight, but I will post photos in next couple of days.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.