AM + DFC - John A Fincke - Help ID Unit?

gamsdivision1944

gamsdivision1944

I might have posted this originally in the wrong place so I am posting it here also..click below for photo...

I have a grouping to John A. Fincke who was n a Bomb Squadrion in WWII. I am having a dickens of a time trying to find which BS/BG he served in. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks!

Rick

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=106591

• 10 years later...

SSGT. John A. Fincke... was a

Tail Gunner, Bombardier, and alternate pilot on the B-17

LADY GAY and was a member of the 8th Air Force, 452nd Bombardment Group, 730th Bomb Squadron.

He was my dad's youngest brother...my uncle.

SSGT. John A. Fincke... was a

Tail Gunner, Bombardier, and alternate pilot on the B-17

LADY GAY and was a member of the 8th Air Force, 452nd Bombardment Group, 730th Bomb Squadron.

He was my dad's youngest brother...my uncle. My name is Wayne D. Fincke.

From the IMA website where it was purchased...

Original Items: One-of-a-kind set. Staff Sergent John A Fincke ASN 38352171 from New Mexico was a Tail Gunner aboard the B-17 bomber LADY GAY and was a member of the 8th Air Force, 452nd Bombardment Group, 730th Bomb Squadron. Sergent Fincke flew an astounding 36 combat missions between February 6th, 1945 and April 16th, 1945. He was awarded the Air Medal with 5 oak clusters as well as the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Constituted as 452d Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 14 May 1943. Activated on 1 Jun 1943. Trained with B-17's. Moved to England, Dec 1943-Jan 1944, and assigned to Eighth AF. Entered combat on 5 Feb 1944 with an attack against aircraft assembly plants at Brunswick. Throughout combat, engaged primarily in bombardment of strategic targets, including marshalling yards at Frankfurt, aircraft assembly plants at Regensburg, aircraft component works at Kassel, the ball-bearing industry at Schweinfurt, a synthetic rubber plant at Hannover, and oil installations at Bohlen. 1st Lt Donald Gott and 2d Lt William E Metzger Jr were each awarded the Medal of Honor for remaining with their aircraft (crippled during a mission over Germany on 9 Nov 1944) in an attempt to save a wounded crew member who was unable to bail out; the men were killed when the B-17 exploded in midair. In addition to strategic missions, the 452d supported ground...

Allan