Post your family's Civil War history/artifacts/photos

Bob Hudson

Frank's Obit...

Mentions his brother James' death in battle and father Frederick's passing in Libby Prison...

Frank.png

Snippet from the 55th NY roll for Frederick, stating his promotion, capture and demise following the the battle of Malvern Hill...

55th_Infantry_CW_Roster (2).jpg

Snippet from the 18th NY Cavalry for James and Mortimer...

Mentions James' previous enlistment in the 11th NY...

18thCavCW_Roster (2).jpg

• 7 months later...
Yancy Irwin

Amazing thread! I have read it twice this week to make sure I did not miss anything! I only recently have started the do research on my GGG grandfather's military service and what I have found so far has been pretty interesting to me since I now live in North Carolina and just last month visited Fort Fisher battlefield only to find out the following month that my relatives unit was there was fasinating to me! Here's what I have so far..I'm still waiting on an unit history book on the 8th Connecticut volunteer Infantry regiment to come out in a few months...I was lucky enough to find and purchase the original unit history book for the 1st Connecticut volunteer heavy artillery printed in 1893..I'm still reading it but did find my relative in the roster for company G...anyways here's what I have so far..

Gould H Saunders born 1835 ..lived in Norwalk CT..enlisted 1st Sept 1861 in the 8th Connecticut volunteer Infantry regiment company H..took part in battles with 8th Connecticut untill January 20-24th 1863 were during Burnsides 2nd campaign "mud March" he was wounded and sent home...he recovered from his injury and later that year on Dec 30th 1863 joined the 1st Connecticut volunteer Heavy artillery company G..his company was at Fort Berry Va the first 4 months of the year then took part in the siege of Petersburg (his company was stationed at battery 11 and redoubt Sutton) then took part in the Siege of Richmond ..he survived the war and M.O on sept 25th 1865 and went on the have 15 kids! (I'm still reading the unit history...there is and enormous amount of information in that book! I was given 2 tintype photos of Gould ..one pre war and one right after...my great Aunt has the tin type in uniform that I'm posting as well as a photo from early 1900's at a old soldiers veterans home  in Norton Heights in Stamford CT were he lived with around 90 other union CT civil war vets untill he passed.

IMG_20220617_155707712.jpg

Granfathe.JPG

Ray Saund.JPG

• 7 months later...

My Father's  people were from Northern Alabama.  My Grandfather was born during the Civil War. (Yep, grandfather)  The were big land owners,  My GGF was a Calvary Colonel, but he had to stay on the plantation growing food to feed the troops.  I believe that he was involved in a minor skirmish near by.   My GGF's brother also served as an officer.   The other extended family members, I am not sure of, but the search continues. 

The young man pictured below, was a family member.   Had I been alive at the time, he would have been my first cousin.  He was killed July 1, '62, at age 16 at Malvern Hill during the Peninsula campaign, fighting with the 2nd Louisiana Volunteers.   After the war, there was a fellow who claimed to have been the witness of the kid's death, who described him being decapitated by a cannon ball.  There is a lot of skepticism about the "story."  It is not even clear where the young man is buried, there is a stone monument dedicated to him in a family plot in Georgia, but we are not sure if he is interred there or if he was buried on or near the battlefield. 

Edwin Francis Jemison, known as Eddie.

DSCN3876 (2) - Copy.JPG

1 hour ago, SA1911A1 said:

My Father's  people were from Northern Alabama.  My Grandfather was born during the Civil War. (Yep, grandfather)  The were big land owners,  My GGF was a Calvary Colonel, but he had to stay on the plantation growing food to feed the troops.  I believe that he was involved in a minor skirmish near by.   My GGF's brother also served as an officer.   The other extended family members, I am not sure of, but the search continues. 

The young man pictured below, was a family member.   Had I been alive at the time, he would have been my first cousin.  He was killed July 1, '62, at age 16 at Malvern Hill during the Peninsula campaign, fighting with the 2nd Louisiana Volunteers.   After the war, there was a fellow who claimed to have been the witness of the kid's death, who described him being decapitated by a cannon ball.  There is a lot of skepticism about the "story."  It is not even clear where the young man is buried, there is a stone monument dedicated to him in a family plot in Georgia, but we are not sure if he is interred there or if he was buried on or near the battlefield. 

Edwin Francis Jemison, known as Eddie.

DSCN3876 (2) - Copy.JPG

I've seen that exact photograph many times in books...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Below are photos of my Great Grandfather’s Civil War pardon (Shadrach Mims Jemison) and his plantation home in Talladega, Alabama.  The other photo is my GGUncle’s photo (Elbert Seiver Jemison) in uniform and with his wife.  

5DE6995B-2082-4B38-88DF-5271AB2301CC.jpeg

B38A6A1E-1E39-4FAE-B98D-1FB5A9E33A54.jpeg

1C50F495-DDF4-4F5F-A0AB-14BA3E4849B9.jpeg

BD0724B1-7C2F-4A6F-B604-999E0976D521.jpeg

55AC76CD-0D6C-40EF-AA30-50301FB93DD8.jpeg

1B7B5770-31D6-4A3A-88D8-426ADCAFBA9D.jpeg

87D7E65C-78A0-4254-A170-790BC876AAA7.jpeg

CC81C736-1BB5-44B8-931E-2F29123F4C36.jpeg