150 Years Ago Today

bfryar44

Gents,

I think all of your comments have merit and your observations are spot on. Of course here in South Carolina, it's a pretty big deal. Alive and well is the debate on whether or not the war was about state's rights or slavery. It is a VERY politically charged subject to this day in the south, especially here (i.e. for some people-not me). By the way, SC's Ordinance of Secession is on exhibit at the state's Department of Archives and History and it was pretty interesting to read it first hand.

Yes, the reenactors are in full swing, beginning yesterday with cannon firings to mark the bombardment of Fort Sumter. A few weeks ago they recognized the taking of Columbia by Sherman's troops and did the same thing. It was strange sitting in my office, hearing cannons booming.

Obviously some of the commemorations will be better done than others, but if you have the money and time, and want to see where it all started, I highly suggest you visit South Carolina over the next few years.

Cheers,

Capa (Fielding)

Well hopefully the 150th anniversiary will spark some interest in history. I heard a stroy a few years ago about a professor who taught at the community college in Vicksburg MS. It was his last year teaching, and someone suggested to him, he take a poor student and just pass him. He thought okay that might be okay, Howver after grading the papers he found he just could not do this. One of the questions was Who were the opposing forces in the US cIVIL WAR. answer given... the US and France. Keep in mind this is Vicksburg... and this person grew up there,