150 Years Ago Today

bfryar44

I hate to admit it, but it has been slow to dawn on me that we are in the midst of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War.

I was around for the Centennial of the Civil War, and the level of public commemoration is strikingly more subdued.

I am sure the Civil War reenactors will be all geared up for the next 5 years, and perhaps their websites are already in full motion.

But back in the 1960's there seemed to be a lot more media coverage, and a lot more in the way of public events. Even the Post Office got into the act issuing a series of stamps commemorating key battles.

But that all seems to be missing today. What changed?

Image from http://honolulu.ebayclassifieds.com/m/View...age?adid=715745

Civil_War_stamps.jpg

It's too hard to pronounce sesquicentennial....

I was an assistant director for California State Parks when they were gearing up for California's 150th anniversary and big plans never materialized mainly because hardly anyone got excited. I think it's just not the kind of milestone date that strikes a chord, rather like a 35th wedding anniversary.

I suppose part of it is that in the 1960's there were still plenty of people who had known and spoken to a Civil War veteran, and heard the stories.

My concern is that the farther we get away from it, will it lose some of it's meaning?

I suppose part of it is that in the 1960's there were still plenty of people who had known and spoken to a Civil War veteran, and heard the stories.

My concern is that the farther we get away from it, will it lose some of it's meaning?

Unfortunately I think you are right about that. :crying:

Bryan

Btw, I think I'll dust off my Ken Burns "Civil War" dvd set. For those who have never seen it you need to watch it. Simply amazing work, on par with "The World At War" documentary.

I hate to admit it, but it has been slow to dawn on me that we are in the midst of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War.

I was around for the Centennial of the Civil War, and the level of public commemoration is strikingly more subdued.

I am sure the Civil War reenactors will be all geared up for the next 5 years, and perhaps their websites are already in full motion.

But back in the 1960's there seemed to be a lot more media coverage, and a lot more in the way of public events. Even the Post Office got into the act issuing a series of stamps commemorating key battles.

Image from http://honolulu.ebayclassifieds.com/m/View...age?adid=715745

The post office is again in on the act, yesterday they issued the first of 5 panels, a two sided issue. on one side is a stam with fhe Fort SUNTER april 12-13 1861, and a sta of the First Battle of Bull Run, the other side also has thes same stamps 5 each;

a real collectors item; and most PBS stations are redoing the Ken Burns Civil War History;

I too was around for the 1960's commeratives. Maybe it is just our age.. and the increased distrations in todays world.

Plus too the area of the country where you live

Plus too the area of the country where you live

True. I live in SC which is of course where Ft Sumter is located. We have had stories in our Sunday newspaper for several months. It has been on the news at night.

I believe it is more extensively covered in the South than the North. IMO it seems that the Northern states just don't care about the history of the Civil War. I read a book that said 4 out of 5 Southerners have a direct descendant who served in the Civil War. In the North it is around 1 out of 5 people who have a direct descendant.

(I forget the exact numbers but it was a huge difference).

...Kat

Gents,

I think all of your comments have merit and your observations are spot on. Of course here in South Carolina, it's a pretty big deal. Alive and well is the debate on whether or not the war was about state's rights or slavery. It is a VERY politically charged subject to this day in the south, especially here (i.e. for some people-not me). By the way, SC's Ordinance of Secession is on exhibit at the state's Department of Archives and History and it was pretty interesting to read it first hand.

Yes, the reenactors are in full swing, beginning yesterday with cannon firings to mark the bombardment of Fort Sumter. A few weeks ago they recognized the taking of Columbia by Sherman's troops and did the same thing. It was strange sitting in my office, hearing cannons booming.

Obviously some of the commemorations will be better done than others, but if you have the money and time, and want to see where it all started, I highly suggest you visit South Carolina over the next few years.

Cheers,

Capa (Fielding)

Obviously some of the commemorations will be better done than others, but if you have the money and time, and want to see where it all started, I highly suggest you visit South Carolina over the next few years.

I cannot agree more! There is nothing like seeing the stars on our capital where the cannon balls hit. There is nothing like seeing Charleston and Fort Sumter.

....Kat

My apologies Kat! I rarely start an email with 'gents' and your participation here reminds me why I shouldn't.

No apologies necessary! I understand. I am in a male dominated collecting field :lol:

"But that all seems to be missing today. What changed?"

Last evening's PBS News Hour broadcast featured a panel of 3 historians discussing the war - ALL of whom spent the entire time focused almost entirely upon what was and was not "the cause" of it - according to "distinguished historians who are in universal agreement about this."

It was also announced that 68% of the rest of us undistinguished ordinaries still believe that the cause was not the cause the distinguished historians said the cause was.

So, looks like nobody wants to discuss it unless it is used to discuss something else again ~ that's what has changed since the 1960s.

In our family, we had one on the gray side and four on the blue.

post-3976-1302708454.jpg

I knew for years I had a direct ancestor in 11th Cavalry, 108th PA Regiment, Co. G for pretty much the duration of the war. Depending which roster you read, he was a sergeant, first sergeant, and then finally 2nd lieutenant at the very end. Garrisoned outside of Ft. Monroe, I believe I calculated they had something like 20% casualties over a four year period due to various causes, but I would have to double check that. My family member survived.

Imagine my surprise when researching my Mother's side of the family when I found my maternal grandmother had two uncles who "moved to Mississippi (from the Lake Ontario region of New York) and fought for the South during the War of Rebellion". That is a family history I would love to track down... starting with what possessed them to move that far away to begin with!

These are some of the descendents of Confederate immigrants celebrating the event not far from where I live. Not sure if the Coke can is period.

post-19-1302907164.jpg

I knew for years I had a direct ancestor in 11th Cavalry, 108th PA Regiment, Co. G for pretty much the duration of the war. Depending which roster you read, he was a sergeant, first sergeant, and then finally 2nd lieutenant at the very end. Garrisoned outside of Ft. Monroe, I believe I calculated they had something like 20% casualties over a four year period due to various causes, but I would have to double check that. My family member survived.

Imagine my surprise when researching my Mother's side of the family when I found my maternal grandmother had two uncles who "moved to Mississippi (from the Lake Ontario region of New York) and fought for the South during the War of Rebellion". That is a family history I would love to track down... starting with what possessed them to move that far away to begin with!

Was he in both the 11th Cavalry (U.S. or State?) and Company G, 108th Pennsylvania? If you PM his name, I can send you all the information on him, and his unit that I have.

These are some of the descendents of Confederate immigrants celebrating the event not far from where I live. Not sure if the Coke can is period.

Very cool that they are remembering the Confederate immigrants! The uniforms they are wearing need some work, though! :lol:

No apologies necessary! I understand. I am in a male dominated collecting field :lol:

Hi Kat... Just so you will know during the Civil War there where at least 750 Women who successfully signed on and served in either the Union or Rebal forces. very few where reveled as women druing their army stint. Some of the names you might want to note would be Sara COLLINS of Wisconsin who was discovered by the way she put on her shoes. Two under General SHERIDANS COMMAND WHERE DISCOVERED WHEN THEY GOT DRUNK AN FELL into a river and had to be resuced.

Most where discovred only when wounded or killed

other names of women who served Frances Hook, Florina Baldwin. Info just to pass on, that I thought you might find interesting

Hi Kat... Just so you will know during the Civil War there where at least 750 Women who successfully signed on and served in either the Union or Rebal forces.

Thanks for the info. I actually have a book about women who served in the Civil War. It is in my huge stack of books to read.

I also heard of a woman Civil War vet who was not allowed to participate in a Veteran's Day Parade.

...Kat

Not to mention all the women who took care of the wounded of BOTH sides.

Erwin

There were also women spies. We are crafty women! ;):lol:

teufelhunde.ret
I cannot agree more! There is nothing like seeing the stars on our capital where the cannon balls hit. There is nothing like seeing Charleston and Fort Sumter.

....Kat

.. and so ironic, down here in the Lowcountry. Hardly a thing going on and we were the heart of the secession!

Thanks for the info. I actually have a book about women who served in the Civil War. It is in my huge stack of books to read.

I also heard of a woman Civil War vet who was not allowed to participate in a Veteran's Day Parade.

...Kat

Kat

A couple of years ago here on USMF we had a conversation going on for a little while with a woman CW reenactor who found herself denied participation in outings - even though she was a direct descendant of that exact unit, and was well informed historically. Never did hear back if her appeal was successful. I hope it was.

Kat

A couple of years ago here on USMF we had a conversation going on for a little while with a woman CW reenactor who found herself denied participation in outings - even though she was a direct descendant of that exact unit, and was well informed historically. Never did hear back if her appeal was successful. I hope it was.

It's a shame that there is still prejudice in today's society. There are probably 1000's of youth who do not know the contribution women have made.

Why not let a woman reenactor teach people the trutch?

PS. I am so glad that you are teaching your Granddaughter about women's roles in the military.

...Kat

That comes as no surprize, but it is a shame. I did a project once that actually went in to two didffernt direcctions. I coolect stamps also, and did a project that had people who served on contibuted to the cause for VARIOUS WARS.

IT evolved into anoather project that had women on stamps.

maybe at this point I should also say that in both collectin areas pathes and stamps I too am in the minority. so cheers to you

It's a shame that there is still prejudice in today's society. There are probably 1000's of youth who do not know the contribution women have made.

Why not let a woman reenactor teach people the trutch?

PS. I am so glad that you are teaching your Granddaughter about women's roles in the military.

I would be willing to bet that if you took the average 7th and 8th grade American History class and even asked what years the Civil War occured more than half would give the incorrect years, most could not name the Generals, and could not name the president of the confederacy. I work with a woman who is 37 , the other day she asked me out of the blue what was ment by the axis powers, and what the Yalta confernce was about. Maybe History class was taught after lunch for her and she slepted through US History.