Post your family's Civil War history/artifacts/photos

Bob Hudson

These are my great, great grandfathers,

Elbert T Reagan (Ragan) 29 Alabama Inf.

J C Bealle 51st Alabama Partisan Rangers

and

John A. Propes 43 Georgia Inf, he has two possibly three brothers that also fought with the 43 Georgia Inf. "Hall County Light guards"

My great great Uncles

L. Propes, and Richard W, all three enlisted March 10 1862,.

John was appointed 1st Corp in 1862 captured at vicksburg Miss. July 4 1863, paroled there July 6, 1863, Private, nov 1863. Surrendered Greensboro NC April 26, 1865.

I hope you find that interesting !

Matt

Update with Photo John A. Propes

post-3202-0-98614200-1465923940.jpg

What a great thread, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through it all. I will have to contribute to it soon.

• 1 year later...

Years ago my grandfather told me that my great-grandfather George Washington English fought in the civil war with the confederacy and that he was buried at such and such cemetery in East Texas. So a number of years later the wife and I were driving across the US on vacation from west coast to east coast and back again and decided to try and locate the cemetery. We were told to look for a tree stump looking headstone. We found the cemetery but no George Washington English. There were a number of very old looking unmarked graves sites so I called the telephone number on the gate leading into the cemetery but the person I spoke with did not have a listing of who was buried in this cemetery. There was a local mortuary in this small town called English's Mortuary so I stopped by to inquire but the current owner could not help me as he bought the place from the previous owner who had the last name of English. I was about to move on when I decided to call my grandfather on the pay phone as this was before cell phones. My grandfather told me that he would call me back and a distant relative who I was not familiar with called me to tell me that my grandfather was mistaken and we were in the wrong cemetery. She gave me the name of the correct cemetery in an adjoining county where they had just buried another relative in their family plot. So we drove over to this cemetery and sure enough I found these series of tree stump looking headstones (Woodsmen of the World) with George W. English on one of them. I started taking photographs when my wife told me that there was a confederate headstone with G. W. English on it in another English family plot. There was a freshly unearthed grave site with a temporary placard which is the relative the lady had mentioned having just buried. What was ironic is that years and years ago my grandfather was looking at the wrong headstone thinking this other George W. English was his father and I almost did the same thing had it not been for my wife who had wondered off while I was taking pictures. I wonder what the odds are for something like this to happen.

There was information on the headstone that told me that George Washington English served with Company G., 11th Missouri Infantry C.S.A. I had this very old grainy photograph of George W. English which was part of a family photograph and the only known photograph of him. He is wearing some sort of medal and circular political looking button. I eventually hired a genealogist living in Arlington Virginia who sent me copies of his service records which told me that he stayed in until the very end which would mean he was eligible for the Daughters of the Confederacy Southern Cross of Honor. I found out that his second wife, my great-grandmother, was one of the last persons receiving a confederate pension before she died at the age of 100. So I called the Texas State Library and they sent me copies of their pension records which indicated that George Washington English had attended the 1902 Dallas Texas Confederate Reunion. He was there to obtained a number of depositions during the reunion from fellow soldiers he had served with which was a requirement for the pension. With this information I was able to identify the medal and button as having been given out during the reunion. I eventually found both pieces minus the ribbon along with some other things like an original blank Southern Cross of Honor which I had engraved with his name. I eventually put together a shadow box to honor his memory.

post-1389-0-09926900-1505170450_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-57328700-1505170559.jpg

Here is my contribution... while it's a distant relative, (3rd cousin removed a few times), it's still interesting.

He was Union General Thomas Williams, killed at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, August 5, 1862.

post-93633-15051760147529.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have a cow horn carved by N.G.Bradford. N.G. was a Capt. in 26th NC. Wounded at Gettysburg and spent rest of the war as a POW in multiple POW camps. From Dec.1864 to March 1865 he was held at Fort Pulaski Ga. as one of the "Immortal 600". N. G. carved the cow horn while at Fort Pulaski.

Could you please post a picture of the horn? I'd love to see it. I'll bet Fort Pulaski would also like to have a picture for their archives, or even to post on their website.

• 4 months later...

Several of my CW relatives...all on the distaff side of the family

just one direct relative Pvt Ziba P Sayre [1813-1879] 4th Regiment ONG

http://suvcw.org/past/swander.htm

In family papers was a copy of his discharge ...the 4th Reg ONG was federalized as the 134th OVI the official roster misspelled his name as "George Sayre" although they did get his age right [51] Ziba and his brother-in-law David Moore who was also was abut Ziba age were not allowed on active duty due to age...ironically Ziba son William Moore Sayre Co K 66th OVI wrote his father he was glad Ziba would not have to be on the campaign as he probably could have stand the campaigning. Later William Sayre died of wounds in a skirmish Kenesaw Mountian Ga...[sorry according to family records no picture taken of William M Sayre]

Charles Cole. Relative on my mom's side. He was paid $500 to serve in the place of a draftee.

post-160978-0-29277000-1517847215_thumb.jpgpost-160978-0-88981100-1517847231_thumb.jpg

Mom, her sister and 4 brothers all served honorably in WWII so I guess the family atoned. :)

My Great-great-Grandfather, Jesse Lestridge Jones. Enlisted in Company F, 13th Regiment Virginia Volunteers in 1862. Became the 13th Regiment West Virginia when West Virginia became a state in 1863. Was wounded (left arm) in a skirmish at Opaquin Creek near Winchester, VA on September 19, 1864. Returned to Company F in November 1864 and mustered out on June 22, 1865 in Wheeling, WV.

post-913-0-27127800-1518276693_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

I have several Civil War veteran ancestors in my direct family lines.

Among them are my 3rd Gr. Grandfather, Sergeant James B. Rogers and his twin sons Pvt. George W. Rogers and Pvt. Francis M. Rogers shown below in 1862. They served together in Company G of the 12th Kentucky Infantry. Family stories handed down state that the twins were captured as were their Confederate Tennessee cousins, another set of family twins. All survived their captivity.

Sgt James B. Rogers w. twin sons George and Francis.jpg

I put together a video with the 1/6 figures I made to honor my Great-Great Grandfather and his sons.

Well done.

I edited your youtube link so a preview is shown in the post.

Here is a GG Grand Uncle, Wilford Hayden. M Company 3rd Kentucky Mounted Rifles CSA. He enlisted at 41 years old! He survived the war and is buried in Graves County KY. Scott

post-104832-0-87667100-1553497768.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have never found a CW relative but if 24th_infantry (post # 52) is reading this, in my collection I have Russell Alger's copy of the three volume set of the Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Unioin and Confederate Armies; known as the OR's. I also have a copy of an Illinois Span/Am regimental history that was sent to R.A. Alger when he was the US Secretary of War. Both came from a Michigan book seller. I knew Alger's granddaughter's husband and their desendents have a pocket watch presented to Col. Alger by the Michigan Cavalry Brigade. It has engraved all the CW actions that Alger served at. With the Custer connection, this watch is probably the most historic item I have ever held in my hand.

Illinigander

• 1 year later...

I have two family members who fought in the ACW. One Union, my GGGGGR Grandfather Pvt. Francis M. Bassett Co.E 1st NY Dragoons and the second, his older brother, Pvt. George H. Bassett Co.A 21st Alabama Vol. Infantry Rgt. CSA. Both brothers are buried in NY. I personally own Francis Bassetts' discharge paper, spy telescope and sword. The 1st NY Dragoons mainly fought in the Shenandoah Valley region of Virginia. His confederate brother, George H.'s  regiment fought at the Hornets Nest at Shiloh and was later stationed as a security detachment where the Confederate submarine the Hunley was made. George H. is also mentioned several times in the book, "From That Terrible Field" Civil War Letters of James M. Williams, 21st Alabama Infantry. 

Here are some photos of their CW legacy. The man pictured is George H.

fullsizeoutput_49e5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_49e4.jpeg

4. George H Bassett.jpg

Great Garampa Bassett and George H grave markers 006.jpg

Great Garampa Bassett and George H grave markers 009.jpg

• 10 months later...
Primoris Scio

Two of my 3rd great grandfathers fought in the CW, I wrote about them already in seperate posts as I was researching their units, so I have provided their links.  I do not have any photos of them or their regiments, however, I did find their regimental flags, we can see how much they were used, and how fragile they were.

Name:  William Manning Voorhis

Side:  Union

Regiment State/Origin:  Ohio

Regiment Name:  83rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry 

Company:  I & G

Rank In: Private

Rank Out: Sergeant

Sgt. Voorhis volunteered on August 22, 1862 and served until August 10, 1865 with the same regiment throughout; they fought at Vicksburg under the command of Gen. W.T. Sherman. 

Name:  Jabez Izzard

Side:  Union

Regiment State/Origin:  Indiana

Regiment Name:  29th Indiana Volutneer Infantry (August 27, 1861 - November 1862) 

87th Indiana Regiment Infantry (March 5, 1864 -  June 9, 1865)

42nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry (June 9 - July 21, 1865)

Company:  D in all 3 regiments

Rank In: Private

Rank Out: Private

Pvt. Izzard volunteered 4 months and 15 days after the war started when he was a 43 year old father with 7 children, he fought at the Battle of Shiloh during this period.  He volunteered again in 1864 and his regiment fought in every campaign that Gen. W.T. Sherman commanded from Atlanta to the Sea and into the Carolinas.  He was a legendary man and his actions would later motivate his grandson (one of my great-grandfathers) to volunteer for service in WW1 as an 18 year old 10 days after the US declared war, although he never made it overseas.

12 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

Boy I had a senior moment here as I didn't realize that I had already posted this once before in 2017.  If the moderators can removed Post 96 & 97 as they are duplicated above.

Got it! No problem! We all have moments like that . . . actually, I don't know how I missed this thread totally! :) 

Mom's GGG Grampa on her Mother's side served in the Union with the 101st OVI. He was with Sherman on the March to the Sea. An older cousin had some family letters and pictures, and we were able to take the comp up there and scan some (which was a feat in itself, since she was a bit of a hoarder and almost had a heart attack that we were actually "touching" the things. This was back in the olden days, though, as we had to truck the entire CPU and large-bed scanner  up there, and put the files on floppy disks! ;) ). Here is a tin type of him in uniform with gun, a picture of some of his unit on Lookout Mountain when they were there (don't know which is him, but one of them is), the front of one of the letters he wrote home (this is Oct 1862), and then one of him in his GAR jacket and wearing the GAR medal. 

John Stubbs CW tin type good VA.jpgLookout Mountain AJ.jpg

oct2862 envelope.jpg

John Stubbs reunion full shot.jpg

I can recommend the book 'Portraits of Our Civil War Ancestors' by William S Corser, detailing the participation of members of the Corser Family who fought in the War. There are listed a large number of Corsers who fought, with potted biogs. It's published by Infinity Publishing, infinitypublishing.com

Bill

Good day all, Just saw this post...

I have, what I consider to be a pretty fascinating Civil War family history. What follows is on my mother's paternal side of the family. There is more on my mother's maternal side as well, however it is not at all as interesting as these folks.

Briefly...

My grandfather, Mortimer Nathan Hale, served in the US Navy during WWI. His father, Mortimer Wilson Hale Jr. although aged 29 years at the time of the Spanish American War appears to have not served - he has no extant military records that I have been able to locate.

However, his grandfather, my 3x Great Grandfather Frederick E. Hale and his five sons, James, Edward, William, Frank and Mortimer Wilson Sr. (my 2x Great Grandfather) all served the Federal Army during the Civil War. 

James Hale enlisted in the 11th NY "Ellsworth's Zouaves" just five days after Fort Sumpter. I presume he saw action with the regiment at First Bull Run, fighting atop Henry Hill. The history of the regiment at Bull Run is quite storied as they say so no need to detail it here.  James, then as Sergeant would be discharged along with the remainder of the regiment on June 2, 1862, however he was not yet done with the war.

In May of 1862 James' father, Frederick, along with his son Willian enlisted in the 83rd NY, both placed in Company E.  Soon after, another son, Edward, would join the regiment serving in company I. Frederick, who had been promoted to Corporal, was discharged for an unknown disability in November at Muddy Branch, Maryland. However, he too was not done with the war either, tho time proves he should have remained at home.

Frederick would enlist in the 55th NY in January 1862 and promoted to Sergeant just two days later. That spring, as part of McClellan's advance up the Peninsula, the regiment would come to see see action atop Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862.  Frederick was wounded that day and left on the battlefield only to me taken up by Confederate forces. Sent to Libby Prison in Richmond, he would perish on July 24.

William and Edward remained with the 83rd NY and as part the Army of the Potomac, pursued Lee's Confederate army into Maryland. The regiment would ultimately see fighting in the famed Miller's cornfield and East Woods at Antietam on September 17, 1862. Either in the corn or among the trees, William would be found wounded. He would be discharged from hospital in Frederick Maryland in March 1863. Shortly after the battle of Antietam, Edward would leave the 83rd NY in October 1863. 

Edward next appears with the 8th Company 1st Battalion NY Sharpshooters along with his brother James who reappears after leaving the 11th NY. I presume they campaigned through Virginia with the unit before the 8th Co. was assigned to Berdan's Sharpshooters sometime after the battle of Gettysburg. Edward left the regiment as an unknown date and James would be discharged some time prior to July 22, 1863.

On July 23, 1863 James enlisted in the 18th NY Cavalry alongside his brother Mortimer. It appears Mortimer deserted the regiment soon after. Once captured, he spent time in prison at Fort Columbus (presently Ft, Jay) in New York harbor before being discharged in December.

James also left the regiment at an unknown date then next appears to have enlisted in the 1st NJ Light Artillery along with another brother, Frank. The pair was assigned to Battery D. During the Bermuda Hundred campaign in May of 1864, the battery was in action at Ware Bottom Church as part General Butler's forward line. When confederate forces under General Beauregard attacked this line on May 20, 1864 it was reported that cannister shot struck James Hale in the head, killing him instantly.

Frank would be discharged on June 17, 1865 at Richmond Virginia.

James, a true hero in my book, who at one point fought alongside three of his brothers, is fortunate to have a named headstone  in the City Point National Cemetery. 

Tree (2).jpg