AN5748 Vector Plotting Machine

hhc1stidf

You'd probably find one of these sets on the navigation table of a PBY. Cool stuff!

Thought it was USN, Thanks!

I THINK the "Low Altitude Bombing Adjustment" device fits the Norden bomb sight to allow it to be used "down and dirty". Need a Norden collector to say for sure.

Tom

I THINK the "Low Altitude Bombing Adjustment" device fits the Norden bomb sight to allow it to be used "down and dirty". Need a Norden collector to say for sure.

Tom

Thanks for letting me know! Now I need a Norden. That will take a while.

Thanks for letting me know! Now I need a Norden. That will take a while.

I have an email out to a Norden buddy. Will let you know here what he has to say.

Tom

Got this back from my buddy. Your item is a Norden accessory.

"The smaller piece of equipment (round dial on left and the black device on the right) is a automatic bombing computer. This speeds up the calculations of drift angle and tan angle for a known heading. Its used along with the box of tangent scales that have the TAS, Alt, disk speed and bomb type on them. I looked through the scales and the lowest ALT they can be used at is 1,500 ft and up to 30,000 ft."

There is another accessory that allows the Norden to be used in a low-level glide-bombing role. This is not that device.

Tom

Got this back from my buddy. Your item is a Norden accessory.

"The smaller piece of equipment (round dial on left and the black device on the right) is a automatic bombing computer. This speeds up the calculations of drift angle and tan angle for a known heading. Its used along with the box of tangent scales that have the TAS, Alt, disk speed and bomb type on them. I looked through the scales and the lowest ALT they can be used at is 1,500 ft and up to 30,000 ft."

There is another accessory that allows the Norden to be used in a low-level glide-bombing role. This is not that device.

Tom

Thanks again! I appreciate it!