Post your family's Civil War history/artifacts/photos

Bob Hudson

Many of us have photos, documents or even some artifacts from an ancestor who fought in the Civil War and this is the time to share those.

All I have are some photos of a gravesite and digital copies of records from ancestry.com:

empfieldcem.jpg

My great-great-grandfather Thomas Sylvester Empfield lived from Dec 1838 to 24 Dec 1916 and is buried in Belsano, Pennsylvania. After service in a couple short term units, he enlisted as a Private on 26 February 1864 in Company H, 110th Infantry Regiment and mustered out on 28 June 1865 at Washington, DC. He was wounded at Boydton Plank Road, Va. on October 27, 1864. The 110th history show a lot of fighting from the time he joined them:

Fought on 5 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.

Fought on 6 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.

Fought on 7 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.

Fought on 12 May 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, VA.

Fought on 18 May 1864.

Fought on 19 May 1864.

Fought on 20 May 1864.

Fought on 24 May 1864 at North Anna River, VA.

Fought on 30 May 1864.

Fought on 1 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.

Fought on 2 Jun 1864.

Fought on 12 Jun 1864.

Fought on 15 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 16 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 18 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 22 Jun 1864.

Fought on 23 Jun 1864.

Fought on 27 Jul 1864 at Deep Bottom Run, VA.

Fought on 16 Aug 1864 at Deep Bottom Run, VA.

Fought on 21 Aug 1864.

Fought on 10 Sep 1864 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 17 Sep 1864.

Fought on 20 Sep 1864 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 22 Sep 1864.

Fought on 1 Oct 1864 at Deep Bottom Run, VA.

Fought on 2 Oct 1864 at Poplar Springs Church, VA.

Fought on 8 Oct 1864.

Fought on 12 Oct 1864.

Fought on 22 Oct 1864.

Fought on 27 Oct 1864 at Boydton Plank Road, VA.

Fought on 5 Feb 1865 at Hatcher's Run, VA.

Fought on 25 Mar 1865 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 25 Mar 1865 at Fort Stedman, VA.

Fought on 31 Mar 1865 at Petersburg, VA.

Fought on 3 Apr 1865.

Fought on 6 Apr 1865 at Sailor's Creek, VA.

Empfield_Thomas_S.jpg

Manchu Warrior

Meet my Great-Great Uncle 1st Sergeant Oliver P. Henderson Co E 85th PA Infantry. He contracted Typhoid fever during the Peninsula Campaign and was sent to Washington DC and on to Baltimore MD were he died at the Camden Military Hospital on May 25, 1862. Oriole Park at Camden Yards now stands where the hospital was once located. Oliver died within a few hundred yards of the location of the April 19, 1861 Pratt Street Riots. Where the first of many soldiers were killed in combat during the Civil War. The other photo is a bit of a mystery. He is Captain John Henderson, my Great Great Grand Dad. My mother had found information on him years ago and supposedly he was a cavalry officer with the 22nd PA Cav. However, with the research that I have done I could find no information on him. I started to believe that he may have been a fake. However, I had another relative that found info on a Captain in an Ohio regiment that fit his age ect. I just have to get down to the National Archives to find out if it was indeed the same John Henderson. As far as the photos are concerned. Years ago when my mother was doing her research she was in contact with a very distant cousin of hers who lived on the West coast. The young lady actually had the original photos that you see and was nice enough to send copies of them to my mom. And I am forever grateful for her doing so.

post-1412-1302624018.jpgpost-1412-1302624068.jpg

normaninvasion

This is my gr gr gr uncle, Charles N Lewis. Served in 3rd Reg. Conn. Inf. Co. B, 28th Reg. Conn. Inf. Co. G, and 1st Reg. Conn. Calvary Co. K. Fought at first Bull Run and was present at Appomattox. His original Connecticut minute man medal is below pic as well as his calvay spur. His brother George H Lewis, served with 15th Reg. Conn. Co. F, died of disease after Antietam. Also have letters from them, while in the field, and a family letter explaining George's death and bringing his body home. Three cousins of the above also served in Conn. regiments.

post-4253-1302624473.jpg

post-4253-1302624500.jpg

he other photo is a bit of a mystery. He is Captain John Henderson, my Great Great Grand Dad. My mother had found information on him years ago and supposedly he was a cavalry officer with the 22nd PA Cav. However, with the research that I have done I could find no information on him.

An officer in the 22nd Cav from PA? Here he is -

U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865

Name: John B. Henderson

Side: Union

Regiment State/Origin: Pennsylvania

Regiment Name: 22 Pennsylvania Cav.

Regiment Name Expanded: 22nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry (185th Volunteers)

Company: B

Rank In: Private

Rank In Expanded: Private

Rank Out: First Lieutenant

Name: John Henderson

Enlistment Date: 26 Aug 1862

Side Served: Union

State Served: Pennsylvania

Service Record: Enlisted as a Sergeant on 26 August 1862.

Enlisted in Company B, 22nd Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 26 Aug 1862.

Promoted to Full 2nd Lieutenant on 28 Jan 1865.

Promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant on 18 Mar 1865.

Transferred into Company B, 3rd Prov Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 24 Jun 1865.

Transferred out of Company B, 22nd Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 24 Jun 1865 at Cumberland, MD.

Mustered Out Company B, 3rd Prov Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 31 Oct 1865 at Cumberland, MD.

And here he is on a roll for the 3rd at the end of the war:

thirdcav.jpg

everforward

My Great-Great Grandfathers marker, on my Dad's maternal side.

post-2-0-10324900-1410305549.jpg

I have at least a 1/2-dozen more Uncles/Cousins that fought, and all in Va. if my memory serves me.

Very nice!! I have squat in terms of this. Although, supposedly I am related to Gen Rosecrans in some fashion. My great grandmother was born a Rosecrans. Not to sure where in the tree though. One of the things I need to research one of these days.

My GGGG Uncle John Mitch Roberts, Roddy's 4th Alabama Calvary, served under N.B.Forrest. I also scanned his 1921 Confederate survey he filled out, it was part of his pension application. If you had ancestors that were from Alabama, they have some great archives. If you notice in the photo, his right hand looks "drawn". He made it thru the war with-out getting hurt and was thrown from his horse when he was coming home at the end of the war. He broke his right arm, since he was alone, he set it himself and it never healed exactly straight. He bacame a Methodist preacher after the war, his G-dad was one of the first lawmen in Lawrence County, Alabama.

John Mitch Roberts

post-2-0-13624800-1410305865.jpg

Reunion Photo

post-2-0-47036800-1410305864.jpg

Very nice!! I have squat in terms of this. Although, supposedly I am related to Gen Rosecrans in some fashion. My great grandmother was born a Rosecrans. Not to sure where in the tree though. One of the things I need to research one of these days.

Send me a PM with here name and I'll do some quick checks.

My Great-Great-Grandfather Robert Carroll enlisted Feb 24, 1864 in Indiana. Lied about his age as he was only 16. Enlisted with his brother James who was 18. Served with the 47th Indiana. Fought in one of the last battles of the war at Ft Blakely Ala. Mustered out in 1865. Married the daughter of a comrade who had died from sickness. Came to Iowa after the war. Died 1932 and buried in his uniform in Center Cemetery, Castana Iowa. Guess whom I'm named after. Robert

Side note. (Now I don't want to p--- off our Southern friends). about 20 years ago I took my Mother to Ala to visit Ft Blakely. The park rangers were very friendly. They got real excited when my mother told them her great grandfather fought there. They got very unfriendly when she said 47th Indiana

GreatX3 Grandfather George McNeil Co K 47th Indiana. Enlisted with his Son. Was 45 YOA. Died of illness. My GG Grandfather Robert Carroll married his daughter.

Great Great Grandfather Richard L McGraw Co G. 84tth Indiana. Died March 6, 1928. Buried Center Cemetary, Castana, Ia

GGG Uncle William McGraw . Co C. 75th Indiana Died 1884. Buried Hobbs Cemetary Tipton Ind

GGG Uncle George M McGraw Was Wounded . My Grandmother told me stories that he carried a silk cloth in his side to keep the wound cleaned out as it never really healed. Have no info where he was wounded.

My GGGG Grandfather:

LTC Chillicothe "Chilly" McIntosh
2nd Creek Mounted Rifles, CSA
1804-1875

Fought at the Battle of Honey Springs, IT in 1863 and a variety of other small engagements.

post-2-0-07042100-1410306006.jpg

Chilly's Half-Brother:

COL D.N. McIntosh
1st Creek Mounted Rifles, CSA
1822-1896

Report snippet concerning the Battle of Middle Boggy, IT:

February 9, 1864
Col. D.N. McIntosh
First Creek Mounted Rifles CSA
The raid by the Federals was made at the mouth of the Little River. I was on my way to the Grand Council when the intelligence of which caused me to return from Boggy Depot. When I reached my command, they had left that place and had been gone too long for me to over take them. They took no prisoners but killed all without mercy, what number I am not able to learn. How brutal the actions of enemy! The much savage tribe of Indian who never heard of Civilization would shudder at such barbarity…

post-2-0-83661500-1410306372.jpg

post-2-0-75863400-1410306371.jpg

post-2-0-70559300-1410306370.jpg

My GGG Grandfather, Chilly's son:

CAPT William Frederick McIntosh
1st Creek Mounted Rifles, CSA
1824-1877

post-2-0-91383000-1410306552.jpg

post-2-0-73299600-1410306551.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Many of us have photos, documents or even some artifacts from an ancestor who fought in the Civil War

Sadly many of us do not... My great, great grandfather Henry lost his life in the Johnstown Flood of 1889 (as was most of our extended family) after the South Fork Dam gave way, arguably the most catastrophic dam failure in the US. In doing so our family history to that point was gone, until ancestry.com got up and running and I've been able to reconstruct some...

Henry served in the Marine Corps from 1860 - 1864. Taking his training in Philly, he served at Marine Barracks & Naval Yard DC. By the summer of 1861 he was aboard the US Frigate St Lawrence, were he was soon promoted to Cpl, and the ship participated in the Battle of Hampton Roads. In the summer of 1863 he was transfered to the US Flag Ship San Jacinto, which apparently saw allot of action in the Gulf and captured many schooners. His muster roll report reports end May of 1864... At some point the research will resume. :think:

This is my g-g-grandfather's regiment, the 114th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, during their 1891 reunion in Logan, Ohio. My g-g-grandfather is seen kneeling in the front row on the far left! My grandmother recognized the building as being that of the Old Soldiers' Home. It was likely the reunion was held nearby to accommodate the men too poor or feeble to travel. Having read of the reunions in the local newspapers, it appears my g-g-grandfather, Robert Bowland, was a regular attendee up until his death in 1898. His son, my great-grandfather, became commander of a local Sons of Union Veterans camp.

Here is a link to many of Robert's letters written during the war...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=bowland

post-211-1302632793.jpg

Manchu Warrior
An officer in the 22nd Cav from PA? Here he is -

U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865

Name: John B. Henderson

Side: Union

Regiment State/Origin: Pennsylvania

Regiment Name: 22 Pennsylvania Cav.

Regiment Name Expanded: 22nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry (185th Volunteers)

Company: B

Rank In: Private

Rank In Expanded: Private

Rank Out: First Lieutenant

Name: John Henderson

Enlistment Date: 26 Aug 1862

Side Served: Union

State Served: Pennsylvania

Service Record: Enlisted as a Sergeant on 26 August 1862.

Enlisted in Company B, 22nd Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 26 Aug 1862.

Promoted to Full 2nd Lieutenant on 28 Jan 1865.

Promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant on 18 Mar 1865.

Transferred into Company B, 3rd Prov Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 24 Jun 1865.

Transferred out of Company B, 22nd Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 24 Jun 1865 at Cumberland, MD.

Mustered Out Company B, 3rd Prov Cavalry Regiment Pennsylvania on 31 Oct 1865 at Cumberland, MD.

And here he is on a roll for the 3rd at the end of the war:

I got really excited with the information you sent and it got me re-interested with my own family history that I had admittedly not looked into for a very long time. And I have to be honest and say that other then me taking a few trips to the National Archives in DC, my mom was the one who had actually done all of the work. With that said I went and rooted around until I found the research that my mom had done and she actually had information on the officer that you had found. She had eliminated him simply because of his age. She had a copy of his Declaration of Recruit and John B. Henderson was from the same county in Western PA as my relatives and may very well be related to them. However, he was 23 years old in August of 1862. And my Great Great Grand Dad was 43 in the census of 1860. I am sure that at one time my mom informed me that John B was the not the right one and it had simply slipped from my memory. I also could not find any info on him when I took a trip I took to PA.

Years ago I took my boys to Gettysburg for the day, I am so glad I live so close to all of this. While there they had a booth set up, I believe that it was inside the museum, and you could give them what information you had on someone that served during the Civil War and they printed out the certificates below. One of course is for 1st Sgt Henderson, and for what ever reason they also had no information on a Captain John Henderson out of PA. The other one is for my other Great Great Grand Dad, Corporal Adrian Bogart Co I 158th New York Volunteer Infantry. I don't have his paper work in front of me and I am just going on memory. But he spent the duration of the war as a teamster in the North Carolina and was mustered out of service on June 30, 1865 in Richmond VA. He was also listed as a deserter for about three months and there were charges against him. However, there was a special order in his paper work from Gen John Gibbon that he was not to be tried. They did however take half his pay for six months and charged him for the uniform he tossed, it was like seven cents for a wool hat and twelve cents for a pair of pants etc.

As for the information pertaining to the officer in Ohio this is what I have.

Captain John Henderson Co K 18th Ohio Infantry Film number: M552 roll 47

My Great Great Grand Dad was from Western PA so I guess it could have been highly possible that he crossed over into Ohio, for what ever reason, and joined the war effort. Thanks Forum Support for the information and I will have to plan another trip to the Archives to check out this officer in Ohio.

post-1412-1302633495.jpgpost-1412-1302633500.jpg

X_redcatcher

I had 3, John Wallace Company H 110th PA, Benjamin Barto Company A 110th PA, he was killed on the 2nd of july 1863 at Gettysburg and William Barto Company B 200th PA

I had 3, John Wallace Company H 110th PA...

That's cool: your ancestor and my great-great grandfather (shown in the first post) were in the same company of the 110th, both recruited from Blair County PA.

Sadly many of us do not... My great, great grandfather Henry lost his life in the Johnstown Flood of 1889 (as was most of our extended family) after the South Fork Dam gave way, arguably the most catastrophic dam failure in the US. In doing so our family history to that point was gone, until ancestry.com got up and running and I've been able to reconstruct some...

My mother and I were both born in Johnstown and the vet I show in the first post had lots of descendants relocate to Johnstown from the surrounding small towns and villages.

This is my Great Grand Father, Jacob Harrison Bailey. Born in Morgan Co. Ohio in January 1837 and layed to rest at Burning Springs, West Virginia on 12 December 1903. Jacob served the Union as a PVT. in C Co. 25th Ohio Vol. Inf. and was wounded at Bull Pasture Mountain, McDowell, Va, Second Battle of Bull Run and Battle of

Chancellorsville. He was captured at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 1, 1863 and proled after the battle. Served the Union from 16 June 1861 to 18 June 1866.

Jacob married Rachel Ann Stallings on 13 Aug 1862 and they had 11 childern. Jacob is my mothers side of the family. According to my Grand Mother ( Fathers side) there were several who fought for the Southern States. I have not been able to trace any of there history yet.

THIS IS A GREAT TOPIC :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Excellent and Very Nice to see and also great to see all those great People

Are still being Remembered and Honoured like this :salute: :salute: .

On my mother's side of the family served three brothers:

John Alonzo Swertfager, 44th New York and 26th United States Colored Troops as a Commissioned Officer

Charles Swertfager - 146th New York, "Garrard's Tigers"

Henry Swertfager - 146th New York

At Gettysburg, the 44th New York and the 146th were right next to each other on Little Round Top, the only time during the war these sister regiments, and these three brothers would fight together!

I also had a relative on my father's side who also served in the War of the Rebellion: Ambrose Odell, 15th New York Engineers, and another in the 117th New York.

Hence my interest in Civil War memorabilia..

Here is the type of shell that was fired from Fort Sumter when the Federal troops held it. There is one stuck in the wall of the fort. This is a 6.4" Parrot Shell.

post-25933-1302650551.jpg

CHARLES WESTLEY HUNT = UNION

ALBERT C. HUNT = UNION

JAMES N. HUNT = UNION; KILLED AT CORINTH, MISSISSIPPI.

And some extended family members:

CHARLES McVEY, SERVED WITH THE UNIONS 16TH PENNSYLVANIA CAVALRY.

OLIVER J. McVEY, SERVED WITH THE UNION’S 85TH PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEERS, COMPANY D. HE ENLISTED ON NOVEMBER 11, 1861 AND HE WAS DISCHARGED ON SURGEON’S CERTIFICATE SEPTEMBER 18,1862.

patchtrader864

My GGGF John M Davis served under the name of John Mooney was in the 59th Massachusetts Infantry 9th corps 1st div,1st bde W.I.A. June 17th 1864 Petersburg Va., .

My great grandfather’s brother EVELYN A. GARLICK born in Lanesboro, MA. Enlisted on August 19, 1861 at Pittsfield, with Co. I, 21st Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers. Wounded at Chantilly, VA. On September 1. Died September 5,1862 in Alexandria, VA.

post-5217-1302657599.jpg

post-5217-1302657624.jpg

My great great great grandfather, Thomas Edwards, Co. G 5th PA Cavalry "Cameroon Dragoons". He had an older brother J.J. Edwards who also served in a different Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment that was captured and spent time at the infamous Libby Prison.

post-6395-1302676547.jpg

Another G.G.G. grandfather Jacob Emanuel DeLong circa 1863 in what appears to be a civil war uniform. I have not been able to find any info on his unit, but his older Brother Allen Amandus DeLong served with the 48th PA and was one of the miners who dug under the fortifications at Petersburg to set the charges for the battle of the crater. I met a much older cousin from Philadelphia that said another relative unknowingly threw out an "old clump of clay" from their garage that was supposedly formed by Allen Amandus' hands from the works there. :unsure:

post-6395-1302677448.jpg