Post your family's Civil War history/artifacts/photos

Bob Hudson

My GG grandfather on my Mom's side. We have quite a bit of documentation on him but I think the artifical leg paper is most interesting.

post-13779-1302681732.jpg

post-13779-1302681785.jpg

GG Grandfather on my Dad's side. We had many more Civil War vets most wore blue 1 wore gray. All of them were from Kentucky.

post-13779-1302682183.jpg

I have a few relatives who served in the Civil War:

Carey Page, 1st Missouri Engineers and 12th Illinois Infantry

Isaac Page, 1st Missouri Engineers

William Page 83rd Illinois Infantry, Co. I

David Medlock 11th Missouri Cavalry, Co. E

Nathanial Medlock, 11th Missouri Cavalry, Co. E

One distant relative, Joseph Lamb was a regular with the 15th US Infantry,, served in 28 engagements and was killed at Buzzard's Roost, Georgia, May 3rd 1863. A couple others on that branch were with Indiana regiments.

The photo below is a family group photo of four generations; what is weird is that my dad is the infant, and my great great grandfather (seated) was a Civil War veteran! I'm only 47 so it's strange to see that photo.

carypage.jpg

My GGGGrandfather, Peter Rudolph Conrad, when the war broke out and General Freemont began raising units in Missouri, he joined "Fremont's Rangers as a 1st Lt. when that unit was disbanded, he enlisted as a Private in Bissels Engineer Regiment of the West...which later became the 1st Regiment, Missouri Engineers..he served in Companies G and I and was discharged as a Sergeant. My other Grandfather, Alfred Conrad, served in the 5th and 12th Missouri State Militia Cavalry. My Sergeant Conrad's brother, John Calvin, served in the 47th Missouri Infantry Regiment. I only have a picture of Peter R. Conrad:

Mark sends

post-3423-1302727598.jpg

My GGGGGrandfather was David Rudolph Conrad...he was one of the local bigwigs in Bollinger County...while his sons were serving, Confederate bushwackers (which was the majority of the fighting in Southeast Missouri) took him prisoner and held him for two months until he was exchanged for some Confederate prisoners...at the end of the war, he became a Missouri State Senator, and was one of the men who favored a harsh treatment for the Southern states....guess his short stay with the Confederate guerrillas left him in a bad mood.....

post-3423-1302727774.jpg

I have a few relatives who served in the Civil War:

Carey Page, 1st Missouri Engineers and 12th Illinois Infantry

Isaac Page, 1st Missouri Engineers

William Page 83rd Illinois Infantry, Co. I

David Medlock 11th Missouri Cavalry, Co. E

Nathanial Medlock, 11th Missouri Cavalry, Co. E

One distant relative, Joseph Lamb was a regular with the 15th US Infantry,, served in 28 engagements and was killed at Buzzard's Roost, Georgia, May 3rd 1863. A couple others on that branch were with Indiana regiments.

The photo below is a family group photo of four generations; what is weird is that my dad is the infant, and my great great grandfather (seated) was a Civil War veteran! I'm only 47 so it's strange to see that photo.

carypage.jpg

I have an electronic copy of the History of the 1st Missouri Engineers if you want me to email it to you....if so, PM me your email address....

Mark sends

Thomas Albert Hash
8th and 13th Mo. Cav. 1861-66. He did a majority of his service in Kansas chasing Indians and keeping supply lines open.
Died in Idaho in 1888 from frozen feet.

keithhufnagel

My great, great grandfather Gerhard Kluesner (listed as Gerhard Klessner), 91st Indiana VI, from Celestine Indiana, mustered in Russelville Ky. 1862, and served in middle Tennesse and Georgia. His unit fought with Sherman's Atlanta campaign including the Kennesaw Mountain assualt at Kolb's farm. He later served with Schofield's 23 Corp at Pulaski, Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville Tennessee. I find it hard to realize how close my family came to extinction if he had been captured at Spring Hill as the Union Army should have been. Thank you Gen. Hood. He was then transfered to Salisbury North Carolina to face Gen. Joe Jonstons' forces, where he mustered out. He then traveled to Baltimore Md. where he got food poisoning on a US hospital ship and barely survived. Not bad for a 22 year old German immigrant boy who barely spoke american. He made it home to be my Grandmother's favorite Grandfather. He used to tell her (on his knee) of all the wonderful and horrible sights he had seen. And . . . she told me. He is buried in Celestine and I keep his name and service alive throughout the Family.

These are my great, great grandfathers,

Elbert T Reagan (Ragan) 29 Alabama Inf.

J C Bealle 51st Alabama Partisan Rangers

and

John A. Propes 43 Georgia Inf, he has two possibly three brothers that also fought with the 43 Georgia Inf. "Hall County Light guards"

My great great Uncles

L. Propes, and Richard W, all three enlisted March 10 1862,.

John was appointed 1st Corp in 1862 captured at vicksburg Miss. July 4 1863, paroled there July 6, 1863, Private, nov 1863. Surrendered Greensboro NC April 26, 1865.

I hope you find that interesting !

Matt

Great, Great, Great Grandfather:

post-594-1302971014.jpg

Frederick Allbright, 167th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry

post-594-1302971030.jpg

Allbright's Discharge and GAR medal

I posted this elsewhere...

I knew for years I had a direct ancestor in 11th Cavalry, 108th PA Regiment, Co. G for pretty much the duration of the war. Depending which roster you read, he was a sergeant, first sergeant, and then finally 2nd lieutenant at the very end. Garrisoned outside of Ft. Monroe, I believe I calculated they had something like 20% casualties over a four year period due to various causes, but I would have to double check that. My family member survived.

I'd always wondered why I never heard any family stories about Gettysburg.... when researching the unit's history, on the day of the historic battle the 11th PA CAV was busily tearing up railroads behind Confederate lines.

As all of my relatives are from New York and Pennsylvania, imagine my surprise when researching my Mother's side of the family when I found my maternal grandmother had two uncles who "moved to Mississippi (from the Lake Ontario region of New York) and fought for the South during the War of Rebellion". That is a family history I would love to track down... starting with what possessed them to move that far away to begin with!

As for having artifacts or photos.... between grandchildren and cousins, whatever these gentlemen brought back from the war, it is either gone forever or being safeguarded in some distant relative's hands. I would love ot have a photo of my ancestor, even a group photo of the 11th PA CAV.

My great-great-grandfather, Capt.Paul Cornevin, was one of those chosen to join the First Michigan Lancers, Company "C" (Rankin's Lancers) in December 1861. Upon the disbanding of that unit in March 1862 due to questions about George Rankin's motivations, he joined the Ninth Michigan Cavalry as the Captain of Company "M" in Nov 1862. He advanced rapidly, serving as Acting Topographical Engineer, Second Division, Cavalry Corps, from Nov. 1863, to Feb. 1864 and then moving to Assistant Inspector General, Second Division, Cavalry Corps, from March to October, 1864. As best I can tell, he marched with Sherman through the South, and was mustered out at Lexington, NC on 21 July 1865.

His older brother Alphonse Cornevin also enlisted with the 9th/Co."M" and was then detailed at the HQ of the Military Division of Mississippi from Sept 1864 until he was mustered out in Washington, DC on 8 July 1865.

Lynn

Very cool topic. I have been away from researching my geneology for several years, but I have a number of Confederate family members. They are:

-- Thomas Hill Watts: (my 3rd Great Grand Uncle)

- Attorney General of the Confederate States of America- 1862 to 1863

- Gov. of Alabama - 1963 to April 1865

- Col. 17th Alabama

-- Capt. Wilson Murphy Jr.: (3rd Great Grand Uncle)

- Co. D, 33rd Alabama, fought at Chickamauga

-- Pvt. Julius Murphy: (3rd Great Grand Uncle)

- Pvt. Co. E, 12th Alabama, Army of Northern Virginia

- Died April 1865 at Petersburg, VA

Thanks,

Ed Maier

I only have one tie to the Civil War. My GGG Uncle Maj Algernon Emory Smith, 117th New York. Mustered Aug 8th 1862, muster out June 8,1865. Most notable of his accomplishments was that he was killed with Custer at Little Big Horn.

I only have one tie to the Civil War. My GGG Uncle Maj Algernon Emory Smith, 117th New York. Mustered Aug 8th 1862, muster out June 8,1865. Most notable of his accomplishments was that he was killed with Custer at Little Big Horn.

aesmith.jpg

This is Robert Wade Shaw, my grandfather's grandfather. He served with the 5th South Carolina Infantry. He lived in York County, SC, survived the war, returned home where he then worked milling corn. He was born in 1821, so pretty old for a soldier.

post-397-1303258352.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Robswashashore

My Great great Grandfather John H. Barnett -- 1 Lt. in Company B "Standing Pine Guards" of the 40th Mississippi Infantry. My grandfather's (AJ Barnett, MD, who appears in my avatar at left) grandfather.

post-12350-1304175478.jpg

post-12350-1304175504.jpg

His son, John W. Barnett. (Top row, second from left.) Originally in the 24th Mississippi, he transferred to the 40th to be with his father. Served as a Sgt. Captured at Vicksburg in July 1963. Paroled and served till the end of the war.

Continued on next post...

post-12350-1304175606.jpg

Robswashashore

John W.'s Muster Roll:

post-12350-1304176173.jpg

John W.'s Parole from Vicksburg:

post-12350-1304176291.jpg

John H.'s oldest son, James David Barnett, MD. Enlisted in 3rd Arkansas. Died at Fredericksburg, Virginia on March 17th, 1862. His remains never returned. To this day Barnetts go to the Confederate Cemetery in Fredericksburg, and pay their respects to all the Confederate Unknowns so as to honor "David."

post-12350-1304176211.jpg

As an aside, I proudly bear the Barnett name as my middle name -- Jean Barnett Gould Hooper.

• 4 months later...

I just learned I'm related to several members of the 50th Virginia Infantry, including Major Lynville Perkins, who fought for the confederacy in the Civil War. This includes my great great great grandfather, who was captured at Gettysburg and held at Point Lookout in Maryland (a notorious union POW camp) for two years.

Many of my great x4 uncles apparently also served in this unit, including Perkins.

A bit unsettling, but very interesting.

On my father's side of the family, my great grandfather L.C. Fowler was a sergeant in Company H, 4th Alabama Infantry Regiment, Army of Northern Virginia (Law's Brigade, Hood's Division). He enlisted before First Manassas and served for the entire war. His name appears on the Appomattox roster. He died in 1935 at the age of 92. A great-great uncle, Elias Thrasher, was a lieutenant in the 2nd Tennessee Mounted Infantry (US). On mother's side, two great uncles, Caleb and Joe Rees, served with the 1st Mississippi Partisan Rangers and later with one of Forrest's cavalry commands. The photo below was taken in 1895 in Lauderdale County, Alabama, of the survivors of Company H, 4th Alabama. L.C. Fowler is the second man from the right.

post-8076-1316205439.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting thread.

While I have no photos of my GGG Grandfather, his name was Henry C. Wild. He Mustered in at Frederick, Maryland 9/14/1861 for a period of 3 years. He was 15 at the time, but lied like many others did about his age. He was a Private, Co. C, 1st Maryland infantry. Potomac Home Brigade. He was captured at Harpers Ferry September 15th, 1864 and was paroled the next day. He was at Gettysburg, I believe on Culp's Hill. He mustered out Feb. 27 1864 and re-inlisted Feb. 28, 1864 as part of the 13th Md. Infantry. He Mustered out May 29, 1865.

Records show the Henry was hard to stay put. He was "absent without leave" on several occasions, most of the time a few days. He was charged with desertion only once that I can see, and fined. They just kept back his pay till the fine was paid.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
VirtualMariner

Unfortunately, I have no photos, relics or any other vaguely military remnants of my Civil War ancestors. However, I have confirmed the service of 4 of my great-great-grandfathers in that war. The uncles and cousins are too numerous to mention. Almost all of my Civil War relatives were Confederates, but there were some exceptions.

My great-great-grandfathers that fought in the Civil War were:

Michael VanBuren Baker (Confederate)

Preston's Cavalry Battalion/4th Missouri Cavalry

William Richard Morrisett (Confederate & Union)

11th TN Infantry Regiment (deserted after Stones River)

48th Kentucky Volunteer Mounted Infantry (as a former Confederate, he was not assigned a combat role - he was a waggoneer)

Ira Goff Trett (Union)

Phelps' Regiment; Missouri Volunteers

William Edward Renfro (Confederate)

30th Arkansas Infantry (spent most of the war in Camp Douglas prison)

My GGGrandfather Hosea Bradford (Confederate) joined 26th NC in 1862 age 60. All his sons were in the 26th including my Great Grandfather William W. Bradford. William was wounded at Gettysburg and again at the Wilderness in May, 1864. Captured in April 1865 at Hatcher Run.

I do have a cow horn carved by N.G.Bradford. N.G. was a Capt. in 26th NC. Wounded at Gettysburg and spent rest of the war as a POW in multiple POW camps. From Dec.1864 to March 1865 he was held at Fort Pulaski Ga. as one of the "Immortal 600". N. G. carved the cow horn while at Fort Pulaski. The tip of the horn is carved as a mouth piece into which one can blow. Sounds like a hunters horn. Under the mouth piece he carved oak leaves and acorns. On the large end are grapes and grapevines. In the center is a rabbit and a beautiful flying dove with an olive branch in its beak. Also around the center he carved " IDLE HOURS OF A PRISONER OF WAR" Then he carved "N.G.BRADFORD" Then "FORT PULASKI GA 1865" The body was scrapped down leaving the catvings raised about 1/8". Cedar charcoal was used to polish the cowhorn.

This is an unbelievable piece of art. All the carving is very ornate and the letters are the same size. The dove has feathers carved on the body. Words cannot do justice to the beauty of work

• 9 months later...
439th Signal Battalion

I will share some of my family history and images on this thread.

Both sides of my family have been from western North Carolina since the end of the Revolution (where they received land grants for their service in the NC militia and 6th Continentals) and in 1861, my family was primarily located in Mitchell and Yancey counties.

To greatly summarize some information on the thread, the War Between the States experience in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee was unlike any other region in the country at that time and is still today one of the most misunderstood and under-studied topics of the Civil War era.

To put it bluntly, western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee were Union strongholds within the Southern Confederacy and as one historian stated, there was probably more guerrilla fighting and murders/killings in the region that the entire period of the "Old West."

(I have often thought that this topic would be a great thesis and comparison to the Vietnam War).

Mitchell County, at that time, was about as divided as a rural community could be with some men casting their lots with the Union or Confederacy. Mitchell County was actually created from Burke County in 1861 because of secession. (There were little if any slaves in the county at that time and most citizens in the region were small farmers that had nothing in common with the large plantation owners to the east and south).

My great (x3) grandfather, Samuel Cassen Gouge and his brother Joseph Gouge (along with some of their cousins) joined Compay E of the 3rd North Carolina Mounted Infantry (US) where they served until their discharge in 1865 after the war ended.

Unfortunately, I do not have an image of my grandfather but I do have one of Joseph Gouge. Note that he is wearing a regulation frock coat. The unit was also armed with Spencer Repeating rifles.

74853994_131325944133_edited-1_zpsaf4f0fa2.jpg

sam_gouge_big_zpsa60a0906.jpg

On my mother's side of the family (also from Mitchell County) my relatives were all Confederates, serving in the 29th and 58th Infantry Regiments.